Windows 10 issues galore

ch4rl1e97

Hi, first post after a long time occasional lurking, first found this site from the 2009 Neoseeker thread from the site founder, sorry it has to be a 'I need help' thread but hello!

Played this game for years once upon a time, back on Windows XP it was fine, when I got my Win7 laptop it worked beautifully on that, too, I then got a new laptop as the old one started to die with Windows 8.1, at this point, I had forgotten the game (shocking, I know), next I install the Windows 10 update and remember about the game, so;

I grab my CD and install, the installation works absolutely fine, amazingly.

Next, I try to run the game from the "Enhanced" shortcut on my desktop. 

"d3drm,dll is missing" type error, I go and download the .dll, most of you have probably done this. Dropped in both System32 and in the game's root.

So next I get another issue "no directx 3d accelerator could be found", then I did some other stuff and forgot what I did.

Now I have the "Enhanced" shortcut set with 16bit colour mode (on win 10 system-wide 16 bit colour isn't a thing.) When I run it, I get a flash of the screen going into 16bit colour and the resolution changes for a moment, only to go back to the desktop, the .exe is not in Task manager. That's not working

I try running the .exe directly, this brings up the menu to select the windowed/fullscreen and driver option or whatever it is, none of the options seem actually relevant to my computer and there are very few avalible, The available Screen Modes seems to be identical regardless of the 'Device' choice not sure why there are multiple here anyway, 

screenshots of various settings because typing is hard:

WITHOUT REDUCED COLOUR MODE ACTIVE: 

MCTbY9a.png

9I9XBIa.png

WITH 16-BIT COLOUR MODE ACTIVE:

4DLaKJB.png

Zx0hQ2f.png

To note, in none of these modes does fullscreen mode work, I get a flicker of resolution changes, just to be dropped back to the desktop with nothing running in task manager. 

Without 16-bit colour again nothing happens with windowed mode.

...but WITH 16-bit/reduced colour mode, (ONLY WHILE USING THE RGB EMULATION DEVICE OPTION, THE HAL OPTION DOES NOT DO ANYTHING LIKE ALL OTHER OPTIONS.)  IT LOADS! HALLELUJAH!

BUT WAIT.

The game loads in a low resolution window the main menu, I can then click "Start game", the effect of the boulders falling down the screen as I transition to the next menu is broken, the boulders are untextured and the particle effects/bitmaps glued to a plane at funny angles are also just grey. (Interesting to note then that this is rendered in-game and isn't just a pre-made animation.)  I can click to load a level and it brigns me to the loading screen, it then loads, filling the bar, gets to completion annd...CTD, no errors. 

I was so close, too :(

So..., what is an old raider to do with this new fangled technology? 

Specs:

Windows 10 Home, 

TOSHIBA 

AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD GRaphics 2.00 GHz (It's a quad-core, guessing 3 of these will get totally ignored by Rock Raiders)

8.00 GB (7.44 usable) RAM

64-bit OS

Ask if there's anything else I can provide

So to conclude:

May I request some assistance? 

Fluffy Cupcake

(ONLY WHILE USING THE RGB EMULATION DEVICE OPTION, THE HAL OPTION DOES NOT DO ANYTHING LIKE ALL OTHER OPTIONS.)

AMD

Confirmed for not being a W10 problem, rather, an AMD one. If you can, try uninstalling your current AMD drivers and downloading and installing the older version 13.1, that is the last one to be reported compatible with Rock Raiders.

(ONLY WHILE USING THE RGB EMULATION DEVICE OPTION, THE HAL OPTION DOES NOT DO ANYTHING LIKE ALL OTHER OPTIONS.)

AMD

Confirmed for not being a W10 problem, rather, an AMD one. If you can, try uninstalling your current AMD drivers and downloading and installing the older version 13.1, that is the last one to be reported compatible with Rock Raiders.

OOOOH thank you for this insight and quick reply! I'll take a look at doing that now, I'll report back what happens. First time I've been told to de-update my drivers to fix an issue haha. Apparently I have "15.20.1055-150706a-186534C-Toshiba" Which seems excessive for a version number but I pulled it from AMD CCC. Any idea why the new driver doesn't support the game?

