lordtobi

LI1 Can someone identify this piece of audio?

lordtobi

This file ("LegoIslandGig.wav") was sent to me by David Barrows, composer of the Police Station and Helicopter Build themes, but I'm not sure where in the game it belongs to. Can you help?

• Like 1

mumboking

I do believe it's not in the game. Maybe it's in the files, but unused.

Terrev
2 hours ago, mumboking said:

Maybe it's in the files, but unused.

There is unused music, but not this, unless everybody's somehow collectively missed it.

lordtobi
10 minutes ago, Terrev said:

There is unused music, but not this, unless everybody's somehow collectively missed it.

The "unused" music seems to be the exact same Jail Theme, just without the final whistle in the very last two seconds.

le717
8 minutes ago, Terrev said:

unless everybody's somehow collectively missed it.

That is very well possible. Between the three different extractors we get three different sets of incomplete files, even in music/SFX/foley. It's possible this particular bit of audio has yet to be pulled out. I mean, I've think I've yet to come across that "Do you want to save your game" clip Lair (?) had playing in-game. The other possibility is it is not in the .SI archives at all.

Whatever it is, it definitely feels unused to me.

Terrev
27 minutes ago, lordtobi909 said:

The "unused" music seems to be the exact same Jail Theme, just without the final whistle in the very last two seconds.

It isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vj9kZb8MtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjHUdZARd0

https://tcrf.net/LEGO_Island#Music

lordtobi
15 hours ago, Terrev said:

TCRF says nothing else than that it is of higher quality - which it is of course. But other than that, only the last few seconds differ.

Terrev

"Aside from the major boost in quality making it sound completely different at any given point, there's no difference." ;P

lordtobi
On 10.3.2016 at 7:04 PM, THE BEST THE BEST TH said:

"Aside from the major boost in quality making it sound completely different at any given point, there's no difference." ;P

I've put both tracks, the LQ and the HQ one, side-by-side, and it seems that the LQ version is less than 1/4 of a beat faster. Why? No one knows...

mumboking
5 hours ago, lordtobi909 said:

I've put both tracks, the LQ and the HQ one, side-by-side, and it seems that the LQ version is less than 1/4 of a beat faster. Why? No one knows...

Because they are different! One isn't just a higher sample rate version.

You try resampling the 22050Hz one to 11025Hz. They'll still be different.

lordtobi
7 hours ago, mumboking said:

Because they are different! One isn't just a higher sample rate version.

You try resampling the 22050Hz one to 11025Hz. They'll still be different.

I just wonder why they are different. The last drum and two whistles at the end of the lower quality version were probably put to allow for better looping of the song. But less than 1/4 of a beat? Maybe it was an editing issue, since the track must've been converted. Or since the versions seem to have been recorded at different times (checked the unused version first, figured it needed something at the end), the reel-to-reel player/recorder might have been a different one as well, just running a minumum better and producing this difference.