Welcome Guest!

Did you know you that by registering, you can gain access to new special powers? You’ll be able to reply to Topics, create your own Topics, talk in our Chatbox, message members, manage your profile, access extra content and much more! Best of all, this message & ads will vanish!

lordtobi

Game won't start

8 posts in this topic

So I bought myself all five of the 2006 Disky releases, each composed of four games. And, apparently, Football Mania is the only one that still needs a serial number, the only one that does not have a direct shortcut to the file, and also the only one to not work at all. The newest file is ReadMe.txt, which was last modified 12 June 2002, which was before the original release, thus I believe it was never updated for a re-release. Since y'all seem to have it running, any idea what I could do?

When I try to boot my vanilla game, nothing happens. Not even a screen flicker showing it attempts to boot.

But when I use the no-cd copy from GameCopyWorld (where I usually go for my no-cds anyhow, just beware of ads if you don't have an adblocker). Although not stated on the page (I won't link, because I'm not sure if allowed), you will need to copy the Mania folder off your disc (the one containing CD and CDC) and into your installation directory. Using this no-cd is also a bonus because it allows you to play with modified files. :)

This version also so happens to not give me the "YOU MUST RUN AS ADMIN" bug.

14 hours ago, Xiron said:

When I try to boot my vanilla game, nothing happens. Not even a screen flicker showing it attempts to boot.

But when I use the no-cd copy from GameCopyWorld (where I usually go for my no-cds anyhow, just beware of ads if you don't have an adblocker). Although not stated on the page (I won't link, because I'm not sure if allowed), you will need to copy the Mania folder off your disc (the one containing CD and CDC) and into your installation directory. Using this no-cd is also a bonus because it allows you to play with modified files. :)

This version also so happens to not give me the "YOU MUST RUN AS ADMIN" bug.

Same result.

Did you run the RegSetup.exe file that came with it first?

6 minutes ago, Xiron said:

Did you run the RegSetup.exe file that came with it first?

Yes. I did everything there could be, copy Mania folder off CD, execute RegSetup.exe, replace Game.exe, run using Start.bat, etc.

O

Well aside from messing with compatibility settings I'm out of ideas.

1 minute ago, Xiron said:

O

Well aside from messing with compatibility settings I'm out of ideas.

I wonder, is the CDC folder supposed to be empty?

It is empty for me too.

I'm really tempted to get that W10 install on my other partition to see if that is the problem (and I wanted to check if other things ran too).