LEGO Island REDUX

bphillips09

Updated to v0.9.6.1. The links (and changelog) are in the initial post. The game should notify you of an update when starting, and if you accept it will take you to the first post.

DarkianMaker

Well aside from managing to do some questionable things with the Information Center (more on that when I can record it) it is pretty good. Perhaps the next update could add a new interior or something?

2 hours ago, vitawrap said:

there are way too much post process filters, namely the sharpen and blurry one.

apart from that it's some good stuff

The only effect applied to the player's camera is depth of field. Although, the camera is set to use HDR if your hardware can support it.

I found a glitch where if you launch a plane in the observation tower, the Info Center doesn't render at all.
*Click for example*

Also if you hit escape while in the tower, this happens

If the pause menu is already opened, pressing Q causes a soft lock. (you can still use the menu, you just can't play without restarting.)

A minor complaint I have is that the elevator music still overlays what ever is currently playing. (unless you use it of course)

Also don't tell anyone, but what if you made it so that there's a 1 in 100 chance of instead of the normal elevator music playing, it plays the elevator music from System Shock.

You never saw me. *Throws smoke bomb*

Your brother did a pretty good job remixing the Hospital theme if you ask me. If he ever wants to remake anymore tracks, I'd recommend showing him this: http://le717.github.io/LEGO-Island-VGF/legoisland/music.html There's not much but Instruments and Samples is where the good stuff is*.

Edit: Also here's a Destructiod article about how the the original game is ATHEISTIC. *LINK*

That's all I got for now. 

Keep up the good work!

(Also I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT SHADOW CASTING MODE DOES [pls tell me-- er... us])

*If he's already seen it, please do me a favor, and get yourself a mind eraser frog from your local retailer.

Edited by TJ6Red
Wanted to add something. (Also changed minor things)

9 hours ago, TJ6Red said:

I found a glitch where if you launch a plane in the observation tower, the Info Center doesn't render at all.
*Click for example*

Also if you hit escape while in the tower, this happens

If the pause menu is already opened, pressing Q causes a soft lock. (you can still use the menu, you just can't play without restarting.)

A minor complaint I have is that the elevator music still overlays what ever is currently playing. (unless you use it of course)

Also don't tell anyone, but what if you made it so that there's a 1 in 100 chance of instead of the normal elevator music playing, it plays the elevator music from System Shock.

You never saw me. *Throws smoke bomb*

Your brother did a pretty good job remixing the Hospital theme if you ask me. If he ever wants to remake anymore tracks, I'd recommend showing him this: http://le717.github.io/LEGO-Island-VGF/legoisland/music.html There's not much but Instruments and Samples is where the good stuff is*.

Edit: Also here's a Destructiod article about how the the original game is ATHEISTIC. *LINK*

That's all I got for now. 

Keep up the good work!

(Also I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT SHADOW CASTING MODE DOES [pls tell me-- er... us])

*If he's already seen it, please do me a favor, and get yourself a mind eraser frog from your local retailer.

I just finished fixing all the bugs you mentioned, so those will be fixed in the next update. The elevator music though is designed to always be playing. Do you mean you can hear it when not significantly close to the elevator, though?

The dropdown for Shadow Casting Mode is something I meant to remove. I put it in initially when we transitioned from the 2D Infocenter interior to the 3D one, as it was a way to check the effects of interior shadows in-game based off one-sided planes covering the outside of the interior models. I'm going to remove it for the next update.

I'll pass on the message to my brother, he'll appreciate it! Also I think you meant 'AESTHETIC' and not 'ATHEISTIC'....

10 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

The elevator music though is designed to always be playing. Do you mean you can hear it when not significantly close to the elevator, though?

I think it'd be better if I just show  you.

The background music tends to overlay the elevator music until you decide to use the thing.

I would prefer it if the music got quieter as you got closer to the thing. (Also is it me, or do the elevator doors not close all the way.)

10 hours ago, bphillips09 said:

Also I think you meant 'AESTHETIC' and not 'ATHEISTIC'....

Oops, uh.... I think now would be a good time to get a mind eraser frog.

Good to see this project is still going!

I noticed that the player still moves for a split second even after letting go of the movement keys. Are you using Input.GetAxis or Input.GetAxisRaw for your directional input?

1 hour ago, Shifty said:

Good to see this project is still going!

I noticed that the player still moves for a split second even after letting go of the movement keys. Are you using Input.GetAxis or Input.GetAxisRaw for your directional input?

I'm using my input manager's implementation of GetAxis because I wanted input smoothing for when joysticks are being used. I suppose I could change it to the implementation of GetAxisRaw when a joystick is not being used, however.

Edit: Actually, I think using the input manager's GetAxisRaw would be a better option in the long run for when joystick calibration would be used. Currently calibration is used but not saved when the game is exited, so I'll implement that and change it to GetAxisRaw. This is the documentation of the method for the input manager if you're curious: http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/api-reference/html/M_Rewired_InputActionEventData_GetAxisRaw.htm

7 hours ago, Yutyocraft said:

It isn't working at Linux Debian 64 bit. It opens a menu which includes RUN, CONFIG and CANCEL. And they aren't working.

Hmm... just tried it in Ubuntu 64-bit and it worked just fine. I guess try re-downloading, unzipping, and running again? Have you tried using just the x86 executable and not the x86_64 file? It doesn't entirely make sense that the game would load the first scene (menu) but not be able to load the main scene (game), since clicking the "RUN" button just loads the game scene. CONFIG should close the game and open the configuration window, and CANCEL should quit the game. Do none of these buttons work? Do the icons change when you mouse-over them?

I haven't checked this project in a long time since there wasn't anything new posted, but I just downloaded and played with my new PC, and man, is it good to just wander on the island. I really like the improvements so far, and as soon as I've heard the hospital music it put a big grin on my face for quite a while.

