Unitron Deep Space Defender (remix of set 6973)

IncogM

I'm a pretty big fan of the extremely short lived Lego space theme Unitron.  The theme only got 4 sets total and 3 of them were only released in the States.  They were the original counter-parts to Spyrius, but for whatever reason they didn't stay around anywhere near as long.

DSD_0.thumb.gif.23757480e1621e3e0b1481ed

Since the theme only got 4 sets, it ended up lacking a really big spaceship.  Since I'm not really a fan of the Ice Planet theme, I decided to take the awesome big ship, the Deep Freeze Defender, and build it in Unitron colors.

latest?cb=20090515202847

I also modified it to better fit in with Unitron's other sets. I've dubbed it the Deep Space Defender.

I built most of it in LDD first so I would have an easier time ordering the bricks.  I couldn't just swap colors because Ice Planet uses a different balance of white/blue/trans than Unitron uses blue/gray/trans.

DSD_02.thumb.png.c0d1fe163bc0c3e528ec00d

Heres the actual test build I did to finalize the design.  The middle received the most change here.DSD_04.thumb.jpg.6000d09a86b5719babef88c

Finished product:

DSD_07.thumb.jpg.54f3461467d5054ab851e11

DSD_08.thumb.jpg.de5f3435e4935d146f3a868

I managed to not take a good picture of the middle section. So heres the LDD.  Its got a maneuverable star-fighter vibe to it in person.

DSD_01.thumb.png.6b20962d6632bbc925d5ef8

Satellite dish in the middle section

DSD_10.thumb.jpg.63ba0ed1107c445382b7190

All three segments

DSD_11.thumb.jpg.7796de249d793415e1df7af

Rear engine compartment houses the same spiffy auto-launching little scout vehicle that the original set had

DSD_14.thumb.jpg.1e4685555046e10873eb917

Front pod attached to rear engine, kind of a gunboat feel to it

DSD_12.thumb.jpg.71ddec24d522c61a2c88d8c

Next to prototype

DSD_16.thumb.jpg.968b3c24e4f1c5933a73042

Edited by IncogM
extra pictures

I skimmed the intro and saw the LDD model, at which point I thought "Ah it's just another LDD build". Then... KABLAMMO this-is-incredible-I-have-to-read-and-study-the-whole-thing-in-proper-detail.

Awesome model you've built there, IncogM!

• Like 2

I skimmed the intro and saw the LDD model, at which point I thought "Ah it's just another LDD build". Then... KABLAMMO this-is-incredible-I-have-to-read-and-study-the-whole-thing-in-proper-detail.

Awesome model you've built there, IncogM!

I'm glad to have made the read worthwhile for you.  One of these days I'll take better pictures.  These are actually from a few months ago and the ship probably needs dusting now.

Really sweet stuff. Deep Freeze Defender is one of my all time space favorites. And it's not a lazy recolor like something I'd make.

Hmm.  I should make a single thread for my lazy recolors. 

Gotta say, I actually like this a little more than the original! Nice work.

Sweet, I appreciate it.  The Deep Freeze is a really popular set, but in my opinion it has a big flaw:  no real space engines.  I want big engines on my big ships!

I'm a pretty big fan of the extremely short lived Lego space theme Unitron.  The theme only got 4 sets total and 3 of them were only released in the States.  They were the original counter-parts to Spyrius, but for whatever reason they didn't stay around anywhere near as long.

Thank you for sharing. I really like your model. And I was also a really big fan of the theme. And I hated that I could not buy them all because of the US thing :rf:.

Your model reminded me on one of my very, very, very old projects. I wanted to create a short animation movie with unitron. I build a hangar

medium.hangar.jpg.59f3b698aae6e0245ab77a

and a computer terminal.

medium.compcen.jpg.d286f5eb80ed2414e2e15

In the first scene the monorail train should pass the bigger monorail station (I did not found an image) and drive into a mountain. In the next sceen the cockpit should be raised into the hangar and a minifig should get of. In the third scene the minifig enters a computer room where a few guys are waiting for him to show him what they found on the hologram. Here are two test renders:

medium.Frame1.png.8f0ee18c8bfa81c661ba7d

medium.Frame2.png.12c8d4aad04d263417cab3

If the project would not be dead your Deep Space Defender would have been a really good addition :thumbsup:.

Thanks for sharing, not a lot of Unitron fans out there!  Your movie would have been one of my favorite lego vids, for sure.

I grew up here in the states, but I never once saw Unitron sets in a store.  It was a very exciting moment as an adult to build my first one.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.