SparksterX

Just signed up today because...I seriously need help.

I have tried EVERYTHING. I watched fix videos, the threads here, tried to fix it myself, and nothing. I don't know if its the disc or my windows 7 OS. I don't get a window to put it in windowed mode. All that happens is that I launch it as an admin, and it crashes a second after. Please, can anybody help me? I use Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, with a Intel i5 processor. I'll supply any other details if it means getting this game to work.

If you've been keeping up with updates, you'll find that games that use SafeDisc and SecuROM no longer work on Windows 7 and later. From now on, you will need to run the game in a virtual machine. You could also try using a program that removes SafeDisc, but you'll have to look that up yourself as providing a link could be construed as supporting software piracy.

2 minutes ago, Phoenyx said:

If you've been keeping up with updates, you'll find that games that use SafeDisc and SecuROM no longer work on Windows 7 and later. From now on, you will need to run the game in a virtual machine. You could also try using a program that removes SafeDisc, but you'll have to look that up yourself as providing a link could be construed as supporting software piracy.

What virtual machine do you recommend? The last time I tried a virtual machine, it did not allow 3D acceleration. 

Virtualbox. However, you will need to install a set of drivers into the "guest" operating system in order to use 3D acceleration. You can get around this by using software rendering mode should the drivers fail to install.

1 hour ago, Phoenyx said:

Virtualbox. However, you will need to install a set of drivers into the "guest" operating system in order to use 3D acceleration. You can get around this by using software rendering mode should the drivers fail to install.

where can I find the drivers?

1 minute ago, Phoenyx said:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#additions-windows

Again, these are to be installed within the virtual machine. You also may have to boot your virtual machine into safe mode in order to install them, and even then sometimes the installation will just fail.

never used this system before and already getting errors. any starting off insight?

48 minutes ago, SparksterX said:

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted

I'm attempting to emulate windows 98.

That means you haven't installed an OS on the virtual machine. You will need to mount a bootable Windows installation disc or disc image and reboot the virtual machine.

.... How did we suddenly leap to the conclusion that the DRM protection disk thingy l405G.jpg is playing up?

I don't suppose you have a Radeon graphics card? LRR doesn't like those l405G.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 12/28/2015 at 1:03 AM, aidenpons said:

.... How did we suddenly leap to the conclusion that the DRM protection disk thingy l405G.jpg is playing up?

I don't suppose you have a Radeon graphics card? LRR doesn't like those l405G.jpg

Actually....I do.....

Darnit.

5 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

what happened in the nine months in between

Still nothing. I attempted a no CD crack and a clean directory install from the net (As the disc I own is worn but still works, wanted to be 100% sure), thinking that it was SafeDisc or something. I was wrong. I actually did manage to get a windows 98 virtualbox working, and while it was still stable, I did manage to get NFS2 installed and working on it, although the FPS was like....half a frame per second, so that is out of the question.

BINGO!!

Finally, a step in the right direction! I followed the AMD video card compatibility fix and ran the whole thing in Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emulation and I managed to get the game started up, cinematic and all. I'm getting the textureless falling/collapsing rock bug, and the game crashes on selecting a mission, but its a big step in the right direction!

Fluffy Cupcake
5 hours ago, SparksterX said:

I'm getting the textureless falling/collapsing rock bug, and the game crashes on selecting a mission, but its a big step in the right directionF

That's a fault of RGB Emulator mode (as stated here). If you want to play the game correctly you'll need to get Direct3D HAL mode working.

15 minutes ago, Xiron said:

If you want to play the game correctly you'll need to get Direct3D HAL mode working.

the only way to do that is to get an nvidia card tho afaik

Fluffy Cupcake

Nope. I've done it on my AMD. All methods posted in there except 3 and 5 have been tested by me personally.

And #1 is the only non-Direct HAL solution.

12 hours ago, Xiron said:

Nope. I've done it on my AMD. All methods posted in there except 3 and 5 have been tested by me personally.

And #1 is the only non-Direct HAL solution.

Actually...I finally figured it out.

I have no idea why this was the big fix that finally managed to get it to work, but here it is.

1. Install the game. You can either download the game directory or directly from disc. I did both so I could utilize music and cinematics.

2. Follow the AMD video card comparability fix. For CLGen, it doesn't have to be Voodo 2, but it DOES have to be open at all times. I tested all 3 and the results are relatively the same.

3. Get d3drm.dll in the same place you installed the game.

You should have this up to this point:

Spoiler

yjzjXSo.png

4. Right click and hit properties on the shortcut. In the target area, hit space and add -ftm. For those who are wondering that that does,

• -ftm - This makes the videocard use all available texture memory. Also turns off game lighting. Lighting still affects game models.

5. Finally, run the shortcut, and when the video setup comes up, run the game in Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emulation.

The game runs flawlessly save for some slowdown when insane amounts of effects are happening at the same time. The only real thing that takes a hit is the lighting being out of whack, but the game runs, and that's what matters.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.