Games You Played A Long Time Ago

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

What were some of the games you've played a long time ago that you haven't really played in your current days? I'd say 8+ years is roughly around "a long time ago" demos/trials are allowed so long as you've played them a lot!

Here's a few of mine:

Developer: WildTanget

Game: Cannonballs!

J0KPPVh.jpg

I recall a little bit about this game, but not much as if I remember it didn't run too well on the computer or something. It's a turn based game (if I'm recalling correctly - again I didn't play it much) and the goal of the game is to destroy the other cannons around the map. It's too bad WildTanget discontinued, because I wanted to try out the demo again and I can't find it, and to top it off I can't even find any videos of this game on the internet! :o

Developer: BraveTree Productions

Game: ThinkTanks (buy or get the game's trial here)

This game is a live action tank shooter. It's pretty simple - destroy all other enemy tanks (I'm not sure how online works in this regards - maybe you get lives). There's powerups, game affecting objects i.e. boost pads and jump pads. I recall going on a server once and everyone was UFOs. That was pretty interesting.

This was a game I've only ever played the trial of.

Developer: Aliasworlds

Game: Snowy the Bear

I never played the full game, dunno why (looking now, is it freeware or not...?), but the objective here is to defeat all the enemies on the map using snowballs, if a snowballs gets big enough it can roll and bounce all over around the map and freeze enemies if it touches them, or destroy them if they are already frozen - you yourself can even get caught in the crazy snowball, so be careful!

Developer: Team17

Game: Worms 3D - Demo 2 (amazingly the game's site is still up)

For those unfamiliar with the Worms series, Worms is a turn-based combat game where the goal is to destroy all other worms on the other team.

Worms 3D demo 2 consisted of one single player mission on the titanic map, and the 2 player vs. multiplayer map (mode I played most - and with my brother). This demo was the first 3D worms game I ever played.

After this came Worms World Party (2D) and Worms Forts Under Siege (3D - but different play style) demos.

Developer: Microsoft

Game: Motocross Madess 2

Goal of this game? Dunno. I've only played the demo, never watched any videos (not even the one above it was just the first grabable media link). But it sure was a heck of a lot of fun driving a bike around and doing this. You wanna know what was also fun in this game? Driving to the edge of the map and getting blasted like a bullet into the air back towards the map when you hit a boundary! :P

Developer: Ingava

Game: Outbound (not the original developer's site which is dead, but this freeware game can be downloaded here if you're interested)

268-2.jpg

In this arcade-type game you're an Armored Mobile Vehicle taking down enemies bases across 8 different worlds. The game is pretty simple but the stages are pretty lengthy and no save feature exists. I never can be bothered to make it past level 1. :P

Again this is another game that has no videos on the internet sadly, and there isn't even any good screenshots larger than 300px.

I think I might have a few more games out there, but this is all I'm going to list for now.

We didn't own very much games back in the day, so my siblings and I played a lot of demos, and any new games we got were a big thing!

Have any you'd like to share? Do you share any of the same games as being old or has someone brought up nostalgia? Leave a comment!

- Lemmings 3D:

Lemmings 3D or, as it is sometimes referred to; 3D Lemmings is a puzzle/strategy game that takes the infamous 2D game of directing small lads with no self-preservation and adds a third dimension. This 3D adaption was created by Clockwork Games and was published by Psygnosis in 1995 for PC and then in 1996 for the Playstation and Sega Saturn.

Wikipedia Page for Psygnosis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psygnosis

Wikipedia Page for Clockwork Games: [There is no such page, apparentally]

Wikipedia Page for Lemmings 3D: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Lemmings

To be honest, I don't remember much of this game, except for the one or two occasions where I'd nuke the level only for my Grandad to summarise the destruction with the words "Oh dear" (Maybe that influenced my willingness to abuse Kerbals in KSP...)

Sadly, this game won't to run on modern hardware, and MS DOS emulators cause the game to run at a snail's pace (roughly 1 or 2 frames a second), meaning the Playstation edition is the superior version, as long as you have a Playstation (1) that is.

