Problem in W10

Tooandorisu

Tooandorisu

So I'm trying to play LRR, but NOTHING happends. I click on the game, but nothing. NADA. I've tried compatibility WXP SP3 and admin rights. Nothing. Tried to copy all files from cd, nothing. I was able to get into the menu in W8.1, but that was it.. I got an AMD graphic card if that has something to do with it

• 2 weeks later...
Lop Huckawuckie

I have the same problem, albeit on an NVidia graphics card (GTS 450). Nothing happens when you click to run LRR. I've tried compatibility settings and even the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit too. No luck.

(I've got the same original CD, circa 1999. I recently performed a clean install of Windows 10 on my formerly working Windows 7 hardware...)

you're not the only one, it didnt work on my PC in W8.1 nor W10. On my other pc, which has W7, RR could run. too bad, it had a lot of problems running it. But i want to run it on my new PC without problems in W10. im trying to salvage it without succes. Any help would be great!

Some older games that use SafeDisc or SecuROM won't run in Windows 10. Rock Raiders reportedly uses SafeDisc. Using a no-cd should fix the issue.

Edited by dsdude123
Fixed a punctuation error.

I ripped my disc with the Ultra version of Daemon Tools, which supposedly removes SafeDisc. Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me, although that's probably either a hardware thing or me just doing it wrong.

Daemon Tools likely only will remove the SafeDisc digital signature that is on the disc. The games executables will still contain the SafeDisc authenticator though. As a result, a no-cd is likely still required.

Lop Huckawuckie

I did read that SafeDisc is no longer supported in Windows 10. However, didn't the LRR re-release CDs in the early 2000's remove the SafeDisc copy protection? If so, someone with one of the newer CDs should be able to confirm if SafeDisc is indeed the issue...

While I could get a later version of Rock Raiders that runs without needing a disc, it'd be great if I can get my current studded-case version to work. I've installed WinXP (using the official 30-day trial version) on VirtualBox and successfully installed LRR. Upon running it the loading screen appears (whoopee, progress!) after which I get the following error:

"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart the application"

The game wasn't installed through my disc drive, rather I created a digital copy of the disc and mounted it on Daemontools which was installed on the WinXP machine. I've tried change the disc drive letter from F to D and I still get the same error... Is there some way to get the game to recognise the disc drive?

If I can get this particular method working then I'll happily write up a detailed tutorial on it.

EDIT: IT WORKS! Time to write a tutorial.

Edited by JimbobJeffers
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.