SKYRING.GDB

Noob Slayer

Okay, so I've been wondering how to deal with this for FOREVER...

The skyring.

I've uploaded an image to this post for those who elicit confusion to see what I mean. This particular issue defaces only Imperial Grand Prix, Tribal Island Trail and Pirate Skull Pass. This image is of Imperial Grand Prix.

This hinders from the ability to create new skyboxes for these tracks, and Imperial Grand Prix desperately needs an update. Is anyone willing to help me figure this out? I have no clue how to attack this.

(Credits to grappigegovert for the amazing Track Editor tool! It's super useful!)

Skyring.JPG

Edited by musiclover350

I don't understand what you're asking. Even with the image...

Same... Are you saying that this "skyring" is a GDB model that is placed in front of the skybox, hence obscuring it from view? If so, surely you can just set its contents to null so that it has no appearance (but the file still exists and can be loaded, so as not to crash the track)?

Are you saying that this "skyring" is a GDB model that is placed in front of the skybox, hence obscuring it from view?

Looking at a video of IGP, it seems that skyring might be the water? (Nope)

I apologize for the obscurity of my inquiry. I was asking more along the lines of, is there any way to alter this texture so that it has no effect on the color of the skybox gradients? I don't know if anyone's noticed, but when Creator made his updated SKB textures, the behavior of Pirate Skull Pass is really trippy.

grappigegovert

I did some testing with the skyrings earlier, and it looks like they do absolutely nothing.
I tried moving them around with GDBump, which did nothing, and even removing them didn't seem to have any effect.

If you'll notice in the image below, watmat is listed as a material for the skyring, and titwat2 is listed as the texture for that material. I think it has something to do with this, but that's all I've found so far.

WHYYY.JPG

Fluffy Cupcake

The only thing that tells me is that the skyring is somehow connected to the water texture. Perhaps some blending effect is going on? Since all tracks the skyring appears in has water going out into the distance.

What really shivers my timbers is how the Pirate Skull Pass SKB can be used on Tribal Island Trail with NO EFFECT on the skyring.

If Xiron is correct, how would we remove said connection/correlation? This is infinitely baffling.

Fluffy Cupcake

I thought that maybe the model may have been at the bottom of the skybox model like an attachment and it was below the waterline making it hard to see. Nope, I made the water transparent and it says otherwise.

So perhaps the model is behind the skybubble that follows you, and you can never get close enough that you can see it due to the skybubble being to small.

So I decided to take SKYRING.GDB and BACKGRD.SKB from my vanilla extracted JAM archive (I have a vanilla and a dirty extract; dirty is the modded one) and put it in RACEC0R1 (Imperial Grand Prix).

It appears even the SKB gradients of the tracks with a skyring entry aren't even interchangeable. I really hope we can crack this soon enough...

(Image below for reference)

This sucks.JPG

• 2 years later...
Noob Slayer

Attention everyone:

It is possible to change the backgrounds for Pirate Skull Pass and Tribal Island Trail to whatever you want. In the Track Editor/Viewer application (you can download this from the Modding Tools forum - credits due to its creator, well done on the app!) when you want to edit an SKB gradient, simply uncheck the Unknown float and Unknown variable boxes, change the colors, hit apply, recheck the boxes, and then hit apply again. The skyring doesn't affect the gradients at all like I previously thought.

However, for Imperial Grand Prix, the gradient CAN be changed, but you'll see that annoying white box, as depicted in the screenshot above.

grappigegovert

Hmm... Your method sounds suspiciously like a workaround for a bug in my editor. :whistle:
I'll take a look at it.

Noob Slayer

I found this out by total accident. I was messing around with different ways to change the SKB of Pirate Skull Pass and Tribal Island Trail and this was the only way that I could successfully do it with no aesthetic problems - the game still ran fine, but I just had some texture glitches with the horizon in these tracks

I haven't even bothered with Imperial Grand Prix because that white box is a hard-coded part of the GDB model of the track.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.