Minecraft: Story Mode (Telltale Game)

Fluffy Cupcake

Hm, didn't we already have a topic on this?

Anyways, this looks... okay-ish? I'm not a big minecrafter, so I can't really say much about it in terms of accuracy. I can't see myself buying it, but I may watch a let's play of it when it comes out. 

MaelstromIslander

Yeah my brother told me ALLLL about this last night. I heard about it a long time ago (2014? 2013?) on the minecraft wiki. Its crap, very crap, much crap.

Alright, imagine Minecraft, strip everything that makes minecraft minecraft, and then make it linear. Call of Blocks: Diamond Warfare.

Seriously, you can't build, you can't do anything, and worst of all: STEVE AND THE ENDER DRAGON ARE COMPLETELY ABSENT. What happened to our famous Indigo-Panted Blue-Shirted Brown-Haired adventurer? Did he just magically explode for no reason? And what makes this more stupid is that the Enderdragon, the guy you HAVE TO DEFEAT IN ORDER TO BEAT THE GAME, doesn't even exist. Wow, ggnore Tell Tale.

Also, the animated faces they stole from fans. Fanimations first did that. Is there no effort into this at all? Not only that, the main characters look like crap. Everything about this is crap. I hate everything about this.

Although i doubt this is real, my brother said that they go to the aether; If this is true, then WHY OF ALL THINGS, WOULD YOU RELY ON A MOD? That is the WORST idea i've ever seen any game pull. The Aether, while it changed minecraft modding forever, its still just a mod and is not a part of the game.

(Its 8:44 and I just woke up so if I got anything wrong tell me and i'll edit the post.)

Okay, let's get this one thing straight: This A minecraft story not THE minecraft story. Anyone who has ever played or seen a Telltale games game know that they only write spin-offs. Let's start off simple here.

Why is there no "Steve"? Simple. How many people do you know that do not have a skin? Not many, right? Steve (and the lesser known Alex) Do not exist. They are templates for you to craft your own character around.

Why is there no Enderdragon? Again, pretty simple. The dragon isn't even the "final boss" of Minecraft, so using it as a point of argument is useless. The next problem with your statement about the dragon is that you say that it needs to be defeated to "beat the game". I don't know for how long you've played Minecraft for, but anyone that was around since before 1.0 knows that you can't "beat" the game. Minecraft has no endgame, since it's a game about your actions and creations. A game like that cannot be beat. You could argue that getting all achievements could be considered as beating the game, but that's a different story.

Next up, the animation style. Yes it's true, the fans did that first. However, no matter what you may think, Telltale did not "steal" anything. They probably saw the animations and though "That looks pretty good, we should do it like that." This is perfectly legal and acceptable, even without attributing the original creator, due to it being an idea. The only way that it could possibly be illegal is if they had patented the animation style, which they quiet obviously did not.

The same as before goes for the whole Aether thing. It's simply an idea that they liked and wanted to use. Simple as that.

Now, gameplay. This is a telltale game. Telltale only makes adventure games, therefore it is reasonable to expect the game to be a adventure game. This game in particular is a much better fit then Tales form the Borderlands, which is based on the Borderlands series and anyone who has played those games know how very shallow it's story is. With Minecraft, however you have the advantage of a mostly blank slate. Minecraft has no story, so therefore they are not bound to much.

Anyway, enough of me being a keyboard warrior. Personally I'm not going to buy this game, at least not until the first episode comes out and it's solid adventure gold.

The only problem that I have with this game is that it's stops the studio from working on The Walking Dead Season 3 :P

Edited by RR Rocks
  • Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

What happened to our famous Indigo-Panted Blue-Shirted Brown-Haired adventurer?

The Info Quest II on the page has a mentioning about Steve's absence. It also has a bunch of other information you might want to read.

Not only that, the main characters look like crap.

They don't really appeal my design tastes either.

Drill Master

Episode 1 trailer is out, and it talks about the Ender Dragon (@MaelstromIslander), apparently the game talks place after the events of the defeat of the Ender Dragon.

Ok so you got The Green Lanturn, Amelia Earhart, Mr. T(ron), and Rick Grimes. Sounds like a party. :P

On a more note, I may check out this game sometime when it becomes available to me and see what Telltale has to offer.

Dazzgracefulmoon

I don't know, I had the initial thought of making a linear, narrative game based off of a game that's based off of imagination and the sole idea of having your own world and own goals to accomplish, but I started to come to the idea that this isn't new to the Mine-craft community at all, I mean they have ALOT of animated series out there in the interwebs and youtubes. It's not new, and while I'm probably not going to buy it... I'm definitely intrested in how they use the already existing game and make a cool narrative based off of it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.