Return to Blockland

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Gran Turismo 2

LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game

Call of Duty 2

origamihero
7 minutes ago, AaronBurner05 said:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Gran Turismo 2

Call of Duty 2

But you're not 18 yet :0  1 more day aaron :P

1 hour ago, origamihero said:

It isn't the law, it's only a recommendation. You can play games with a higher age rating.

2 hours ago, origamihero said:

lol, I think that RTB had a worse influence on me as a pre-teen than any of the M-rated games I listed :P

What timing! I recently pulled out a game that fits this thread to a T.

Croc 2. Specifically the PC version.

It's sort of an interesting thing for me, since I played it a damn lot as a kid, but never, ever got past the first world. I was just bad at videogames back then, plus playing a 3D platformer with keyboard controls is really difficult.

nevertheless, that mine level music is deeply ingrained in my memory.

Pacman World 2, a platformer I used to play quite a bit when I was younger. I decided to revisit it recently and was reminded of how difficult it can be at times.

A long time ago? About a loooong time ago, as in, when I 4 or 5..

Sammy's Science House. I LOVED this game. Spent hours playing (most of) it. I was scared of the trash cans (for reasons unknown). The Weather Station was my favorite. I can quote lines from that area and remember the voice they were spoken in.

Fluffy Cupcake

Now I'm going even further back in time to the period of educational games:

Developer: The Learning Company

Games: Treasure Seekers 3-pack, specifically this pack containing Treasure Cove, Treasure Mountain, and Treasure Mathstorm:

418oLHCoZEL.jpg

I'm pretty sure I talked about these games with a couple people here on this forum on the shoutbox several years back.

Anyhow, this pack contains re-release, I only know because the versions I found on the internet seemed a bit more... dated. ;P

Basically, the gist of the games is that you go around solving problems which slowly progress you to the end to defeat the villain.

Game: Spellbound (I'm sure some of you saw me upload music of this randomly a few years back. =P)

Super_solvers_spellbound_coverart.jpg

In this game your aim is to become the best speller in the world. Simple enough eh? :P

Game: Reader Rabbit Math 6-9

Played this a ton as a kid, dunno so much about the other RR games, I think I may have played some others in the series, but not nearly as much as this one.

One time a couple years ago I went to the library, and I saw this being played on the computer by some kid. I was like "Oh wow! That thing is still around? What's the name of that game again? I can't recall." (I didn't see the rabbit on screen, so that didn't help)

And then just now I look up the name "Reader Rabbit" because that name was somewhat familiar to me, and then viola I came across this one.

Developer: The Learning Company (wow, they made a lot more games than I thought!)

Game: The Cluefinders - 3rd Grade Adventures: The Mystery of Mathra

clue3rd.jpg

I played this a bit, I think I may have gotten help with some things, or I ended up just watching someone else play.

I'd tell the game's goal/story, but my memory is so distorted on it I'd probably botch it up pretty bad, so I won't. :P

Developers: Broderbund & The Learning Company (had two versions)

Game: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

51cLOUO0oAL.jpg

Followed by

51MHPQGZTCL.jpg

The first one we had for a while, but as we got older the non-junior version was got. Either way, I barely played either of them, though I'm pretty sure I watched some. :P

Developer: Humongous Games

Games: Several Spy Fox, Freddie Fish, Pajama Sam, and Putt-Putt games. I won't go into detail as the list is a bit extensive.

There was one non-educational game I forgot to mention earlier, and it's pretty important as it helped start my modding and beyond career.

Developer: Cyan Inc.

Game: Uru: Ages Beyond Myst

Uru_box_art.png

"But Xiron, don't you play this game once in a while nowdays?" - yes, sorta. But this was before the Complete Chronicles expansion and the free online Live version even existed. This was one of, if not the first game that I recall ever making a modification to. The type of modification I did you ask? Sound. Goofy sounds. The sounds were in a pretty simple sound format (.wav) so it was easy.

