What would Lego Island look like now / What would Lego Island 4 be like?

Zeb

Having played the original Lego Island and started on its sequel, I can tell that a lot changed on the island, including its size, which I guess could only be explained by saying that the islanders (:P) built it to be bigger. And having seen the Lego Island Xtreme Stunts set with the Information Center, I can tell the island probably only changes even more in that game. But what if Lego Island 4 was released? What do you think Lego Island would look like then, considering how far Lego videogames have come? I think the obvious buildings like the Police Station and Hospital would be updated to the latest City sets, but what about the Information Center and the Pizzeria? Assuming a Lego Island 4 had as much customization as the previous 3 games, how much more would it have now? Would you be able to smash the flowers for studs? And would the terrain now look like it was made entirely out of Lego bricks, in the style of The Lego Movie Videogame or Lego Worlds? What about the other islands? Share what you think Lego Island looks like today (both story-wise and realistically if a video-game sequel was released today)!

Well, I think the game'll be more "down to earth"; The original LEGO Island was crazy, and the second game weighing an ounce of the insanity, but I think LEHO will be more serious if they ever made a LEGO Island 4 (or, to some members, "LEGO Island 3").

I kinda see Lego City Undercover as a sort of spiritual successor to the Lego Island games (open world, story-based, not licenced except Lego itself, and even has at least two references to the LI games), but I'd like to see a new game in this vein for everyone to play (since I'm probably one of the few people here who own LCU).

Edited by Ostoya
  • Like 1

If LEGO Island were to be made today, it would not be called LEGO Island. It would likely be called LEGO City or something like that.

LEGO Island was a product of a different time. Back in the nineties, most computers did not have more than 32 megabytes of random access memory. Today, most new computers have at least 8 gigabytes of RAM. That's a 250-fold increase. So if you were to create a video game world today, why limit yourself to a small island when you can create much larger things?

Realistically speaking, the closest thing we'll see to another LEGO Island game would be...

• An open-world game like LEGO City Undercover with more features like racing, jetski-ing, building, flying, customizing, driving, and having fun.
  • Or, LEGO could decide to exploit LEGO Island nostalgia and release a character pack featuring Pepper and the Brickster for LEGO Dimensions. However, I'd doubt that this level would be the true LEGO Island experience. It would be the same sort of linear platforming level from TTGames, only this time set on LEGO Island.

I'd still love for Pepper Roni to appear in a LEGO video game someday, but now that LEGO has new non-licensed characters like Emmet and Wyldstyle, I doubt we'll see the citizens of LEGO Island anytime soon. :(

(or, to some members, "LEGO Island 3").

Hm... any users you're referring to specifically? ;)

Fluffy Cupcake

It would be some mediocre story where you punch things to get studs to buy NPCs, vehicles, and gree-red bricks to be used in free play mode.

Well, if TT Games made it that's what it would be at least.

MaelstromIslander

It would be named LEGO Island, and would be a reboot with entirely new characters and some old ones thrown in the trash. There would be a hub which is the Info-Centre, and it would have six sets of levels, and each level would take place during some event on the island and when you're done with the game which you finished in two hour's story, you can waste another two hours of your life replaying those same levels as another character and collect a a dozen of strange cylinder things to win a green-red brick which does absolutely nothing, or punch stuff for chrome studs and win "True Loser" and brag to your friends how wasteful you are of your life. You can also go the info-desk where you can buy useless characters who either has the same abilities as the characters you've already earned from the beginning of the game or does absolutely nothing. The cut scenes will be horribly animated and have nothing but mumbling because LEGO can't afford actual voice acting and as of such will make the said cutscene impossible to understand. The collisions in the info-centre will be poorly modelled and have tons of gaps where the player will randomly fall through the floor. The enemies will usually never spawn and the music will be very buggy and constantly stop, start, and infinitely repeat until you turn the music off, and the bosses will be impossible to defeat and the game will usually crash on the TT intro. If you've collected every green-red brick in the game you can build an ugly fountain that poops purple studs but by the time you've collected all the bricks you probably already purchased everything so why do you even need the studs in the first place?

Oh wait, I forget, fantasies were supposed to be positive...

Fluffy Cupcake

Thank you MaelstromIslander for going further in depth then I would of ever!

The cut scenes will be horribly animated and have nothing but mumbling because LEGO can't afford actual voice acting and as of such will make the said cutscene impossible to understand.

​New LEGO Island voiced scenes mod anyone? :af:

Cynicism FTW, eh?

It's funny because LCU had full voice acting, with pretty good presentation overall. It only makes me desire more non-licensed games now.

Um I'm relatively sure all the games since LEGO Batman 2 have had voice acting. At least, Batman 2, The Hobbit, LCU all have.

Lego Island 4? Hmm... so many ideas are popping in my head that I wouldn't know where to begin!

ONE HALF HOUR LATER...

My expectation:

I'd envision Lego Island being larger with several skyscrapers and a somewhat larger population. Not really like a major city, but it would look like the packaging backgrounds from the Island Xtreme Stunts sets.

