Bricklink Upgrades to the Year 2004

emily

So remember how Bricklink got bought out by a huge company? And how, instead of opting to rescue the site's interface from the 90s, they made LEGO Cuusoo again?

Well now they've finally turned their attention to the core site by launching a beta for its upcoming facelift.

Right now it's mostly just a reskin of the site to bring it slightly more up to date, but there are some important new features as well. Like, they actually addressed what were easily Bricklink's greatest problems. That's right. You can now pay on-site, as opposed to throwing the seller a payment over PayPal manually as we have done since the dawn of time.

And you can run a search without having to specify the category (sets, parts, instructions) you want first. You get a nice set of tabs that let you select any category you wish to view, all on one search results page.

You can see the announcement here, and try out the preview here.

Edited by Pereki

Not bad, at least it's so similar I won't have to adjust to it again.

I do wish they'd change the forum completely though because the system they use is antiquated.

Oh hey, it even looks like it's from 2004, complete with OH MY WORD WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT All uppercase HTML, old HTML4 styling markup, and messages AND it probably uses Quirks Mode techniques??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

*dies*

Oh hey, it even looks like it's from 2004, complete with OH MY WORD WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT All uppercase HTML, old HTML4 styling markup, and messages AND it probably uses Quirks Mode techniques??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

*dies*

​Yep. No DOCTYPE declared...

But if it works, it works.

I was hoping for a responsive design that utilized the entire width of the page and looked like it fit into 2015, but at least this is an improvement. :P

• 1 month later...

Well, BrickLink has been upgraded to 2004.

And people hate it. :/

I'll take 90s web design over modern hovery unintuitive ick any day.

Who do we tar and feather to get it reverted?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Unless the majority of the active members loose this "leave it be as I like it and don't dare change it" mentality and embrace the modern, the here and now, BrickLink will die from lack of new members and being stuck in the "olden days".

Also, someone made some neat mockups of what the site could be. The first image is really nice. Too bad BL would utterly revolt because of how "radically disgusting" it would be. :/

With anything that any popular company does to change its product, there will always be someone or some group of people who will hate on it. I'm not surprised that there are a few rant topics about already. My opinion is that the site is a nice improvement on its predecessor, while keeping a very similar interface in terms of functionality so as not to alienate its users.

I would love an even more modern update though!

EDIT: Oh wow, I hadn't checked out the items page yet. I think this is so much better than this.

I'm glad that website is finally getting some polish, but I've just been amazed at how well it has worked over the years.  The company I do some barebones marketing work with updates their website every few weeks and breaks it every few weeks.  They became a publicly traded company this last week and I can't even access my account because they broke the state field on the verification page. oi.

Although the ten year gap between my last time using Bricklink at age 15 and using it again at age 25 and the website was identical was definitely interesting.

I have found a few places within the searching and catalog browsing of Bricklink where the links don't respond to opening a new tab.  Thats a total pain in the ass.  

• 3 months later...

This has been a long time coming. Bricklink has partnered with Brickset in order to list items for sale on the Brickset set details page!

Example. If you scroll down to the main 'buy' tab, you're given the most expensive option (sneaky) but the sidebar has the buy at Bricklink section that lists the cheapest options for new and used inside and outside the US and North America.

If you scroll down to the main 'buy' tab, you're given the most expensive option (sneaky)

It could be a bug or oversight depending on how the BL API results are delivered and sorted. It'd be worth reporting to Huw.

Meanwhile, BL itself is still in 2004.... :\

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
The Ace Railgun

Oh so that's what they were doing, I was wondering why the site was down today. Looks much better though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.