Portal Racers Models

Lind Whisperer

Lind Whisperer

LEGO's digital offerings these last few years have been a pretty solid stream of "Meh*". TT's upping the variety a bit, but beyond that, LEGO hasn't really put out anything really spectacular since LEGO Universe.

One of the more unique offerings is "Portal Racers," a game that you apparently have to have a very specific camera to even /play/. Because that sounds logical.

Either way, LEGO does usually offer some pretty nice models with their games - LEGO Minifigures certainly had some better builds in it than that game deserved - and Portal Racers...

Well, it's certainly unique. Typically, these sorts of games are F1 Racers with BtF hoverwheels. For Portal Racers, they've gone with "Surfboard with Ludicrously Large Engines". It...honestly looks kind of awkward, from everywhere except the back. But they have some nice greebles, and the two decent reference pictures I can find are both of the Pirate chassis, and I like Pirates, so I figured I'd give it a go.

The Rules:

1. If I have to build it solely through guess-work, I'm going to color it magenta(Or "Bright Purple, according to LDD). There may be a second model in the file, with my best guesses as to what it might be colored, but the majenta one is the certain one.
2. I'm building on "best judgement". If I see a stretch of brown seven studs long, and I build it with a 3-stud and a 4-stud, don't blame me if twenty years in the future, a designer recounts that he actually built it with a 1-stud and a 6-stud. For some reason.
3. If you want me to take a crack at a specific car/modules, I need pictures of it. Not an awkward, 20 by 20 pixel snip from a weird angle, but a decent picture from the "Mod Shop" screen. An in-game shot couldn't hurt either.

So...Let's get building!

Here's my first reference image:

7f5a43c57b4c4758a2c344e2704de9a7.jpg
I have no idea what is keeping those green bottles in the chest. Also, as far as I can tell, neither of the back engine parts are from the "Pirates" line-up(and therefore, don't get top billing in my building line-up). They look like they're from this set-up - some sort of City car, I guess. No, scratch that, the Disco arrow is pointing at them. Kind of hum-drum for Disco, but "whatever"

And the second:

PlayerHome_2.png

The Pirate Modules:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LindWhisperer/Portalracers/pirate_modules.lxf

That might actually be a plate underneath the golden anchor; I can't tell from the angle. A tile made more sense for the placing, so I went with that. The bottle-crate render is showing an empty crate where I've placed the rocker, but it has to be there for the bottles to not fall out.

The Pirate Chassis(image flipped):

piratechassis.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/LindWhisperer/Portalracers/pirate_chassis.lxf

This one is missing a lot of pieces beneath it and in the back - if I had a shot from behind, I could do it better justice. You'll notice that all of the Plate with Holders used in these modules/chassis are curved - this is a modern part, created for Ninjago. And maybe some other themes, but it was really first used in Ninjago.

And finally, here's a comparison shot - flipped like the Chassis image, because it looks better:

piratecomparisonshot.png

The brackets aren't tilted quite right in the front, because of some sort of collisions issue with the muskets, but other than that...

*Apparently, the NEXO Knights app is, "like totally awesome," but I'm not a great fan of NEXO Knights.

• Like 3

origamihero

I don't know if this is just the games fault but it looks like in the last picture the girl's legs are submerged into the ship/hovercraft.

But since you're adding on to the hovercraft from the 2nd to the last picture I believe its just the game.

You probably know this already, but we can get rid of that pesky camera requirement and thus get better pictures for you... You probably should be able to run it yourself (just grab it off lego.com) in any case.

We'll see how long this takes to be patched of any sort, but I've a feeling the game has no auto-update and we might be able to keep our test version. Given Lego's track record of updates, I'm inclined to think what we have is what we're going to have for the next millennium unless Terrev feels like modding it l405G.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.