LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

Built myself a reference model of the exterior of the Hospital for now in Lego Worlds and something came up: the Hospital has a second floor with a balcony, do you want to involve this as well in the interior layout and stuff?

http://prnt.sc/df21eh

EDIT

This is the most decent reconstruction I could make of the only interior we know of in the Hospital

http://prnt.sc/df2aap

Edited by DarkianMaker
Second post addition

38 minutes ago, DarkianMaker said:

This is the most decent reconstruction I could make of the only interior we know of in the Hospital

http://prnt.sc/df2aap

Nice! From what I can tell in the original game, the door on the right is the front door. You can vaguely see the racetrack and such outside the door 

maxresdefault.jpg

So I'm thinking this first "room" can be mostly empty, with maybe some stairs ascending into the second level (which could possibly just be a door to the balcony). Then behind this "view" could be maybe a hospital bed/ER-type room?

Actually I'm shaping the interior like the shape of the Hospital and use a 4:1 conversion ratio. So the main room looks like to be a reception area so I could add a doctor's office and a room with some sickbeds without too much trouble.

Fluffy Cupcake

Wow, nice Worlds recreation! It looks good so far.

And yes, stairs to the upper level as bphillips was saying would be a good idea.

25 minutes ago, DarkianMaker said:

(and a painful wrist)

Maybe you need to visit the Hospital and stop getting that excited about it. :P

13 minutes ago, mumboking said:

Maybe you need to visit the Hospital and stop getting that excited about it. :P

6 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Haha, wow. That's large! Size shouldn't be a problem though. Keep at 'er! (so long as you don't break your wrist ;P)

Don't worry, I just switched my hand (and wrist) with a brand new one straight from the spare hands box :3

Also, Youtube video of the interior itself in a couple of minutes :D

---

Also, @Xiron strangely this works really great if you do Lego related work xD

---

Also, here's the link for the video in advance should be done in 5~ minutes

Edited by DarkianMaker
Clicked too early and double post prevention
  • Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

Aaaah, that's a bug that has produced serveral meme-istic informaniac sayings. The only thing I think that might fix it is changing the direct3D device the game uses in the game's Config.exe, otherwise I don't know. Alt+f4 also works well on this game if you don't care to save progress.

I might convert this build to a better one in LLD later today (but it's updating since I haven't used it in ages).

Should I do interiors for the Garage and the Police Station as well?

7 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Aaaah, that's a bug that has produced serveral meme-istic informaniac sayings. The only thing I think that might fix it is changing the direct3D device the game uses in the game's Config.exe, otherwise I don't know. Alt+f4 also works well on this game if you don't care to save progress.

Strange. I'm not too worried about it right now, but eventually I'll look into fixing it. Thanks!

1 minute ago, DarkianMaker said:

I might convert this build to a better one in LLD later today (but it's updating since I haven't used it in ages).

Should I do interiors for the Garage and the Police Station as well?

It's up to you! Any interiors will come in handy. Although, putting them into REDUX will take some time.

In terms of the InfoCenter, we have an enterable/exitable entryway (the rotating door), but other exteriors (hospital/police station/garage) will need to be modified to suit entryways like @Xiron did with the InfoCenter exterior. 

I have to create individual scripts for handling interior/exterior controls on a per-building basis and just doing the InfoCenter interior took a few hours of testing code to get it in a semi-working state. However, now that I have a decent system in place for transitioning from exterior to interior while keeping the lighting, audio, and handling intact, it shouldn't take nearly as long to do other buildings. 

17 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

It's up to you! Any interiors will come in handy. Although, putting them into REDUX will take some time.

I will get to tinkering then.

18 minutes ago, bphillips09 said:

In terms of the InfoCenter, we have an enterable/exitable entryway (the rotating door), but other exteriors (hospital/police station/garage) will need to be modified to suit entryways like @Xiron did with the InfoCenter exterior. 

Hmmm, that is indeed something to look at with the overall designs

I took a look at the latest version of this today, noticed the normals on some models were a bit wonky - maybe check this out?

2 minutes ago, Terrev said:

I took a look at the latest version of this today, noticed the normals on some models were a bit wonky - maybe check this out?

Hmm... do you have an example of any of the models where this happens? Most (if not all) models should have all faces forced outward where applied.

It's not a matter of facing outwards or not, you've got that taken care of - it's verts being welded together where they shouldn't be...

sSyWu1k.png

w6TahWE.png

... or the opposite, with some places getting hard/flat shading where it should be smoothed:

uXMT39S.png

WDm0uMJ.png

See the topic I linked to for an explanation of how it works.

Are you letting Unity auto-calculate the normals instead of importing them? That's a potential cause for it (though the normals for the models don't come out properly from the extractor to begin with, so the correct means of doing it would be to fix the models as shown in that topic + let Unity import those fixed normals).

51 minutes ago, Xiron said:

You can come up with extended designs for those buildings as well if you like.

Somehow missed this post, I might just go and do that. Also, do you happen to have pictures lying about of the Garage and Police Station interiors?

5 minutes ago, Terrev said:

It's not a matter of facing outwards or not, you've got that taken care of - it's verts being welded together where they shouldn't be

... or the opposite, with some places getting hard/flat shading where it should be smoothed:

Are you letting Unity auto-calculate the normals for you? That's a potential cause for it (though the normals for the models don't come out properly from the extractor to begin with).

Ah, I see what you're talking about. This currently isn't very high on my list of things to fix, but eventually I want to have it sorted out.

I'm having Unity calculate normals because when imported, the vertices are welded and distorted. I haven't yet decided if either keeping it this way (or similar), or going the way of original shading/smoothing will be the eventual goal. 

Fluffy Cupcake

@Terrev Thanks for your verts and smoothing expertise!

2 hours ago, DarkianMaker said:

Also, @Xiron strangely this works really great if you do Lego related work xD

I tabbed out not far from that while unaware you edited the post, and when I came back and I was like "wait, how'd I get to this topic?" xP

Anyhow, really nice layout you got there! Definitely less bland than my initial first quick thoughts on expansion. =P

52 minutes ago, DarkianMaker said:

Somehow missed this post, I might just go and do that. Also, do you happen to have pictures lying about of the Garage and Police Station interiors?

I've got many screenshots of just the island. Those being part of it. Get the stations here.

9 minutes ago, Xiron said:

I've got many screenshots of just the island. Those being part of it. Get the stations here.

Thanks! :D

Also, I think I prefer using Lego Worlds for the designing process, LDD is a pain to work with.

Aside from that, this is what I had in mind for the Garage interior as design and size. Pay close attention to what I did with the door, the Garage can be easily adjusted to have an airlock-like entrance for exterior-interior transitions.

Fluffy Cupcake
18 minutes ago, DarkianMaker said:

Aside from that, this is what I had in mind for the Garage interior as design and size. Pay close attention to what I did with the door, the Garage can be easily adjusted to have an airlock-like entrance for exterior-interior transitions.

Were we suppose to see something here?

14 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Not much to go off from that single shot there, but the proportions look alright.

LLD's controls were bugging me so that was all I had done before I stopped using LLD.

Also, now that I'm busy in Lego Worlds with the Garage interior design I've come with a question: are the vehicle construction rooms supposed to be in there as well?

http://prnt.sc/df4724

Edited by DarkianMaker
Wrong screenshot link

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.