Minecraft on Microsoft's HoloLens

Ben24x7

Its funny when people expect someone to screw something up. Nearly everyone thought Microsoft would eternally mess up Minecraft...

...but we, who thought such thoughts, were wrong.

During an XBOX runthrough live at E3, Microsoft revealled the news that they have developed Minecraft to be compatable with their new HoloLens. Watch the video for more;

Personally, I find this a bit mindblowing. I feel this has so much potential; imagine getting lost in Survival, and just picking up the HoloLens you don't need a map. Imagine playing a game (take RRU UHC for instance) where you can spy on people. It's possibilities are seemingly endless, but there has to be a catch shouldn't there? Well, we don't have confirmation of any problems with the HoloLens yet, but we'll see.

That is very cool indeed, and I commend Microsoft for its design. Buuut I have no intention of buying it, I assume it will be rather expensive and as of yet it only seems to support Minecraft. As cool as it would be to visualise your world in 3D, unless it costs less than half the price of a modern TV I'd rather have something more universal.

Now, were they to produce this with compatibility for LEGO Worlds/Digital Designer... Ho ho ho, ho ho ho ho ho ho... I would splash so much cash on that thing it would make Games Workshop cry.

Being connected to multiple tech circles, I've known about this for a while.

It's pretty interesting how far smartglass technology has come. I've already been planning on getting one, but this seals the deal.

I'm actually more interested in how they got the Pocket Edition to connect to either the Console Edition or the PC version... Unless that's a Surface 3, which can run the PC version.

Edited by Phoenyx

lol username

Now, were they to produce this with compatibility for LEGO Worlds/Digital Designer... Ho ho ho, ho ho ho ho ho ho... I would splash so much cash on that thing it would make Games Workshop cry.

​Don't hold your breath, but the folks at TT working on LEGO Worlds are definitely impressed by it:

(Toby's a designer, Scott a programmer)

We can dream, eh?

Fluffy Cupcake

It looks cool to say the least. This would probably be the only thing to make me pick up Minecraft majorly again, but of course it will likely be mega expensive, so nope.

I guess I don't get it, to be honest.  It basically turns Minecraft from an immersive game into a more table-top-oriented game?  I can see the applications for board games (think of table-top RPGs!) but I don't really see how it improves that much on Minecraft.

The Ace Railgun

I'm not really interested in the minecraft aspect of this device, but during the Microsoft non gaming event a few months ago they showed off a 3D modeling program that caught my interest, and I'm also wondering how video editing could work on such a platform.

My general rule is to not buy first gen tech, however I may have to break that rule with this device. I'll probably end up getting it sometime down the road after it's release.

Edited by The Ace Railgun

Shadowblaze

I guess I don't get it, to be honest.  It basically turns Minecraft from an immersive game into a more table-top-oriented game?  I can see the applications for board games (think of table-top RPGs!) but I don't really see how it improves that much on Minecraft.

​I completely agree. Same goes for LEGO Worlds, I prefer being inside a bricky world rather than looking at a build basically identical to one I could make in real life. But dang, the RPG stuff...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.