Arwings, Wolfens and more - Ships from Star Fox made in LDD

Phoenyx

EDIT: Changed the title so that the thread can be continued beyond just one ship

Just something I whipped up in LDD recently.

large.567e21b9a593f_ArwingIso.png.549fcb

I decided to build an Arwing from the Star Fox series after reading up an article on LEGO spaceship construction. I used a few advanced techniques, particularly a decent amount of sideways and even upside-down building, to try and capture the look of this classic space fighter. This specific version is a mashup of the Star Fox 64 (Lylat Wars) version and the one from Star Fox Assault.

Some more views:

Spoiler

large.567e21bd6037a_ArwingTop.png.360e0f

Spoiler

large.567e21b5d1746_ArwingFront.png.28b4

Spoiler

large.567e21bc3824d_ArwingSide.png.9d2be

Spoiler

large.567e21b2dcfa4_ArwingBottom.png.4c8

Spoiler

large.567e21c0ba0fa_ArwingBack.png.0f0ee

The Landmaster is a possibility further down the line, though when I do build it I'll probably base it mainly on the Star Fox Assault version. I'll probably end up building an Arwing Interceptor from Star Fox 2 or a Wolfen next, though.

Alright. I went ahead and built a certain infamous ship from the Star Fox series.

large.WolfenIso.png.0e5fcba31e6c303d2887

I took inspiration from multiple versions of this ship. The lower wings and G-Diffusers are inspired by the Red Fang from Star Fox Command, the main hull is based on the Assault Wolfen, and the upper wings are straight out of the unreleased Star Fox 2. I did just a bit of greebling to the nose of the craft just to give it a bit more of a rough look compared to the Arwing. Here's a picture of this hybrid Wolfen chasing an Arwing:

large.567f7462d4e95_ArwingvsWolfen.png.3

"You'll be seeing your dad soon, Fox!"

Here's some more views:

Spoiler

large.WolfenFront.png.b23a076c30da2c9dbb

Spoiler

large.WolfenSide.png.e686af2dba4099025b4

Spoiler

large.WolfenTop.png.4663765ad70b6f4a6c8c

Spoiler

large.WolfenBottom.png.1686023adb08b0bdb

Spoiler

large.WolfenRear.png.eb1474b466dd650539a

I'm thinking about what to make for my next Star Fox build. I don't want to build the Landmaster just yet, I'd like to get a few more ships out of the way first. Tell me which ships you want to see, and I'll consider building them. The ships can be from any Star Fox game, including the unreleased Star Fox 2 or the fan-made Star Fox: Event Horizon. This can include bosses and enemies that function as ships despite being something else, like flying Aparoids.

• Like 3

Probably not. Even if I posted them to LEGO Ideas and they managed to get the required amount of community support, I doubt Nintendo would allow for a license. Also, if these were to come with minifigures a very large majority would require custom molds and stamps.

Interesting models. There's always so much more freedom in LDD with spaceships, IRL you have to make sure a) they stand up and b) they don't break. l405G.jpg Those wings on the first one (the blue one l405G.jpg) look extremely nicely decorative, but I doubt they could support even half the weight of the spaceship.

Watch out it doesn't spontaneously combust and the figure fall through the floor l405G.jpg

The wings on the blue one look like they could use a bit more flashy lights on the side. Just looks a bit bland, and you know how I am with bare studs. A 2x1 grille, perhaps? (By "Wings" I mean any appendages, they all look a bit bare l405G.jpg).

The red one generally looks nice, if more unstable and prone to breaking. l405G.jpg Its front poke-y thingy also looks a tad bland on the inside. Transparent neon green studs are the spice of life, as we - well, I - say l405G.jpg

The blue wings on the Arwing are the G-Diffuser pods. In the Star Fox series these allow the ship to basically ignore gravity, though if you ask a group of people how they work or what else they do you won't ever get two matching answers. As for greebling on the G-Diffusers, the original design doesn't have anything on it that I can replicate without custom decals. In general, Star Fox ships have a lot of clean lines and flat surfaces. Apart from the Aparoids, there's not really much to use as a basis for greebling.

393236-arwing_render.jpg

As for structural integrity, I reinforced the wing mount assemblies with 2x3 plates. I haven't built the model IRL so I can't say for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hold up better than they look.

As for the Wolfen, again, Star Fox ships have a lot of flat surfaces and clean lines. The Wolfen may be a rougher ship but there's still not much greebling that can be done. As said before, the one shown is based on two different designs:

latest?cb=20071109033430

latest?cb=20100406175844

I could add some piping and stuff but that's pretty much it.

As for structural integrity on the Wolfen, most of the joints are held together by ratcheting hinges.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for not getting back to this for over four months.

large.57058b3e61db4_CornerianFighter.png

Here. Have a Cornerian Fighter. This version is yet another hybrid, this time between the "Bottlenose" fighter from Star Fox 64 and the Cornerian Heavy Fighter from Star Fox Assault.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.