Welcome Guest!

Did you know you that by registering, you can gain access to new special powers? You’ll be able to reply to Topics, create your own Topics, talk in our Chatbox, message members, manage your profile, access extra content and much more! Best of all, this message & ads will vanish!

Terrev

RIP LEGO Minifigures Online?

19 posts in this topic

A report from Funcom came in today:

http://www.funcom.com/investors/funcom_n.v._publishes_its_2015_annual_financial_statements

http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2016/FUNCOM_NV_Annual_Report_2015.pdf

Funcom communicated in the Q3 2014 report that the initial numbers coming in from the first weeks of live data indicated that it would take longer than planned to achieve the internal targets for player and revenue in 2014 and 2015. The Company has during 2015 been unable to improve these numbers. As a result of this the revenues generated by LEGO® Minifigures Online did not meet the internal forecasts. The Company has therefore fully written off the underlying assets of the game. As of the time of this annual report, the Company does not find it likely that any of the game metrics will improve, and has adjusted its investment in the game accordingly. The license agreement with LEGO for the LEGO® Minifigures Online game ends October 2016.

3 people like this

Umm...   ...yay?

1 person likes this

Ooooh noooo. How will we go on with our lives without this game (what's its name again?).

2 people like this

giphy.gif

6 people like this

I bet this is the last we'll see of LEGO and MMOs. 3 strikes and you're probably better off not stepping up to such a costly plate again.

1 person likes this

That took longer than expected.

2 people like this

Well. The hanger itself was terrible but you may know I was very interested in the worlds and models in the game. Since there won't be any updates now, I assume, now might be a good time to go take a look and catalogue it all. But I don't want to pay for a dead game. Hmm.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, le717 said:

That took longer than expected.

"What Le said."

2 hours ago, Pereki said:

I bet this is the last we'll see of LEGO and MMOs. 3 strikes and you're probably better off not stepping up to such a costly plate again.

I doubt it's the last. They'll take a step back, certainly, but I don't think it'll be the last.

Customer Service Emails* lately have actually hinted that LEGO is starting to remember that "Oh, yeah - we made a game called LEGO Universe, didn't we? And man, we sure get a lot of emails from people wanting to know what happened... Huh..." I wouldn't be surprised - I don't expect it, but I wouldn't be surprised - if we were to someday see some sort of LU2 - probably with a Ninjago-style "soft reboot**".

2 minutes ago, Fush said:

Well. The hanger itself was terrible but you may know I was very interested in the worlds and models in the game. Since there won't be any updates now, I assume, now might be a good time to go take a look and catalogue it all. But I don't want to pay for a dead game. Hmm.

At least some of the models were cribbed from LU***. Also, be prepared to waste hours on it - I only played F2P, but I can't imagine it being that much faster for paying players. Also, at least one of my fresh-out-of-the-bag minifig codes threw errors and refused to register.

*Yes, I know they're unreliable. Never-the-less...

**E.g., same universe, same continuity, but not directly referencing/continuing the original story - only occasional call-backs and shout-outs.

***The Pirate Shacks, for one, I would imagine there were others.

1 person likes this

rest in piece, you subpar diablo clone.

LEGO should've just bought Minecraft :Pand killed it

On 4/23/2016 at 9:42 AM, Lind Whisperer said:

Customer Service Emails* lately have actually hinted that LEGO is starting to remember that "Oh, yeah - we made a game called LEGO Universe, didn't we? And man, we sure get a lot of emails from people wanting to know what happened... Huh..." I wouldn't be surprised - I don't expect it, but I wouldn't be surprised - if we were to someday see some sort of LU2 - probably with a Ninjago-style "soft reboot**".

Don't count on it. If anything, Chima and Minifigures have shown that LEGO is still completely inept at managing MMOs. They keep trying to treat them like a theme. Do 1 original content release, fire the devs, keep it running for a year, then shutter it.

It's telling that their response when confronted with rising moderation costs in LU due to the addition of 2 million free-to-play players was to shut it down instead of thinking "Wow two million players joined when we removed subscription costs? We should switch our payment model so we can make money off of them!"

At this rate the next LEGO "MMO" will be a flash game with a $10 monthly subscription.

2 hours ago, jadebenn said:

At this rate the next LEGO "MMO" will be a flash game with a $10 monthly subscription.

^That^ would probably be better than Chima Online.

Is Chima Online still alive? No? Its rise to... existence... was so utterly non-notable that I haven't heard anything else of it.

On the plus side, LW can't have any subscription costs... I think, due to the way Steam works (probably wrong here). Seems unlikely that they'd change it in any case. We know there's going to be DLCs (well, we found a DLC folder l405G.jpg) but we also know that online multiplayer - MMO, effectively - will exist at some point in time. And if LW comes out to be the true sandbox it could be - there are so many TT games with missed potential and I hope that LW isn't another one - we effectively have a MMO we can customize to our own liking.

I have a feeling Alcom is making LU in LW when he's not making LR in it l405G.jpg If we get our hands on that vehicle editor - and not just the graphics but also statistics like speed - things should be great.

Should be.

1 minute ago, aidenpons said:

I have a feeling Alcom is making LU in LW

I don't build trash.

12 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Is Chima Online still alive? No? Its rise to... existence... was so utterly non-notable that I haven't heard anything else of it.

This should help clear things up.

1 hour ago, Alcom Isst said:

I don't build trash.

Ouch.

Lego always closes every online lego game.  It's one of Lego's biggest problems.

RIP LMO,
As a game, you were so-so.
Nobody cared about you, though.

With only 58 players on Steam at one time,

It's a surprise you didn't already lose your power line.

RIP LMO,

It is your time to go.

You will rest in peace on some HDD

Because the light of day, you will not soon see.

3 people like this

RIP, LMO.

It was high time for you to have come and go.

You had one good joke about a Pirate bay,

But a single joke can't make a bad game stay.

I played you once - heck, I played you twice,

I entered Minifigure Codes just to be nice.

But, the codes failed - and in the end, so did yo',

So, farewell, and goodnight, sweet L(ego)MO.

2 people like this