LEGO Space Sim  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • May...be
    • Don't ask me!
    • BACON!!!

I'm not serious about this idea since I'm a bit preocupied with other things, but what do you think about this idea:

A space combat sim with LEGO ships from 1979 to 1998. Basically, Classic Space, Space Police I & II, Blacktron I & II, Exploriens, Ice Planet, UFOs, Insectoids, M-Tron, Unitron, Spyrius and Futuron (Roboforce doesn't have proper ships of their own), all flying around and blasting the crap out of each other. It doesn't even have to be combat - the game could also have peaceful exploration, mining and trading. Of course, not to nearly the same degree as Star Citizen, but perhaps on the level of Evochron Mercenary? You could even build your own ship LDD style, using bricks and elements from all the above themes (including Roboforce this time) - but you'll have to unlock bricks by buying the ship kits in a shipyard or broken-down ships in a "brickyard" first.

As for a storyline, well, does it really need one beyond "Blacktron hates everyone, Space Police keep the peace, Ice Planet and Exploriens are rivals in exploration, M-Tron is obsessed with magnets to the point of trying to steal everyone else's, the Insectoids are just there, the UFOs are just now probing this area of space, and everyone else has no point except to give you more ship designs and more things to shoot at or trade with depending on your faction"? Of course, it obviously wouldn't take itself seriously.

Again, though, I can't stress the fact that I'm just dumping the result of 5 minutes of brainstorming while reading Legostar Galactica here and am not planning on taking this idea further (though if anyone else wants to you have my permission - it's not really that original of an idea, after all, since it's just basically throwing LEGO at the space sim genre and seeing what sticks). Also, if you have any ideas to add, go ahead.

• Like 2

Lind Whisperer

I've had elements of the same idea before, but you'd really need a full crew to make it work... :S

I could, in theory, supply the rough Blender models for such a project*, but I'd have no idea how to tie them all together in a single game-play experience.

"It doesn't even have to be combat - the game could also have peaceful exploration, mining and trading."
Unless we're making LEGO: ELITE, or LEGO: EVE ONLINE, that's getting a bit too complex. Those things are a bit too difficult to just 'add'.

*Note the "rough," and the "in theory". And since they'd be edited LDraw meshes, they likely wouldn't be optimized enough - they'd need additional re-working. I suppose I could try and learn how to do that, but we'd still be missing the majority of a team...

7 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"It doesn't even have to be combat - the game could also have peaceful exploration, mining and trading."
Unless we're making LEGO: ELITE, or LEGO: EVE ONLINE, that's getting a bit too complex. Those things are a bit too difficult to just 'add'.

Well, it would be more like LEGO: Evochron if an economy does get implemented. Both Elite and EVE Online have incredibly complex economic models even relative to the genre. And then there's Star Citizen, which will have an even more complex economy.

Lind Whisperer
12 minutes ago, Phoenyx said:

Well, it would be more like LEGO: Evochron if an economy does get implemented. Both Elite and EVE Online have incredibly complex economic models even relative to the genre. And then there's Star Citizen, which will have an even more complex economy.

Fair.

I suppose I'm just more interested in the combat aspect, than the economical. SW:tOR's Galactic Starfighter has some decent mechanics, but the landscapes are a little visually bland for my taste - and even at full upgrade, engines have barely any endurance - you spend most of the game flying painfully slowly.

Since you posted this earlier, I've been fiddling with a few ideas, but I think they may be a bit different than what you're aiming for here... 

Fluffy Cupcake

When I read the title, I missed the "a" and thought Sims like where you control people and their living environment. :P

But hey, the other space idea sounds even cooler.

Heres a goverment idea

Its devided into 3 groups political exploring and military branches and themes would fall in like this

explore:

seatron

ice planet

explorion

mining

military

space police

space marines

galaxy squad

roboforce

The futron and classic space will be used in and explore and military also the futron would serve as leaders 

Also this would be usful for planet ideas

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=62385

Also astro could serve as capital sense it would explain its high techness

Also what if we were to make the game style a space version of LEGO Islands

4 minutes ago, CreativeGamer said:

Finished

Okay, along with 1-word posts being deprecated here, what you wrote doesn't make any sense. So... what?

36 minutes ago, CreativeGamer said:

Finished

Considering how soon it was before you edited your previous post, you should have just marked it as edited. This kind of double-posting is against forum rules.

The only exception to this is if the previous post is a few days old and your new post is going to contain purposeful information and not just "Bumping....".

Lind Whisperer

"Its devided into 3 groups political exploring and military branches and themes would fall in like this"

Unless I failed basic math, you've only put down 2 groups.

"mining"

Mining isn't a theme, unless you meant the Rock Raiders.

"space marines"

They aren't a theme, unless you're referring to the canceled LEGO Cuusoo project.

"Also what if we were to make the game style a space version of LEGO Islands"

...Not everything can be made better when LEGO Island is added.

1 hour ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"Its devided into 3 groups political exploring and military branches and themes would fall in like this"

Unless I failed basic math, you've only put down 2 groups.

"mining"

Mining isn't a theme, unless you meant the Rock Raiders.

"space marines"

They aren't a theme, unless you're referring to the canceled LEGO Cuusoo project.

"Also what if we were to make the game style a space version of LEGO Islands"

...Not everything can be made better when LEGO Island is added.

Space maries and miners came from the lego minifigures line

And talking about the game play i wasn't meaning featuring it!

By the way i'd like to create a skype group to chat about this in a private area.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.