A Review of LEGO Stunt Rally & Drome Racers

Vectrex4Life

origamihero

Oh wow, I didn't know you were part of RRU. I've seen some of your content before and really liked it keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Vectrex4Life
17 minutes ago, chromecrusher said:

Oh wow, I didn't know you were part of RRU. I've seen some of your content before and really liked it keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Thanks dude, appreciate it!

lol username

1:19 is gold. Overall a nice vidya.

Fun fact, the freeform driving mode in Stunt Rally was how the game was originally intended to be played, but LEGO thought the game would be too difficult to the target audience and asked for the developers to make cars steer automatically. The developers didn't like it, but hey, that's what LEGO wanted. At least they left it in the game, even if it's rather hidden.

Another fun fact, the career intro for Drome Racers is actually edited from this animation that plays/played in theaters at LEGOLAND theme parks:

ANOTHER FUN FACT: Drome Racers is internally named LEGO Racers 3. ATD was working on a LEGO Racers 4 (what its real name would have been is unknown), which would have been an open world game, but LEGO/EA weren't confident in the new tech for it and it was canceled very early in development.

There's also this bizarre advertisement in a catalog from 2004 for a game that hasn't been seen anywhere else - all we know is that it's "definitely not" LEGO Racers 4 according to people from ATD (plus ATD didn't even exist anymore in 2004):

100.jpg

There was also YET ANOTHER canceled LEGO racing game in 2009, for the DS and developed by Firebrand Games:

It doesn't look terribly impressive though, so we didn't lose anything, really.

• Like 1

Vectrex4Life

Wow, super interesting stuff! I have seen that 2004 ad and it looks pretty cool. I had no idea about LEGO Racers 4 though. Thanks for sharing!

aidenpons

Just some comments on LSR:

- /FREEFORM has a habit of introducing bugs whereby the game doesn't count laps properly, OR will not count you as passing part of the track - meaning if /IGTEST isn't on you will always jump backwards.

- /IGTEST makes death more than a slap on the wrist - if you fall into a pit or get stuck, you are stuck. The car respawning is COMPLETELY blocked. You have to restart the level.

- SR is playable by fruit: scroll down to the second to last post on pg 2:

- As far as "mods" go, you can make some...very difficult maps [/plug] that the AI can only complete because the car respawner boots them ahead of the obstacle. Quite fun l405G.jpg

DR's killer for me was an absolute lack of Lego-ness. The only thing that's Lego is the models - only the cars, nothing else - and you can't even do anything with them.

Keep it up. These are hilarious - I like your sense of humour.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.