Track viewer/editor (skb/pwb)

grappigegovert

Fluffy Cupcake

Of course. As long as the customs are of the same file format as the original tracks.

Feedback & Suggestions:

First: On camera movement. When mouse lock is on, can you make it so only the four WASD keys are needed? Basically, move where you look.

Secondly: When selecting an item, can you make a 'go to' button that jumps the camera to selected item? It would make getting around the map to specific points easier.

Thirdly: Is it possible to make the program see indexed colors in the .bmp? So that you can see transparent backgrounds as you would in the game. This isn't a major thing.

Fourthly: Can you add two keys that when held down change the speed variable of the camera movement, one to slow down and one to speed up? Perhaps use Q&E for a suggestion.

Lastly (for now), can you add in a refresh button? This program will be mighty useful for track retextures, though it would be a tiny bother to have to load a different track and reload the one just to see the changes.

I really can't wait for the planned features!

Just from the screenshot, this actually reminds me of Toad's Tool 64 when it was first released. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Phoenyx

grappigegovert

First: On camera movement. When mouse lock is on, can you make it so only the four WASD keys are needed? Basically, move where you look.

So W and S remain the same, but S and D turn the camera instead of moving it? Will shift/space also turn the camera instead of moving it?
If I add this there will also definitely be an option to switch between these new controls and the old ones.

Secondly: When selecting an item, can you make a 'go to' button that jumps the camera to selected item? It would make getting around the map to specific points easier.

This sounds like a neat feature, I will try to add something like this.

Thirdly: Is it possible to make the program see indexed colors in the .bmp? So that you can see transparent backgrounds as you would in the game. This isn't a major thing.

This is already partially in the code but I disabled it because I still need to figure out how to draw the transparent object's parts in order otherwise it ends up looking all funky when transparent objects overlap.

Fourthly: Can you add two keys that when held down change the speed variable of the camera movement, one to slow down and one to speed up? Perhaps use Q&E for a suggestion.

You can already scroll the mouse wheel up and down to speed up and slow down the camera. :) (or do you want a set of buttons to do the same?)

Lastly (for now), can you add in a refresh button? This program will be mighty useful for track retextures, though it would be a tiny bother to have to load a different track and reload the one just to see the changes.

I will add this in.

Thanks for the feedback Xiron.
I don't know when I will update the program again, because I start my new study next week, so I'll probably not work a lot on this program for a while after this week.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Holy cow car, for this post, I do profess my love.

Now, somebody just has to figure out a way to import new objects, and add that function to your editor.

Edited by ProfessorBrickkeeper

Fluffy Cupcake

So W and S remain the same, but S and D turn the camera instead of moving it? Will shift/space also turn the camera instead of moving it?
If I add this there will also definitely be an option to switch between these new controls and the old ones.

You can already scroll the mouse wheel up and down to speed up and slow down the camera. :) (or do you want a set of buttons to do the same?)

I will add this in.

Thanks for the feedback Xiron.
I don't know when I will update the program again, because I start my new study next week, so I'll probably not work a lot on this program for a while after this week.

Just make it so the controls are relative to the camera instead of the world when mouse lock is on.

OH. Didn't notice that. I guess that's what I get for not fully reading the controls area. To be fair it isn't really pleasant to read when it's a jumbled all together. I guess the keys aren't really needed (unless you are using a scrollless mouse). By the way, the increase speed only works if mouse lock mode is on, otherwise it doesn't.

Awesome, thanks! :D

Aw, darn them studies making everyone busy.

Hey by the way, the click and drag feature breaks if the maximize window button is pressed. The collisions get off.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Care to offer some tech support? I installed the program but get the following error whenever I try to open it. If it helps to solve the issue, I'm running the Track Editor on Windows 7, have Visual Studio 2013 and its libraries installed, and also tried launching the program and LibLR1.dll from wi thin the root LEGO Racers folder.

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=842cf8be1de50553' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

at WindowsGame2.Program.Main<String[] args>

Loving it :)

Feature Requests:
> Could you add Q/E as keybinds for camera down/up? I say add rather than replace as obviously others may prefer the existing setup.
Make the camera's aspect ratio update when you resize the window. The rendertarget changes resolution but the camera doesn't match.

Bug Report:
> The resolution does not update when you maximize the window.
> If you maximize the window, the mouse input only works in the top-left area of the rendertarget, specifically in the area of the rendertarget's base resolution.

Technical Thoughts:
Textures with chromakeyed alpha - the "2C" field in the TDB denotes the color to use as a chromakey. You could check against this when loading the bitmaps and set matching pixels to be transparent, then use alpha clipping to skip rendering of those pixels while simultaneously not writing to the depth buffer, solving any ordering issues. You'd still need to do some ordering magic for the alpha blended materials.

Edited by WillKirkby

Fluffy Cupcake

Although worded more simply, I already reported that bug Will. Also, I was so close to requesting the QE thing as well. :P

grappigegovert

Updated to v1.1!
-fixes the two resizing bugs found by Xiron and WillKirkby
-adds Q/E buttons for camera Up/Down
-adds reload button/hotkey
-adds partial support for transparent textures

Would it eventually be possible to render custom tracks?

Of course. As long as the customs are of the same file format as the original tracks.

I can confirm that. Really promising tool! Thanks for sharing.

0ShJD13.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi. I was trying to use this utility to view tracks, but everytime I try to open a model, I get an error for an "unhandled exception" containing 

"System.Exception: Invalid data. Expected Float, got 16. at LibLR1.IO.LRBinaryReader.Expect(Token p_expected)" If there is anyone who can try and help me with this (and not yell at me for necroposting), I'd appreciate it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.