Running Rock Raiders on Windows 10

Jabrontelle

I have just recently found an old Rock Raiders disk in my house and I have been trying to run it on my PC (Windows 10) but to no avail. I tried getting an online version but when I booted it the graphics were completely glitched. When I try to boot from the disk I can get to the mode selection window using compatibility mode set to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or 3, however when I click any selection to continue the screen goes black then the game crashes. Above that the launcher for the disk will boot but as soon as run is clicked the setup runs in the background but doesn't do anything from there. I have already tried adding d3drm.dll to my system and that allowed me to get to the mode selection window, however no matter what I do the game won't boot from there. Please help!

Have you tried running with VirtualBox? I know the solution isn't smooth but if it works it's at least a start.

Will that work with Disks? Or do I need the files separately?

I just completed the tutorial however when I insert the disk to the drive it doesn't register that it's actually in... any way that you know of to make that work?

It will do, if you follow the tutorial I linked it'll explain how. :)

I know for sure that the disk is in and the windows 10 sees the disk however the Windows XP does not and says that the disk drive is empty, ever seen this problem?

Capture.PNG

Did you follow the "Link your disk drive" part in step 3?

large.Step_3_Figure_10.png.1e4ffa6831cae

I clicked on it however nothing happened so I moved on... was there a step that I didn't notice?

I also noticed that the letters between the Machines are not the same... is that a problem or is that normal?

Whenever I insert the disk now I get this error on WIndows 10 and the caddy doesn't stay closed for more than a few seconds... However when I turn off Drive hosting or shut off the virtual desktop it closes and reads the disk fine

Capture2.PNG

Hmmm, I'm not sure why that's happening as I'm pretty new to VirtualBox myself. My disc drive uses the letter F on Windows 10, but I host the same drive in Windows XP using the letter D, so I doubt that's the issue.

Which version of VirtualBox do you have? I'm running 5.0.3 r102224.

Hmmm, I'm not sure why that's happening as I'm pretty new to VirtualBox myself. My disc drive uses the letter F on Windows 10, but I host the same drive in Windows XP using the letter D, so I doubt that's the issue.

I'm also running 5.0.3 however I don't know what build to be specific. After a while I just copied over the data which seems to be working except for when I boot the game it comes up with the error "No Direct3D Accelerator Found" and won't go any further than that. Did you have to solve that problem or was Direct3D installed already?

I'm also running 5.0.3 however I don't know what build to be specific. After a while I just copied over the data which seems to be working except for when I boot the game it comes up with the error "No Direct3D Accelerator Found" and won't go any further than that. Did you have to solve that problem or was Direct3D installed already?

Did you install the Guest Additions drivers into Windows XP?

Did you install the Guest Additions drivers into Windows XP?

I haven't no... How would I go about that?

It's pretty simple. Boot your Windows XP virtual machine into safe mode. Once it starts up, click on Devices in the VM window, highlight optical devices, and click "Choose Disc Image...". When the file browser opens, select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. This file is an optical disc image which contains the Guest Additions installer. It should autorun. If it doesn't, in your Windows XP virtual machine, open drive D:\ and run VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe. In the installer, tell it to install both the Guest Additions and Direct3D.

Let us know if it still keeps giving you that error message.

Edited by Phoenyx

You don't need to go through all this trouble.  After installation using one of the alt installers, right click, hit properties, go to compatability, set to Reduced Color Mode: 16 Bit Color, and tell it to run as administrator.  In the config screen, set to D3D and windowed mode.

Bam, native running on Win10.

Edited by noghiri

You don't need to go through all this trouble.  After installation using one of the alt installers, right click, hit properties, go to compatability, set to Reduced Color Mode: 16 Bit Color, and tell it to run as administrator.  In the config screen, set to D3D and windowed mode.

This doesn't work with the 1999 SafeDisc version, as Windows 10 no longer supports SafeDisc.

Edited by Phoenyx

click on Devices in the VM window, highlight optical devices, and click "Choose Disc Image...". When the file browser opens, select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.

Or... Click on Devices > Install Guest Additions...

It's pretty simple. Boot your Windows XP virtual machine into safe mode. Once it starts up, click on Devices in the VM window, highlight optical devices, and click "Choose Disc Image...". When the file browser opens, select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. This file is an optical disc image which contains the Guest Additions installer. It should autorun. If it doesn't, in your Windows XP virtual machine, open drive D:\ and run VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe. In the installer, tell it to install both the Guest Additions and Direct3D.

Where can I get the Guest Additions installer? I've searched and I don't see it in the browser

The Error continues even after following these steps.

click on Devices in the VM window, highlight optical devices, and click "Choose Disc Image...". When the file browser opens, select VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.

I'm not sure about the earlier instructions because I can't find the file described.

Where can I get the Guest Additions installer? I've searched and I don't see it in the browser

I'm not sure about the earlier instructions because I can't find the file described.

Please read. 

EDIT: Furthermore, you likely need to install the Direct3D support from Safe Mode in Windows XP. (Unless Oracle fixed that issue)

Edited by dsdude123
Added more information

This doesn't work with the 1999 SafeDisc version, as Windows 10 no longer supports SafeDisc.

I thought it was SecuROM that was at issue, not SafeDisk.  My copy is a backup of a backup of a backup, so I can't exactly test.

I thought it was SecuROM that was at issue, not SafeDisk.  My copy is a backup of a backup of a backup, so I can't exactly test.

Both SecuROM and SafeDisc are blocked in Windows 10 for security reasons.

It's included with Virtualbox. It should be in the same folder as the program itself. That would be:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\

for the 64-bit version of VirtualBox or:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Oracle\VirtualBox\

for the 32-bit version. Replace C:\ with whatever drive you installed VirtualBox on, if you have multiple hard drives.

Edited by Phoenyx

It's included with Virtualbox. It should be in the same folder as the program itself. That would be:

for the 32-bit version. Replace C:\ with whatever drive you installed VirtualBox on, if you have multiple hard drives.

No matter how hard I try the file simply doesn't exist... Is there anyone who can attach it to their next post and help me out? I run 64-bit

No matter how hard I try the file simply doesn't exist... Is there anyone who can attach it to their next post and help me out? I run 64-bit

Download it from here, then: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.