Where in the world is LEGO Island?

le717

For years, one question has lingered in the minds of many LEGO fans, a seemingly simple question with an unresolved solution: "Where in the world is LEGO Island?"

For those who are not aware, LEGO Island is the very first computer game published by The LEGO Group, predating LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game by 8 years. For many older LEGO fans, LEGO Island is considered the LEGO video game, surpassing even TT Game's latest offerings.

Just as we know where we individually live on the earth, kids, TFOLs, and AFOLs have wanted to know where LEGO Island is located in the vast universe we call space. Although this is a simple question, it has no definitive answer.

There are a few theories as to the whereabouts of our friends Nick and Laura Brick, Pepper Roni, The Infomaniac, and The Brickster. Some say it has no physical latitude and longitude coordinates, but instead represents a timeless location with a near-Utopian society. Unfortunately, philosophical answers portraying imaginary locations do not satisfy the inquiries for a physical location. One popular idea illustrates LEGO Island as a planet, while another says it is America.

The only substantial evidence available regarding the official position of the Island is this one image displayed during the game's credits for a short time. Time and time again has this picture been subjected to strong scrutiny, and the conclusions drawn identify the geographical location of LEGO Island to the south of the Bering Strait or even Florida, the latter of which is suggested by internal Island Xtreme Stunts references. However, neither of these findings completely satisfy everybody.

large.lego-island-credits-location.png.573c51723417bb9bd70c9f44b07d173a.png

In June 2014, some really smart people from the Netherlands created a tool that allows limited (though more than previous tools) access to the game’s assets. Using this, access was gained to that very same image displayed in the credits. Upon close examination with assistance from rioforce, it was discovered that rotating the image 180 degrees clockwise/counterclockwise revealed the true location of LEGO Island: off the coast of India.

Spoiler

large.lego-island-rotated-location.png.23dd0a1b2207d32f411710f8d5e048f6.png

Kinda spooky, huh?

Well, that makes sense, as there's always perfect weather on LEGO Island, you'd expect it to be in a place that doesn't experience Winter.

However, with that location, I'd assume they'd have to deal with typhoons and the monsoon season.

Maybe when we get on LEGO Island we somehow always manage to arrive when there are no storms, and this whole "always perfect weather" thing is really just their propaganda to attract visitors.

• Like 2

Why are we not talking about the fact that the island is INSANELY MASSIVE in that picture? The jetskis alone would create massive tsunamis for any neighboring countries. Earth is doomed, and its because lego men need to go fast, definitely fast

e: also what the heck happened to africa

Edited by Pereki

Looks like it belongs in an alternate timeline where the eastern and southern portions of Africa came free to form Lego Island.

• Like 2

lol username

Remember that bit in LEGO Island 2 where you parachute down to Ogel Island from space? The model of the planet is "legoworld_lod1.msh" (and lod2 and lod3 of course), and here's the texture:

Ie8bEx7.png

Meanwhile in the intro... (0:14)

• Like 4

I like to imagine it's on the same planet as Lego City from LCU (which was also seen from orbit surrounded by some ambiguous looking map).

And that's a damn tiny planet. It must be incredibly dense to have gravity like it does in the games.

I like to imagine it's on the same planet as Lego City from LCU (which was also seen from orbit surrounded by some ambiguous looking map).

The the continent seen from space in LCU actually isn't ambiguous at all. It's very obviously North America, with legocity replacing New York

• Like 2

The the continent seen from space in LCU actually isn't ambiguous at all. It's very obviously North America, with legocity replacing New York

And this is why I wouldn't have passed American Geography without cheating. Guess things were moving too fast for me to pay attention.

Interesting. I thought they'd be using something made up, considering that Lego City there is based on multiple other places than NYC (San Francisco, Miami, a few European influences and so on).

now you've got me doubting myself. I need to check again but I seem to remember the last time I thought about this I compared the coastline and it matched up to the US pretty closely. but now I'm not so sure...

Edit: I took a couple pictures

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqb2fhkwb5kekkw/IMG_20150810_185908263_HDR.jpg?dl=0

here is the continent as first seen all the way from space. If you look closely you can see a couple spots that match the coastline of Canada.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztxhpdc67extt9a/IMG_20150810_190221028.jpg?dl=0

and here is the immediate coastline surrounding the city itself. I don't think I've quite match today exactly to a single spot on earth but it probably could be.

and that's the info I have on lego city. don't mean to derail this topic further

Edited by Fushigisaur
  • Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake

And that's a damn tiny planet. It must be incredibly dense to have gravity like it does in the games.

That probably explains why when you travel out to sea you can go from coast to coast so quickly without the coastline. As for the lack of islands you run into, they probably move a lot.

Why are we not talking about the fact that the island is INSANELY MASSIVE in that picture? The jetskis alone would create massive tsunamis for any neighboring countries. Earth is doomed, and its because lego men need to go fast, definitely fast

Remember how those huge LEGO people occasionally wash up on the beaches? They must be from LEGO Island!

• 6 months later...

actually i found myself comparing lego island to iceland and it comes to being pretty similar, you find the same spots the police station and jail would be on

• 2 months later...

On 2016-02-20 at 1:37 AM, vitawrap said:

actually i found myself comparing lego island to iceland and it comes to being pretty similar, you find the same spots the police station and jail would be on

You're right. If you'd flip LEGO Island vertically and then horizontally, it would look a lot like Iceland. Hmm. LEGO Iceland.

Legoislandmap.png

Iceland_relief_map.jpg

This might explain why Iceland is one of my favorite countries. I think the game was a product for propaganda created by the lonely Icelanders in order to bring more people to the island, adding to their limited population of 271 000 in 1997. The purpose of the game was to insert the LEGO Island into our brains at young age, implanting the nostalgia and making us love the game when we're older, ready to explore the real world. Subconsciously, we would also love Iceland, since our weak brains never understood that it's the same island but upside down. 

The Iceland is smart. And their plan definitely worked; today there are 323 000 people living on Iceland, a 19 % increase in their population since 1997.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.