Favorite LEGO Space Subtheme/Faction

MaelstromIslander

Favorite LEGO Space Subtheme/Faction  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite LEGO Space subtheme/faction?

• Futuron
    • Blacktron
    • Space Police
    • M-Tron
    • Blacktron Future Generation
    • Space Police II
    • Ice Planet 2002
    • Spyrius
    • Unitron
    • Roboforce
    • Exploriens
    • UFO
    • Insectoids
    • Classic Space (Pre-1986 Space)

MaelstromIslander

This was prance and ace's idea to make a topic. Not mine.

So I was thinking about creating a project and I wanted to know: What LEGO Space factions appeal the most to RRU? As there is a vast collection of Space sub themes, I had a hard time making a decision. As I said above, ace and prance suggested I make a poll.

So, here we are. Discuss

P.S. Sorry for how small this thread is. Its quite late, and I'm on the tablet, so its not very lengthy, but there isn't really much to say.

Edited by MaelstromIslander

MaelstromIslander

Well, Rock Raiders is somewhat integral to RRU... :P

What kind of project? What media form? What endgoal?

Rock Raiders isn't exactly a LEGO Space theme, but its not really a standalone theme either. Its in a bit of a limbo.

I'm not making a game, I can gurantee you that. I've been practicing my illustration and writing skills, so it'll either be a plain fanfic or a fancomic. We'll just have to see.

It will probably be a fanfic as I lack a working scanner, but hey, maybe a miracle will occur and it'll get fixed/I get a new one. You never know.

Rock Raiders isn't exactly a LEGO Space theme, but its not really a standalone theme either. Its in a bit of a limbo.

It's definitely a standalone theme. The only thing it's part of is the Systems super-theme, which just means it was from the late 90's/early 00's and wasn't part of Technic or Duplo. Its closest relative is Power Miners, which didn't come out for ten more years. The space stuff was only in the books and video games - the sets themselves gave no indication they were on an alien planet, just that they were deep underground.

• Like 2

Quisoves Potoo

Fun fact: At one point, the Insectoids were the intended nemeses of the Rock Raiders, which does go some way towards explaining the latter's asteroid setting .

Lind Whisperer

Fun fact: At one point, the Insectoids were the intended nemeses of the Rock Raiders, which does go some way towards explaining the latter's asteroid setting .

It's definitely a standalone theme. The only thing it's part of is the Systems super-theme, which just means it was from the late 90's/early 00's and wasn't part of Technic or Duplo. Its closest relative is Power Miners, which didn't come out for ten more years. The space stuff was only in the books and video games - the sets themselves gave no indication they were on an alien planet, just that they were deep underground.

Proof, or joke?

I would vote for classic space (y'know, that theme with stuff like this and this), but for some reason there's no option for it up there. Mind adding one so I can accurately vote? Now that I think of it, an "other" option wouldn't go amiss too...

This is actually an unsubstantiated rumor. Its possible, but there's nothing to really say it's the case.

also, thank you OP for calling it Blacktron: Future Generation and not Blacktron II

• Like 1

This is actually an unsubstantiated rumor. Its possible, but there's nothing to really say it's the case.

also, thank you OP for calling it Blacktron: Future Generation and not Blacktron II

When I asked Quis about that, he said he got the fact from The Ultimate Lego Book.

71MQMJ93KVL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.gif

Does anybody have a copy they can rummage through?

Insectoids being enemies to Rock Raiders was an old rumor started by Lugnet the year after that book came out. I have it, and it says absolutely nothing about that. 

The confusion comes from some possibly alien Rock Raiders in a piece of concept art in there. They don't look like Insectoids/Zotaxians though, and they aren't antagonizing the other raiders.

• Like 3

MaelstromIslander

I swear it wasn't included when I checked

It was always included. When I made the poll I explicitly remember putting insectoids there.

I would vote for classic space (y'know, that theme with stuff like this and this), but for some reason there's no option for it up there. Mind adding one so I can accurately vote? Now that I think of it, an "other" option wouldn't go amiss too...

I didn't add it because said project is meant to be after CS. But hey, why not?

Honestly, I don't know why most call it Blacktron II, I think its merely an abbreviation of Blacktron: Future Generation but they can just call it Blacktron: FG for that matter.

• Like 1

Quisoves Potoo

Insectoids being enemies to Rock Raiders was an old rumor started by Lugnet the year after that book came out. I have it, and it says absolutely nothing about that. 

Weird. I wonder where I read that, then. Thanks for the clarification!

A quick Google search shows that it's down to this image:

ProtoRockRaiders.png

Apparently the two green things down the bottom left-ish were claimed to be Zotaxians. Considering how they aren't really Insectoids AND the image is horribly wrong in general (Trivia: spot the one thing that stayed unchanged l405G.jpg)... we have two "maybe"'s which together don't make a yes.

Quisoves Potoo

A quick Google search shows that it's down to this image:

Hidden Content

Apparently the two green things down the bottom left-ish were claimed to be Zotaxians. Considering how they aren't really Insectoids AND the image is horribly wrong in general (Trivia: spot the one thing that stayed unchanged l405G.jpg)... we have two "maybe"'s which together don't make a yes.

I've seen the image before, but I would never have thought that those were Insectoids unless I'd read it somewhere, which I know I did. A quick Google search shows that Wikipedia had the claim, sourced from the image and rumor, before Lair corrected it. That might be what I saw, though it doesn't seem right.

Considering how they aren't really Insectoids AND the image is horribly wrong in general (Trivia: spot the one thing that stayed unchanged l405G.jpg)...

It's not wrong, it's just concept art. Lots of stuff ended up changing.

MaelstromIslander

It still should be a choice!

I don't see any reason to put it in my project, but that's just a side matter, and the likelyhood of you caring for it is low anyway. What is important however, is that no one knows if the seatron sets were fun to play with, and all we have are images that might have not actually been the final product. Further more, judging a set by its cover can at times be a bad idea, because even though the set looks cool, it might not actually be as neat as the box displays. This also work vice-versa, too.

The idea of Seatron eventually became Aquazone, which was very much its own thing, separate from Space (though it was intended to be on an alien planet, that idea often wasn't presented clearly, sometimes even ignored - like, there's magazine comics with Aquazone and Town/Divers crossovers).

In the mid/late 90s LEGO started drifting away from the model of having ongoing themes with different factions anyway (with themes like Adventurers and Rock Raiders). By 2001 that model was gone entirely, and ever since then all themes have had more individual personality (Alien Conquest was just an alien invasion of a city). Power Miners was very much its own thing, but is often compared directly to Rock Raiders, which goes to show just how ultimately inconsequential it is that Rock Raiders technically takes place on another planet. Rock Raiders was just one of the first standalone themes like that, and now they're the norm.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.