Is the older driver going to have an issue with windows 10? Well I guess not if other people have done it. I will return

EDIT: Bah, struggling to acquire the old driver, Can't find either the CPU's name or the integrated graphics driver's name on the AMD website and even then it seems they only offer the newest versions, and I'm not sure which I'm meant to be finding. Got a reliable source for it? Much appreciated! :) 

EDIT2: Okay so the Graphics and CPU definitely have separated drivers so I want to AMD Radeon HD 8400 13.1 driver. No luck from AMD website 

Edited by ch4rl1e97

Fluffy Cupcake

I have both 32 & 64bit of the driver on hand, which do you need?

BTW, after this if it is successful for you, the HAL option should be working.

Since you're using a laptop, see if you can force LRR to run with integrated graphics instead of with the GPU. I've had to do that on some laptops that had issues running the game. If that works, you won't have to use outdated drivers for other games.

@Xiron

I'm on 64-bit 

I found a 13.15###...something version of the driver apparently for the AMD 8400 graphics, first tried uninstalling the current driver, then of course it reinstalls on it's own because reasons, it wont let me do it by choosing a file with it already installed as the installed one is a higher version number. But following THIS I managed to get it installing, unfortunately I then got an error (Code 43) and thus reinstalled the updated version. 

Let's see if your files works any better please :) 

@Cirevam

I do not appear to be able to do that, my GPU IS integrated, I believe. I don't have a separate GPU card in this thing, as far as I know, it's part of the cpu. 

I'm going to try it on my Windows XP Virtual Machine, though I've heard bad things about RR on them. 

EDIT: Didn't work on the XP Virtual Machine either. Getting the "No Direct 3D Accelerator.." issue. 

EDIT2: Using Compatibility mode for WinXP (SP3), I can run it fullscreen, but ends up with all the same issues as before,also painful FPS is painful...

Fluffy Cupcake

Since there seems to be multiple answers across various topics, you'd think we'd have mega Rock Raiders vs. AMD topic. I think that would be quite handy as AMD is a hit problem, and there are quite a few different solutions that does and does not work for everyone, and not all users have all the solutions memorized and want to repeatedly type out the one they know for the 20th time.

For the future I have uploaded both drivers here:

32-bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j7t6ofmd633cqy6/13-1_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc_whql.zip

64-bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/04f5xmpp9lz2gip/13-1_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.zip

Although they don't say Win10 because it didn't exist back then, I can verify it still works.

• Like 2

Since there seems to be multiple answers across various topics, you'd think we'd have mega Rock Raiders vs. AMD topic. I think that would be quite handy as AMD is a hit problem, and there are quite a few different solutions that does and does not work for everyone, and not all users have all the solutions memorized and want to repeatedly type out the one they know for the 20th time.

32-bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j7t6ofmd633cqy6/13-1_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc_whql.zip

64-bit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/04f5xmpp9lz2gip/13-1_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.zip

Although they don't say Win10 because it didn't exist back then, I can verify it still works.

Thank you very much man I'll see if I can make it work! :D

Yes having a AMD topic seems like a good idea.

Wait so I just run Setup and install everything? That's it? 
The Desktop rightclick menu>AMD Catalyst Control Centre option no longer does anything when clicked

EDIT: Going to do the uninstall first, again, will post back if LRR works

I never thought I'd be posting in this subforum with my own problems, but as it happens I'm in the same boat here - my game has worked fine on other computers, but trying to get it running on my new Windows 10 results in a black screen flashing, followed by no .exe appearing in Task Manager. Unlike ch4rl1e97 however, I'm using an Nvidia graphics card, and I don't even get to choose the Driver/Device options as the window never appears. I've used the "Select Video Card" shortcut, but this brings up a "Video Card Selector" window with a "Select Video Card type:" dropdown menu, in which the only options are Default, Voodoo2 and Savage3D. None seemed to work.

If it makes a difference, I used Daemon Tools (Ultra, the trial, as the free version can't get passed LRR's protection) to make a virtual .MDX image of my physical disc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've messed around with various Compatibility settings and tried running with/without administrative privileges. I've also tried Cafeteria with various settings.

Edited by JimbobJeffers

Nope, nope nopenopenope :cry:

All that thing seemed to do was uninstall my current  AMD Catalyst Control Centre and install AMD VISION Engine Control Centre instead, that just has less options. My actual drivers have no changed. Did I miss something?

Hang on am installing windows 8 driver files out of the folder I've found, if I dont reply by the end of today my computer died from this haha. 

I should find out how to boot into safemode on UEFI

Nevermind it refuses to install it, reports it as not for this version of windows. 

I Might just try and put up with my clunky half dead intel laptop to play it.