I'm not sure what game came first for sound modding, this or the demo version of Worms World Party, as you could also make voice banks for that with .wav files (or at least I'm forced to believe by an archived soundbank of my young self that comes in .wav format).

The Ace Railgun

I use to play Runescape back in the day, (when my family wasn't using a phone) with a friend of mine. I had lots of fun in runescape, though it was never too difficult and I got really into it, like a little to into it...

4757582889_f9949e8247.jpg

I also played Riven when I was around 5 with my parents, and that is what started my Myst craze, I freaking loved those minecart rides, and the Maglev car.

The Magic School Bus was a pretty big part of my life as a kid too,  and I used to play those games that were like point and click discovery games, that had various little mini games. They usually kept me entertained for about 5 minutes or so and I finished all of them really quickly.

MagicSchoolBus-SolarSystem_PC.jpg

I almost forgot about some PC games I played when I was 4-5.

Woody Woodpecker Racing

Pac-Man All Stars

Mr. Potato Head Saves Veggie Valley

Hot Wheels CRASH!

Fluffy Cupcake
1 hour ago, The Ace Railgun said:

The Magic School Bus was a pretty big part of my life as a kid too

Oh yep, I forgot about that one, include a few of those games for me too! (I also loved the show).

• 3 weeks later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Here's a few more:

Developer: Blitwise Productions

Game: Pocket Tanks

pocket-tanks-1.jpg

It's basically Shellshock Live of the early 2000s. I don't know how much of the game is exactly free, but I'm pretty sure there is a basic mode you can do without having to pay for anything. I was looking up the game on wikipedia, and apparently it has got several updates, and is even now available for androids.

I don't know the backstory of how we got to playing this as kids, but hey, it happened so there. I find it incredible I can actually list so many games I've played from my childhood that I've never owned. There is like perhaps 25% of them only I don't know the name of (or maybe there is more and I just don't remember the games at all?)

Developer: Hasbro Interactive

Game: Frogger He's Back! (aka Frogger 3D)

frogger_2016_06_17_00_49_33_47.png

Yeah yeah, I know, I just Let's Played this game not too long ago, but hey, I thought it deserved an honourable mention since I haven't play it since then.

As a kid I had difficultly completing most stages, and I wouldn't be surprised if I got so frustrated on some levels that I'd absolutely just rage quit. To this day some levels are STILL frustrating... and I love it, to an extent. Not enough games are bold enough to be tough in the way this one is. While not necessary to complete all levels, at this current day this is one game I don't regret completing 100%, because it leaves a great feel of accomplishment when you do. Even moreso when you don't use cheats (I'll admit, this game had me beat and there was one level I used the infinite lives cheat after spending a lot of time failing way, way way way way waaaaay too many times).

After I completed this game, I had a taste for more giant-frog adventuring, so as of about half a year ago I finally bought the sequal, Swampy's Revenge. I enjoy this game to an extent, and while it was good, I didn't quite enjoy it nearly as much, or at least not in the same way as Frogger: He's Back.

At this time I think it would be suitable to mention that I've played the Frogger 2 demo a couple times as a kid, although I don't have much to say on it except I thought it was somewhat cool, and I definitely would have liked it if we got it.

Developer: Software Allies (Publisher: Sierra)

Game: SODA Off-Road Racing

maxresdefault.jpg

I loved this game as a kid, not just because you could race in it, but you could also DESIGN your tracks, roads, checkpoints, heightmaps (cliffs were also a thing), water pools, objects, the whole kabang! (as a bonus, some objects could be knocked over and shoved - which is another thing I love in games). Just look at this editor (as an extra you could even switch to 3D view and fly around with all the textures loaded if you wanted as well). Never before and never again have I seen a game with such an extensive editor that you could customize every aspect about the landscape/track, and so easily too! If I recall the game had three themes, country, tropical, and dirt-lands so there was a few options to pick from if you ever got tired of seeing one.

It's just too bad we gave this game away in a fund-raiser yard sale, as it was a blast. :'(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.