Building a gaming PC for under $300

Onegreatrace

Onegreatrace

After wanting to for so long, I've finally saved up some cash, sold my PS4, and I am going to attempt to do the impossible. Build a gaming PC for under $300.

(This will be my first pc build)

Goals for the build

• Run GTA V on at least Medium at 60 fps+
  • Run CS:GO while livestreaming maximum at 60 fps+
  • Run Minecraft with Shaders at 60 fps+
  • Run LEGO Worlds at 60 fps+
  • Be upgradable for the future
  • Not exceed my budget of $300

Some pretty hefty goals for $300, but I am confident.

I picked up my first part today, a Radeon HD 7870. I think I got a steal on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Radeon-HD-7870-2GB-OC-Edition-Video-Graphics-Card-R7870-2GD5T-OC-/131510367189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9ea0f3d5

I'm planning on using a G3258 for my processor. Not sure on other stuff.

I'd love it if you guys would suggest some parts to me! My goal should soon be met!

Does the budget include stuff like the case, monitor, etc?

If going for the G3258, you'll probably want a motherboard with a H97 or Z97 chipset. Others may work, but some will require a bios update to support it. On some boards, you'd have to already have a compatible CPU to do the update, then swap to your new one.

You say this will be your first build. How much do you know about building computers?

Onegreatrace

Does the budget include stuff like the case, monitor, etc?

If going for the G3258, you'll probably want a motherboard with a H97 or Z97 chipset. Others may work, but some will require a bios update to support it. On some boards, you'd have to already have a compatible CPU to do the update, then swap to your new one.

You say this will be your first build. How much do you know about building computers?

​The budget only includes the tower itself.

I know quite a bit about building PCs from watching LinusTechTips :P

I'm aware of the bios update issue. I've made sure to pick one out that already supports it.

This website is pretty handy for checking up prices for new parts. It doesn't find prices from every website, but it's worth looking at.

http://pcpartpicker.com/

I'm currently using it to come up with a decent build that fits your budget. I keep hitting the limit before some important parts are added. :(

Are you re-using any parts from another computer?

Onegreatrace

This website is pretty handy for checking up prices for new parts. It doesn't find prices from every website, but it's worth looking at.

http://pcpartpicker.com/

I'm currently using it to come up with a decent build that fits your budget. I keep hitting the limit before some important parts are added. :(

Are you re-using any parts from another computer?

​Just the 7870 that I already bought for $100 - which I'm including in my budget. So I have $200 for everything else.

Edited by Onegreatrace

I used pcpartpicker to build my first PC a few months ago, it's a great site. I'd be very interested to see if you can pull this off. Personally I would say wait a bit longer until you can save up more money and get greater performance, but if it's unlikely you'll get much more then there's no need. Also, that website lets you search completed builds by price.

This is tough... I'm hitting over $400 and that's without a case and optical drive...

I mean... used parts are an option, like the graphics card you have... That would bring the price down quite a bit. I'm only going by new prices.

Also, that website lets you search completed builds by price.

​Yes, but quite a few of those people are re-using parts... Some don't even list the prices for some/all parts...

Onegreatrace

This is tough... I'm hitting over $400 and that's without a case and optical drive...

I mean... used parts are an option, like the graphics card you have... That would bring the price down quite a bit. I'm only going by new prices.

Also, that website lets you search completed builds by price.

​Yes, but quite a few of those people are re-using parts... Some don't even list the prices for some/all parts...

​This is what I've got

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/97fMQ7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/97fMQ7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($33.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Pareema 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card  ($107.86) 
Case: Zalman Z5 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $313.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 17:54 EDT-0400

(that includes my GFX card)

Edited by Onegreatrace

Ah... It's probably just me being picky about some brands.

EDIT: Wait... I see no storage or optical drive!

Onegreatrace

Ah... It's probably just me being picky about some brands.

​So how does the one I've picked look??

OH RIGHT! I forgot, I have a Hard Drive already. I really don't need an optical drive TBH.

Edited by Onegreatrace

I've never heard of Pareema... I'd go for a brand like G.Skill: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl10s8gbxl

The H81 board may or may not work, depending on whether it has a pre-updated BIOS.

​OH RIGHT! I forgot, I have a Hard Drive already. I really don't need an optical drive TBH.

​How are you going to install older games then? Do you have an external DVD drive?

Onegreatrace

I've never heard of Pareema... I'd go for a brand like G.Skill: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl10s8gbxl

The H81 board may or may not work, depending on whether it has a pre-updated BIOS.

​OH RIGHT! I forgot, I have a Hard Drive already. I really don't need an optical drive TBH.

​How are you going to install older games then? Do you have an external DVD drive?

​My laptop has a DVD drive, so put it in there, extract the disk to USB. Pretty simple :P

Thanks for the ram suggestion! I really think this PC will destroy the goals!!

Onegreatrace

I'd still recommend a H97 or Z97 board for known compatibility with the processor. They do cost more, but it could save a headache.

If you like MSI, here's the cheapest one I could find: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-h97me35

​Alright, I'll take it into consideration. Thanks for the help.

Stay tuned for more people! Should order the parts soon.

Dazzgracefulmoon

Another thing to consider is: What's your Monitor's resolution? and are you planning to run all games in your native resolution or just a specific, small one like 1280x720? If that's the case (mind the pun) then you may be able to downsize a little.

I'm assuming it's the one in his profile ("19 inch APEX 1080p Monitor"), although Google shows me 720p TVs if I search for that...

Onegreatrace

I'm assuming it's the one in his profile ("19 inch APEX 1080p Monitor"), although Google shows me 720p TVs if I search for that...

Another thing to consider is: What's your Monitor's resolution? and are you planning to run all games in your native resolution or just a specific, small one like 1280x720? If that's the case (mind the pun) then you may be able to downsize a little.

​It is indeed a 1080p Apex monitor, not 100% sure on the size though so I estimated. I will be running on 1080p.

Dazzgracefulmoon

Also, before you think about having Crossfire for your PC, I would reccomend using the rig first and see how hot It averages, before putting another GPU in.

Dazzgracefulmoon

Oh, huh. Didn't notice that. But still, if you ever consider upgrading your rig a little to store two GPUs I would advise testing how hot it averages.

You're not going to run GTA V on medium at 60FPS for $300. You won't get CS:GO livestreaming at 60FPS for $300 (and that's more dependant on Internet speeds too).

Aim lower. You can buy a decent build for $300, but it's not going to launch you to the moon. Even people with GTX 780s can struggle to get 60FPS on medium in GTA V.

Onegreatrace

You're not going to run GTA V on medium at 60FPS for $300. You won't get CS:GO livestreaming at 60FPS for $300 (and that's more dependant on Internet speeds too).

Aim lower. You can buy a decent build for $300, but it's not going to launch you to the moon. Even people with GTX 780s can struggle to get 60FPS on medium in GTA V.

​Want to make a bet?

Picked up a H97 off of Craiglist for $33.99, really proud of that pickup.

​Want to make a bet?

​I'd put my life savings on it.

The only way I see you winning said bet is if you try to play at 640x480.

At 1080p, a GTX970, which is superior in nearly every single measurable way, by as much as 200%, still won't reliably get you 60FPS on medium on GTA V.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.