Forum: Model & Save-section

tomfyhr

Similiarly to the forum Raymanpc, which has save-file for the major Rayman-games, it would be interesting to do something similar on this forum.

On this forum there could be a section which includes save-files for the major video games from Lego media for, first and foremost, the platform PC. Each save-file will correspond to a certain major event in the game, for example the beginning, middle and end points of a world, or 100% save files for Lego Racers for example. In the case of sandbox games such as Lego Loco, there could be one save file for each created level.

In contrast to Raymanpc, which does not have the ability to extract the content from the archive files, this forum does. According to this post, they seem to love they idea of a "RayModels"-section on their forum, if they had the ability to extract the archive files for their respective games. 1 Its a section in which includes models from the respective video games, categorized based on their role in the game, t.ex character, props, foes, allies etc. Since the forum do have access to the models from the archive files, there is now a possibility to form a compilation of models with their icons, similar to the site The VG Resources has.

I believe that this would make the community more organized and it would be easier for newcomers to acquire the files, without having to ask a dozen of people in vain, or manually extract the file themselves, which could become rather troublesome and a waste of time, since many users already have done it. It will simply be an extension of Oresome.

I just want to note that I am not certain whether or not it goes against this forum´s rules or not.

Additionally, I do not believe this suggestion goes against the copyright law. It would only go against the copyright law, if the material is redistributed for commercial purposes, which is not in this case. This archive will only be used for reference and study purposes, which will classify this effort as ´fair-use´. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

1http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24211

Fluffy Cupcake

I think a separate topic for each individual game with a mass save list, or a mass models list world be much more approved on a forum like this rather than having a category/subforum dedicated to it.

7 minutes ago, Xiron said:

I think a separate topic for each individual game with a mass save list, or a mass models list world work much better on a forum like this rather than having a category/subforum dedicated to it.

Yes, as a separate entity from the forum, like Oresome, where the model or save-files is categorized by the game and then sub-categorized by the level from the respective games. 

Fluffy Cupcake

Ah yep, a very organized Oresome would also do the trick. You'd have to try hard to convince Cyrem that it will be worth his while to spend time making these organizations though. :P

If it was back in the day when Cyrem was a less busy man it might of been easier to get this to fly.

12 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Ah yep, a very organized Oresome would also do the trick. You'd have to convince Cyrem that it will be worth his while to spend time making this organization though. :P

It is essentially a win-win situation. Enthusiasts can easily acquire the models to observe and study, and the forum can acquire an increased reputation by having the organization as major point of attention.

By this time I assume that someone on the forum already have categorized the models on their hard-drives, so the only thing that is required is space on the forum to upload the models and save-files, which can be done by the press of a button.

The organization will be executed by volounteers and enthusiasts, not Cyrem alone. Since they will attain an easier access to the material, I believe the would be glad to contribute.

Fluffy Cupcake

I do a lot of stuff with models, and while I do have a bunch I don't have every model, and certainly not in the best organization. I just get what I want/need, maybe a few extras and that's it.

There's literally thousands of models across all games and I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to spend time ripping/converting models I don't need and use up storage space I could be using for something else.

I'm kinda doubtting anyone else here has a bunch of well organized models on their hard drive either.

That being said, if there were such a place to upload I might consider ripping models I don't need and upload them. (I sometimes already upload models to the Models section of VG-Resource, but that's another story)

I can agree on the win-win in regards that if there's one thing I know, the more content provided for consumers to chow on, the more traffic will increase, thus increasing the site in popularity in some ways and perhaps it will grab us some "oh, these guys like what I like" people along the way. Even if people don't join, more will know about us which is always a good thing.

23 minutes ago, Xiron said:

I do a lot of stuff with models, and while I do have a bunch I don't have every model, and certainly not in the best organization.

There's literally thousands of models across all games and I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to rip/convert models I don't need and use up storage space I could be using for something else.

I'm kinda doubtting anyone else here has a bunch of well organized models on their hard drive either.

That being said, if there were such a place to upload I might consider ripping models I don't need and upload them. (I sometimes already upload models to the Models section of VG-Resource, but that's another story)

You know what they say, every one-mile journey starts with one single step. While it may not be an extensive archive at first, it may eventually include all models. Thousands of models may be an overstatement. If multiple groups of individuals are responsible for certain parts of the game to rip over a long period of time, the process will not be as tedious and the models will add up eventually. 

I do not expect one person to single-handedly upload all models. That would be cruel.

Of course, I am not counting the terrain, but most props and character models should suffice.

Personally, I do not have any objections contributing with models, if there is interest by the community to keep the archive alive.

(You can use the argument as to why someone haven´t uploaded the models there instead, but that is off-topic.)

Fluffy Cupcake

When it comes to projects like this I get quite enthusiastic as I love helping people out. Heck, I'd even teach people if they wanted to help with this and didn't know how.

But alas, I know this site all too well. Currently a lot of people are in college or they scrape up some other 'excuse' as to why they can help out and this will get left to one or two people, maybe three if lucky, or a few more if the project interests some. As for those two said people,  that would be you and I. You the head guy, and me the #1 assistant.

It's sad but I speak what truth I can.

I do enjoy reading posts that have been well written and formatted, thanks @tomfyhr. Regarding your suggestion, which more or less revolves around the improving of Oresome to have a better category system for the various games and uploads; I will agree that improvement is needed. And I'm quite happy to tell you (and @Xiron) that I have already been looking at making such improvements.

If the community wishes, they can propose a category tree for Oresome.

Fluffy Cupcake

Welp, time for The Great Tree Discussion then! =P

Kinda hoping we gets some drawn out ideas from several community members now.

Perhaps you Cyrem should make a separate topic about this and either put it under the showcased topics sidebar or make an announcement over the chatbox?

15 minutes ago, Xiron said:

When it comes to projects like this I get quite enthusiastic as I love helping people out. Heck, I'd even teach people if they wanted to help with this and didn't know how.

But alas, I know this site all too well. Currently a lot of people are in college or they scrape up some other 'excuse' as to why they can help out and this will get left to one or two people, maybe three if lucky, or a few more if the project interests some. As for those two said people,  that would be you and I. You the head guy, and me the #1 assistant.

It's sad but I speak what truth I can.

Better than nothing. It may act as a base. Hopefully, it may create a domino effect, if some progress is made, causing more individuals to help over time.

I will gladly take initiative.

13 minutes ago, Cyrem said:

I do enjoy reading posts that have been well written and formatted, thanks @tomfyhr. Regarding your suggestion, which more or less revolves around the improving of Oresome to have a better category system for the various games and uploads; I will agree that improvement is needed. And I'm quite happy to tell you (and @Xiron) that I have already been looking at making such improvements.

If the community wishes, they can propose a category tree for Oresome.

You have my sincerest, uttermost gratitude.

Could you elaborate on the "category tree"? Will it be possible to create our own categories in Oresome in a not-so-distant future, and possibly including images attached to the files?

3 minutes ago, Xiron said:

How it's going to be structured, i.e. how it's going to be organized.

The short answer would be to imitate The VG Resource and RaySaves, where users can submit files with images visible, while they have the ability to create their own categories. Create a category titled "Lego Media Models", followed by the titles of the games. For each game there is a sub-category for each kind of model, e.g character, props, creatures etc.

13 hours ago, Xiron said:

I think if we wanted a system with such complex features we'd have to get webdev le717 in here. :P

That will depend on his enthusiasm and degree of tenacity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.