Getting map to work properly

Exkajer

Its not like Ive returned or anything!
Ok, I've been really impressed by geo tool which makes what I always wanted: I see heightmap as it looks in-game and I dont need to click riddiculus amount of times to change it. It moved me to make maps more in "my way", which means I... overused this possibility. Ive made a map, and I have bugs. A lot of different issues, maybe you know how to solve some of them. And sorry for not-clear topic name, I had just decided to make one topic for all problems.
_
1. My map is huge. Its 100x100. But only about 1/4 or even 1/5 of it contains normal caverns, including starting cavern and all place which is possible to reach by regular methods. The rest of the map is the very big lava field. I tried to create impression, that this is the earth's mantle (as in name of the level "Mantle! The Cave Burner!"). Unfortunatelly, most of lava is not moving. Its possibly caused by the same thing that makes some of power paths not powered if you build too much of them.
But not moving lava texture is no big deal. It may move or not. Technically, some of tiles move as they should, but it is, like i said, the same as with powerpaths. Only a number of lava fields are moving.
The bigger problem is, that there is a part of cavern that can be easly eroded. And erosion causes weird glitches:
- Some fields dont change when eroded, like it was happening on Air Raiders in Vanilla. Im using lava biome, so I find it a little strange.
- Some fields that are eroded, after finishing erosion, return to first stage of erosion. And move through all stages again.
_
2. I wanted to create impression, that you need to dig very deeply. Playable part of the level is mostly on +55 height level, while lava field is on around +8 or even 0, I dont remember. And there is one cavern with a "lava beach", with lots of crystals and erosion mentioned before. Two tunnels are going down to this place. Cavern with "lava beach" is the cavern with lava field, also mentioned before. So, where is the problem? With generating textures. On my maps with weird heightmap I observe game tendency to not show enough tiles. I mean, I can clearly see in-game black nothingness-squares where the ground or anything else should be seen, and were seen, when I was just over it. Is there any way to increase amount of tiles being seen? Also, big heightmap slopes and sloped walls make more shadow, and cavern becomes darker, and its onerous even on max "brightness" level.
_
3. Im using memory mod, but still, game has problems with maintaining big amount of objects. I dont want to make player play riddiculously slowly in place where he shoud be in hurry. There is 500 crystals to collect on this mission and most of them are in "lava beach" cavern. Ive managed to collect them, but I was using 5 carts and waiting after drilling every wall until they collect crystals that are already enable. But when playing for the first time, I was drilling all, and after uncovering biggest source of crystals, game crashed.
_
4. There is one more problem with 500 crystals collecting. One blank in hex editor may have number up to 255. I need to use two blanks of space (grids? how should I name it?) to write the number "500". I did it, but after collecting 501 crystals in-game, level still wasn't finished. I would be happy if someone sent me simple crystal collecting npl and nrn with 500 in it.
___
___
A few things I will write, before you ask:
- Yes, Im trying to remake all missions Ive lost. From scratch.
- No, I dont have ANY backup of the missions I had lost. The only hope is, that Lair still has my old-version-of-that-old-levels wads that I sent him centuries ago.
- Yes, I have backup for missions Im doing now.
- No, Im not promising anything. Im studying, I have less time, I can quit anytime. But this time I will be publishing levels separately in packs as versions "0.X" of full level pack.
- Old topic of my "mod"-level pack can be locked or deleted. When I will want to, I will make a new one.
- Currently Im using Axels mod, Cafeteria, Map Creator, and Geo Tool. And Polish voiced rock raiders with english text due to Axels mod.
__
__
__
PS. This map is poetry. I may post screenshots, but not today.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really. Once we hit the limit of what we could change, people started to lose interest. Not to mention that as we've gotten older, we've all become a little harder on the game and've started admitting it wasn't that great. I'd say that some of the overhauls being finished might have kept things going, but ever since Windows 8 came out it's been slowly dying as far as compatibility, so even if we hadn't moved on a lot of us can't run it any more without going to a great deal of trouble with driver crap. At this point, this community is basically just a general Lego community, but simultaneously more mature than places like BZPower and more... unhinged than places like Eurobricks. Pretty much the only chance of recovery at this point is if Cirevam somehow finishes Time Raiders, but he's busy and everyone who was helping him fell off the face of the earth (including me for a long while). Axel's Mod was looking hopeful but he's disappeared too. Even then, I don't know how many people would even play it at this point, considering how cynical everyone's become about the game. Meanwhile, the wiki is drowning in spam bots and the only person who's able to do anything about it has fallen off the face of the earth. And DDI has train-wrecked completely. At this point I'm just hoping that someone in the far future will make a game with a similar concept and environment but a far superior execution that will actually hold up sixteen years later.

tldr: it's just you. five years ago I'd have never believed it either, but here we are. sorry.