I'm going to try some other old games on this current one, btw does anyone have a link for the most recent Catalyst Control Centre (I don't know if I had a specifically Toshiba Satellite edition of CCC maybe?) because I really don't trust the AMD website all that much.

Edited by ch4rl1e97

is anyone else having a "bug" that after a while, the common windows services simply stop working? (the start menu does not show up, and also the search menu, and the notifications, and probably Microsoft Edge won't work either)

i guess its just Windows 10 finishing to screw up my computer that was already screwed up when it was using Windows 7...

Also, I tested all LEGO games I have, they work perfectly, even LEGO Island ONE, I am surprised that it worked very well, there were no glitches on it, even when exitting it, there is no "BEEEEEEP"

But there was one game that didn't work, and that is Island Xtreme Stunts. In Windows 7, if you loaded a saved game, the game would crash (may I remind you I am using the "no-CD" thing) but if you started a new game, you're good. But this time it crashes at random times when you start the game... it's weird.

is anyone else having a "bug" that after a while, the common windows services simply stop working? (the start menu does not show up, and also the search menu, and the notifications, and probably Microsoft Edge won't work either)

On my own computer I have no problems, although it's only a few months old and has high specs. On the other hand, the family computer does experience those issues periodically so we sometimes have to use Task Manager to exit applications, log off or turn off. That computer is a few years old and had been blue-screening a fair bit with Windows 7 before its recent update, so I imagine it's just to do with age or a lack of modern hardware.

I know I've been away for a lot longer than I should have, sorry, but since everyone else is posting their issues I thought I'd chime in. Having the same problems: game crashes instantly in D3DHal mode, loads up in RGB emulation but the boulders are untextured and it crashes when a level loads.

They don't work for me, and I'm not even running Windows 10, I'm using a Win7 secondary boot. Tried installing the x64 one, it said it was installing to \Program Files\ATI Technologies, but then when it finished "installing", that folder was completely empty - all it had done was copy the contents of the ZIP into \Program Files\ATI\CIM and installed the installer. No drivers had been installed, no Catalyst Control Center had been installed. Tried re-installing it - nothing. Tried manually loading what I assumed were the drivers into the Catalyst installer - nothing. Tried re-downloading this version and even older versions of AMD from the AMD website itself - nothing. Tried downloading older versions from shady upload sites - the files were legit, but they did nothing. Tried installing the newest version of AMD, then deleting the drivers and loading the old drivers into the newer Control Center - absolutely nothing. Nothing I've tried will install these drivers. It either skips over them and claims it's done when it did nothing, or jumps to 99% and just sits there until I terminate the process.

What's even more offensive is that this is the same machine I used back in my previous days on RRU, and the same Windows 7 install disc I used to install a dual boot back then (I factory reset the machine since then), and I distinctly remember being able to run Rock Raiders and recording numerous videos of it for my Youtube channels Remember all those? Yeah... I guess AMD boned it over since those days.

I Might just try and put up with my clunky half dead intel laptop to play it.

Something like this or running this boot with no graphics drivers at all and putting up with RGB emulation seems to be my only options at this point, unless there's something embarrassingly-obvious that I'm missing here.

Fluffy Cupcake

Tried installing the x64 one, it said it was installing to \Program Files\ATI Technologies, but then when it finished "installing", that folder was completely empty - all it had done was copy the contents of the ZIP into \Program Files\ATI\CIM and installed the installer. No drivers had been installed, no Catalyst Control Center had been installed. Tried re-installing it - nothing.

Well that's just plain stupid. :|

Probably the worst solution, but does HAL work with NO drivers installed at all? I recall when that solution was first introduced I uninstalled the current drivers without reinstalling any drivers and it worked as well.

Nope, removed the VGA drivers too and it's still just RGB emulation.

Edit: of course being in Safe Mode might have been something to do with it... but I can't remove it in normal mode without it instantly being re-installed. Thanks, Microsoft.

I disabled rather than uninstalled my graphics driver then went with what I did before go get a main menu but now it just tells me there are no screen mode options available at all so that didn't work for me. 

Don't know if I mentioned already but a XP virtual machine didn't work and the iso for 98 I downloaded didn't work so I gave up with VMs at that point

I went with the old intel laptop option and it was indeed clunky but hey it worked, until the random lag spikes and then crashing while I was trying to build an electric fence system on frozen frenze.

Oh and today I learned this game had music but it wasn't included in the RE:FLEX release, which explains the music volume options not doing anything useful. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.