Considering upgrading to Win 10, should I?

AnotherCrazyCanadian

AnotherCrazyCanadian

Hey super knowledgeable people of the RRU community, I am considering getting the Windows 10 update while it is free, but since I already know the compatibility issues the game has had with windows 7, I was wondering if that was a wise idea or I could ultimately break the game. My specs are below.

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz    40 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-A (SOCKET 1150)    28 °C
Graphics
    VG248 (1920x1080@144Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (MSI)    29 °C
Storage
    2794GB Seagate ST3000DM ST3000DM001-1CH1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)    29 °C
    1GB Generic Flash Disk USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    ASUS DRW-24F1ST a SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

I also had to salvage my game and configure a few things (texture usage, don't play AVI's) to get it to work properly. Also, I've been using the cafeteria mod and that has been fantastic, but I am also unsure if that will cause issues for the Windows 10 update.

Can I get some links or answers please?
Thanks everyone!

Edited by AnotherCrazyCanadian

Fluffy Cupcake

but since I already know the compatibility issues the game has had with windows 7, I was wondering if that was a wise idea or I could ultimately break the game.

As a W10 technical preview user, I can safely say that any problems you get with Windows 7 will remain with Windows 10. No new problems will occur or dissipate.

At least for me. I have an AMD graphics card and those are known to be THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. THING. with Rock Raiders (although mine I can get working with RR, yay). I also use Reltek audio.

Normally, I would recommend avoiding early releases of operating systems, but Windows 10 allows you to revert back to earlier versions of Windows without having to do a clean install so go ahead. Chances are you'll like it, though.

Don't expect any support from Microsoft once you upgrade, though - their support techs aren't even trained on Windows 10 yet, and they probably won't be until they can get their hands on the full release.

Now, I can't run LRR on Windows 10, but I have an AMD GPU, and, well, Xiron said everything that needs to be said about those. I have heard that someone here has gotten the game to work quite well using an nVidia card, though.

Edited by Phoenyx

I am trying to remember who said this, but I think it was Nog that has LRR running on Windows 10 with no issues. However, I could be confusing him with Xiron. :P

AnotherCrazyCanadian

Alright, thanks guys for the info. I found out that I actually still have a year to make the free upgrade, as I thought I had to upgrade by the 30th or something like that. I am still quite interested in upgrading, but I think I'll wait a bit on it.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.