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

Pretty much the only chance of recovery at this point is if Cirevam somehow finishes Time Raiders, but he's busy and everyone who was helping him fell off the face of the earth (including me for a long while). Axel's Mod was looking hopeful but he's disappeared too.

Also, don't forget the several attempted community RR overhauls which were planned but never took off, because those who were interested are busy with life matters, and those aren't just sit around and do nothing productive with their free time.

Pretty much the only chance of recovery at this point is if Cirevam somehow finishes Time Raiders, but he's busy and everyone who was helping him fell off the face of the earth (including me for a long while). Axel's Mod was looking hopeful but he's disappeared too.

Also, don't forget the several attempted community RR overhauls which were planned but never took off, because those who were interested are busy with life matters, and those aren't just sit around and do nothing productive with their free time.

*nonchalant whistle* I should probably upload mine as most of the .cfg works, it's just some of the levels don't l405G.jpg

Well thats sad to read. From the first time I went to this forum I had an impression that people here are more concerned about changing small elements and adding some new features instead of making actual levels. Anyway, here is the level I was talking about. Recommended to use lava biome.

Level22.zip

Edited by Exkajer

Not really. Once we hit the limit of what we could change, people started to lose interest. Not to mention that as we've gotten older, we've all become a little harder on the game and've started admitting it wasn't that great. I'd say that some of the overhauls being finished might have kept things going, but ever since Windows 8 came out it's been slowly dying as far as compatibility, so even if we hadn't moved on a lot of us can't run it any more without going to a great deal of trouble with driver crap. At this point, this community is basically just a general Lego community, but simultaneously more mature than places like BZPower and more... unhinged than places like Eurobricks. Pretty much the only chance of recovery at this point is if Cirevam somehow finishes Time Raiders, but he's busy and everyone who was helping him fell off the face of the earth (including me for a long while). Axel's Mod was looking hopeful but he's disappeared too. Even then, I don't know how many people would even play it at this point, considering how cynical everyone's become about the game. Meanwhile, the wiki is drowning in spam bots and the only person who's able to do anything about it has fallen off the face of the earth. And DDI has train-wrecked completely. At this point I'm just hoping that someone in the far future will make a game with a similar concept and environment but a far superior execution that will actually hold up sixteen years later.

tldr: it's just you. five years ago I'd have never believed it either, but here we are. sorry.

Actually, the main reason I don't play LRR is because it crashes and there's no save function. I still like the game, for all the bugs it has, but the crashes just throw me off. I like making long levels and having a massive mining fleet (even more satisfying when a fully upgraded Chrome Crusher costs 20 crystals and 2000 ore l405G.jpg)... but when it crashes and loses everything, it's a real pain. @Xiron, if you read this, would it be possible to create a "save file" by using Cheat Engine to save everything LRR has in memory every minute or so? Is that doable?

I still play LR1. While the AI is easy to beat, it can be fun to use the cheats to make every powerup red AND at max levcl. Its 2-player function is also fun when I can find a friend l405G.jpg. Changing the powerup tracks is also worthwhile.

I don't play LR2 because I can't get it to work. With no CD and the CD-less trick it refuses to load any map, with the CD in it lags horribly.

DR simply isn't my style of racing game.

Stunt Rally has a nice level editor, but I really dislike its lack of many routes. It's got a lot of crossroad pieces, but I can't use them without disabling the respawning, which causes bugs if you fall into a pit, as you can't get out. Ever. Also, the AI is an idiot and the multiplayer function is really, really stupid.

LI is comic relief, however my computer now refuses to get past the intro "Hola! Hello! Vel-" LEGO ISLAND HAS STOPPED WORKING.

LI2's loading times are a pain.

IXS just feels bland and too much of a "hunt down every last red brick and build-thingy," rather than doing things that aren't exploring.

Chess has spontaneous crashes, which don't distract me severely, but there are better Chess games out there l405G.jpg.

[/rant] So yeah, it's basically down to crashing. But I do play most of them sometime.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.