The story itself would be more complex than the previous games. It would probably be dark and take place around several locations from various Lego themes. Perhaps kind of like the storyline for the fan-made Lego Island 3 game, but improved. Basically, Pepper would suddenly find his home deserted and destroyed more than ever before (Well, destruction would be like LI2, but there would be almost no one else around). If he finds any other fellow citizens, they would all escape with a boat or plane (assuming that the seas and skies aren't under the Brickster's surveillance). Later, they'll arrive on a deserted island either intentionally to rest or by accident. They would spend a night on the island or at least walk around before Pepper discovers his father Bologna Roni. When the two meet each other for the first time (unless the game acknowledges the GBC version of LI2's story), they decide to work together to stop the Brickster along with the people of Lego Island and other friends they'll meet along the way. The Brickster would be hungry for power and re-attempt his plan to deconstruct the world, this time allied with other villains, such as Captain Redbeard, Sam Sinister and Martian Spy Arcturus. Ogel would also make an appearance, but he and the Brickster would be arguing and fighting for power as they would both be strong villains. In the end, Ogel would betray the Brickster and all other villains to take over the world (or freeze it...). For the first time, the Brickster would actually be a hero as well. It would take Pepper, the Alpha Team and all of Lego Island and its allies to defeat Ogel and end the story.

For the gameplay, I'd like to see a retouched IXS-style roaming mode with an optional LI1 First-person view. There should be a currency, map and inventory system and a large variety of minigames. Also included should be several playable charactes each with their own stats and unique abilities.

Reality:

Unfortunately, there may never be a Lego Island 4 unless a high demand prompted Lego to bring back the series. Of course, the gameplay would be like any other TT game: goofy cutscenes, repetitive gameplay and an objective to destroy every single Lego object/thing except yourself in order to survive and get money.

Even if the series was continued, Pepper would probably be given a makeover and not even seem like the same pizza delivery boy we all knew. As a character introduced in the 1990s, some of the kids of this generation might not even be interested in him. We haven't heard much about Pepper since after 2002, and LEGO has changed a lot since that time, introducing many more licensed characters and originals like Emmet and Wyldstyle. Who knows, though? Maybe Pepper will one day make a cameo appearance in a game or movie?

Edited by Azarth

I kinda see Lego City Undercover as a sort of spiritual successor to the Lego Island games (open world, story-based, not licenced except Lego itself, and even has at least two references to the LI games), but I'd like to see a new game in this vein for everyone to play (since I'm probably one of the few people here who own LCU).

Oh cool, what references does LCU have to Lego Island?

Quisoves Potoo

I think a fair question is "What popular contemporary game could LEGO Island 4 imitate?" LEGO is a toy company first, and its games serve largely as marketing. Just as both LEGO Racers are kart-games of the sort popularized by Mario Kart, LEGO City Undercover is (or so I am told) a toned-down Grand Theft Auto, and LEGO Worlds is a Minecraft Competitor, so any LEGO game whose greatest hook is not its IP will need a sufficiently attractive template. Chances are, LEGO would prefer that template to be tried and true. A fourth LEGO Island is unlikely to be what Mael describes, for the simple reason that it would not stand out enough.

A familiar joke during the intro ("And what brings you to Lego City, young lady?" "Err... This boat?")

The fact that the final mission takes place in space and has you skydiving

Also looking through the forums Jamesster has discovered that apparently Vinnie Pappalardo is voiced by the same VA as Papa Brickolini in IXS. But I can't seem to confirm that myself.

Edited by Ostoya

ProfessorBrickkeeper

A familiar joke during the intro ("And what brings you to Lego City, young lady?" "Err... This boat?")

Hidden Content

Also looking through the forums Jamesster has discovered that apparently Vinnie Pappalardo is voiced by the same VA as Papa Brickolini in IXS. But I can't seem to confirm that myself.

I can confirm this being the case. Additionally, the chef by the pool in one of the open-world missions is voiced by the same actor who voiced the director in IXS.

• 2 months later...

I would like a new lego island game or at least an appearance of pepper or other characters, even if TT Games makes it.

But I like the idea of a fangame. If someone really wants something like that, it would be better using something like Unity,

or if someone could take care of a lot of sprites and backgrounds, a 2D LEGO Island fangame could be nice as well.

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't play it if there was an official Island 4. I loved the original Lego Island because of its quirkiness, innocence, its farfetched physics and endearing character dialogue. The game's successor, Island 2 didn't capture any of those elements for me, and similarly I fear a fourth instalment would do nothing but tarnish my fond memories of the original and its shark-vomiting pizzeria customers!

MaelstromIslander

I wouldn't play it if there was an official Island 4. I loved the original Lego Island because of its quirkiness, innocence, its far-fetched physics and endearing character dialogue. The game's successor, Island 2 didn't capture any of those elements for me, and similarly I fear a fourth installment would do nothing but tarnish my fond memories of the original and its shark-vomiting pizzeria customers!

LEGO Island doesn't have any physics at all, period. Also, you mentioned LEGO Island 2, but you didn't mention Island Xtreme Stunts, which fixed some of LEGO Island 2's problems.

• Like 1

I wouldn't play it if there was an official Island 4. I loved the original Lego Island because of its quirkiness, innocence, its farfetched physics and endearing character dialogue. The game's successor, Island 2 didn't capture any of those elements for me, and similarly I fear a fourth installment would do nothing but tarnish my fond memories of the original and its shark-vomiting pizzeria customers!

LEGO Island doesn't have any physics at all, period. Also, you mentioned LEGO Island 2, but you didn't mention Island Xtreme Stunts, which fixed some of LEGO Island 2's problems.

I cannot formulate a definitive opinion on Xtreme Stunts, having never played it... I've seen gameplay clips that indicate it's equally unlike Lego Island, though. The dialogue lacked charm. Also, when I say physics, I mean just the way things moved in general and how the Infomaniac abruptly took to the skies whenever he'd finished explaining something!

Fluffy Cupcake

and how the Infomaniac abruptly took to the skies whenever he'd finished explaining something!

Instructors tend to do that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.