I'm really looking forward to see the next version (and hopefully hear the Jail tune remastered) !

On 13.01.2018 at 6:13 AM, bphillips09 said:

Hmm... just tried it in Ubuntu 64-bit and it worked just fine. I guess try re-downloading, unzipping, and running again? Have you tried using just the x86 executable and not the x86_64 file? It doesn't entirely make sense that the game would load the first scene (menu) but not be able to load the main scene (game), since clicking the "RUN" button just loads the game scene. CONFIG should close the game and open the configuration window, and CANCEL should quit the game. Do none of these buttons work? Do the icons change when you mouse-over them?

Non of them are working. Icons aren't changing too. I recommend you to make this file .applimage or something different. Type of files likes .x86 and .x86,64 are not recommended and bad. 

On 1/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, Xana Lyoko said:

I haven't checked this project in a long time since there wasn't anything new posted, but I just downloaded and played with my new PC, and man, is it good to just wander on the island. I really like the improvements so far, and as soon as I've heard the hospital music it put a big grin on my face for quite a while.

I'm really looking forward to see the next version (and hopefully hear the Jail tune remastered) !

Thanks for the positive feedback!!

21 hours ago, Yutyocraft said:

Non of them are working. Icons aren't changing too. I recommend you to make this file .applimage or something different. Type of files likes .x86 and .x86,64 are not recommended and bad. 

Hmmm.. that's very strange. What version of Debian are you running? It works fine for me on Ubuntu 16.04. Unfortunately I cannot change the filetype. Unity (the game engine that this is written in) only allows me to build for linux using .x86 and .x86_64 filetypes. All I can do is try to figure out exactly what isn't working on your device, so in order to do that I need your system specs (CPU/GPU/OS) and (if it exists) the game's log file. Check here for the log file: "~/.config/unity3d/Brandon Phillips/LEGO Island Redux/". It should be titled "Player.log" or similar. If you can find that, post it or send it to me along with your system info and I'll take a look at it. 

For @Yutyocraft and anyone else having issues on Linux, I cannot do anything to debug the game without knowing at least what OS you have and what version of it you're running. However, I can tell you that the game renders on Linux using OpenGL and 3.2 or higher should work without issue. 

If you want, try running the game with the argument "-force-glcore". If that does not work, it's likely that your OpenGL implementation or drivers are lower than recommended. You can try "-force-opengl" instead, but results may not be optimal. Please let me know if this works for you. 

If you have Debian, try installing Mesa utilities (apt-get install mesa-utils) and use the glxinfo command (glxinfo | grep OpenGL). It should tell you what version of OpenGL you have/what is supported by your hardware. Do note however that if glxinfo reports that your renderer is "llvmpipe" then you are using CPU rendering and not GPU rendering, and the game will probably not run too well (unless your integrated graphics are phenomenal). 

If you've tried any of the aforementioned above and still cannot get the game to run, please let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard you can compile some Unity apps to run on WebGL. Of course that comes with a number of limitations, but I'm wondering if it would be generally poosible with this project?

13 hours ago, foxtacles said:

I've heard you can compile some Unity apps to run on WebGL. Of course that comes with a number of limitations, but I'm wondering if it would be generally poosible with this project?

It would be slightly possible. There are some things that wouldn't work, but most things should. For example, I know that native MovieTextures are not supported (the only two in the project currently are the intro movie that plays next to the "LEGO ISLAND REDUX" title when you launch the game, and the 2nd floor elevator video). Also, I don't think the input manager I am using currently supports WebGL builds. I will see if I can get something working eventually, though. 

EDIT#1: Preliminary testing shows that it runs okay in an HTML5 build, however even on Medium settings framerate jumps around from 60 to 20 to 40 to 60. Note: I have a GTX 1070 GPU and a Skylake i7 so it might run horribly on anything lower specc'd (and this is just running it locally, too)

EDIT#2: When running a WebGL build from a remote server, it seems even 1GB of memory is not enough to load the game. I will see if there is a way around this that doesn't involve increasing the memory limit (since it would probably take forever to load or just crash the browser). 

All-in-all, I doubt a WebGL build is feasible or necessary (I don't even think there is a big demand for first/third person 3D web-games anyway nowadays). The time it takes just to load the assets into memory is basically the same amount of time it takes to download a standalone version of the game anyway lol

Edited by bphillips09

Oh, awesome! Thanks for testing that out. I don't think there is a (huge) demand for a WebGL build either, especially if the resources it takes to run it are so high at this point. But I can imagine a few years down the line, when both Unity and WebGL become more refined/mainstream, it will be more feasible than it is right now.

I got the idea because I own the domain www.brickster.net and I thought it would be amazing if I could just visit that site whenever I feel like it and find myself on Lego Island, being able to roam around, haha.

• 1 month later...
bphillips09
On 3/11/2018 at 10:21 AM, bradleybrand said:

Please work on this more, including Missions maybe...

I work on this project when I can! I'm sorry that it isn't as often as I want it to be, but it isn't abandoned and progress is (slowly) being made.

• 2 weeks later...
RobberBaron

I just tried the nightmare mode with AI turned on, absolutely terrifying, I loved it haha. You could instead make nightmare mode a minigame that turns on the AIs (but only Peppers) and it's just a game of how long you can go without being touched by one of them. And the player can only go on the paths as well!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
bphillips09

Updates coming soon! Also, semi-related but the game runs pretty well on Xbox One so maybe some day in the far future..... who knows

bphillips09

Updated to v0.9.6.4. The links (and changelog) are in the initial post. The game should notify you of an update when starting, and if you accept it will take you to the first post.

• Like 1

• Cyrem changed the title to LEGO Island REDUX
  • lol username pinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.