How do you change the menu around?

Ephemeralic

Ephemeralic

I wanna change the menus so they have my own image, but I don't have the slightest idea where the menu files are located. Thanks for any help.

Fluffy Cupcake

The main background is \MENUDATA\BACKDRP.bmp

All the misc bits and bobs are found in the MENUDATA root.

Loading screen images are in the circuit's folder under \GAMEDATA\RACECxxx\

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

• Like 1

Ephemeralic
5 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Okay, thank you. Is it possible to convert .pngs to .bmps?

Now, whenever I replace a different image (.bmp as the extension) named "BACKDRP," the game claims it can't find the file, even though its in the LEGO.JAM. Anything I am doing wrong?

Fluffy Cupcake

There are many ways to convert .png to .bmp. Either using a converter program (or site) or re-saving the image as .bmp format

As for the not found. There could be many reasons why it can't find the file. I assume it is actually in the right spot so either the .jam was recompiled incorrectly, or perhaps it doesn't like the .bmp file you gave it.

Ephemeralic

Do you guys know the dimensions of the original backdrp.bmp? I still can't get it to work, case sensitive or not, so I wanna see if the size of my image is preventing the game from not working.

Fluffy Cupcake

BACKDRP.BMP is 640x480. I don't think dimensions is a problem though. I tried some odd values smaller and larger than the original, and it still worked for me.

As a side note, saving the image in either 8 or 24-bit didn't make a difference for me.

If you'd like to share the image either here or privately I'd gladly test it to ensure it is or isn't the problem.

• Like 1

Ephemeralic
8 minutes ago, Xiron said:

BACKDRP.BMP is 640x480. I don't think dimensions is a problem though. I tried some odd values smaller and larger than the original, and it still worked for me.

As a side note, saving the image in either 8 or 24-bit didn't make a difference for me.

If you'd like to share the image either here or privately I'd gladly test it to ensure it is or isn't the problem.

Alright, thank you for the help. I'll leave the file that won't work here. https://postimg.org/image/k96mklwo7/

Ephemeralic
Just now, CaptainGolem said:

That's a .jpg image, the original is in .BMP.

The service I used for posting the image for free automatically converts it into a .jpg. The image in my LEGO.JAM is a .BMP.

5 minutes ago, CaptainGolem said:

That's a .jpg image, the original is in .BMP.

Here is an image showing that it is indeed a .bmp file. https://postimg.org/image/x1m26547l/

CaptainGolem
6 minutes ago, LegoRacersFanForever said:

The service I used for posting the image for free automatically converts it into a .jpg. The image in my LEGO.JAM is a .BMP.

I just tried your image and it works perfectly fine. What did you use to convert your image to .BMP? Are you sure you rebuilt your LEGO.JAM correctly?

CaptainGolem
2 minutes ago, LegoRacersFanForever said:

I used http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-bmp to convert. I'll try rebuilding my LEGO.JAM. I appreciate all the help.

I tried using the website and couldn't get it to work, so that might be the problem. Try opening your .PNG image in MS Paint, Paint.NET or similar software and re-save it in .BMP. Make sure the .BMP is in capital letters.

Ephemeralic
4 minutes ago, CaptainGolem said:

I tried using the website and couldn't get it to work, so that might be the problem. Try opening your .PNG image in MS Paint, Paint.NET or similar software and re-save it in .BMP. Make sure the .BMP is in capital letters.

Trying it now.....

"FATAL ERROR: BACKDRP.BMP NOT FOUND" I re-saved it in MS Paint as a .BMP file and it is still giving me trouble. Maybe it has something to do with my LEGO.JAM?

56 minutes ago, LegoRacersFanForever said:

Here is an image showing that it is indeed a .bmp file. https://postimg.org/image/x1m26547l/

That seems to show the file extension is in lowercase...

Make sure it is uppercase.

Ephemeralic

Sorry for asking so many questions, but does anyone know where the "Lego Media" screen is located? The one that shows before the Menu loads. Also, the Lego Racers Logo that appears on the Menu?

Fluffy Cupcake

/Menudata/Legal/SPLASH1.BMP

/Menudata/RACERS.BMP

I sense an incoming question asking about how to make transparency work coming soon.

Ephemeralic
Just now, Xiron said:

/Menudata/Legal/SPLASH1.BMP

/Menudata/RACERS.BMP

I sense an incoming question asking about how to make transparency work coming soon.

Thanks. But I've beat the game on this PC and everything is transparent so I don't need it.

Ephemeralic
Just now, Xiron said:

Lol whut? I don't know what beating the game has to do with image transparency. :P

I suspected you were talking about those little images in the courses that are meant to be transparent but aren't on modern OS'. I mentioned beating the game because that means you play every track, and I was trying to tell you that there are no transparency issues anywhere for me.

Alright, I have replaced my image in the game as a .BMP, but it shows up as nothing but black.

Ephemeralic
1 hour ago, Xiron said:

Lol whut? I don't know what beating the game has to do with image transparency. :P

Oh, I understand now. And yes, I do have a question on how to make it transparent.

Fluffy Cupcake

You need to make sure the background colour is the same as the original, and you need to save the file with INDEXed colours, meaning image converter program/sites won't do, not even MSPaint, you need something more fancy. I'm not really sure what programs are capable of this feature, unfortunately.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.