Lego "Angry Birds" sets arriving in 2016

Ayliffe

Rovio, that game studio who keep pumping out angry bird games like there's no tomorrow, have just announced that they will be partnering up with TLG to release a full "Lego Angry Birds" theme in spring 2016. Apparently the line will mainly be based on the sony pictures film which is being released in, surprise surprise, spring 2016. In case you didn't know, here's what them main bird-y characters will look like in the film:

__thumb_-3-Angry%20Birds%20Movie.jpg

Well this is gonna be, um, interesting. 

Here's the press release anyways:

LAS VEGAS, Nevada– 8th June 2015– Rovio, makers of Angry Birds, the most downloaded mobile game ever, today announced a partnership with The LEGO Group to develop a line of construction toys. LEGO® Angry Birds will be available in spring 2016 to coincide with the release of The Angry Birds Movie, a full-length feature film based on the popular gaming franchise.

“The LEGO brand has an unparalleled ability to connect with people through products that spark creativity and imagination. We’re really excited to build experiences together with this amazing best-in-class partner,” said Pekka Rantala, Chief Executive Officer of Rovio.

“We are excited to bring Angry Birds to life in LEGO form, given the popularity of the game and its characters with fans of all ages, which will only be amplified by the forthcoming film,” said Jill Wilfert, Vice President, licensing & entertainment at The LEGO Group. “We seek partnership with globally relevant properties that offer a unique and rewarding play experience to our fans, and our designers are having fun developing building sets that leverage the engaging play and deconstruction found in the Angry Birds game.”

Further details about the collection, available in spring of 2016, are not yet available.

748.gif

lol username

oh f*** off

Edited by jamesster
cyrem why does that have four asterisks by default

oh f*** off

seriously, f**** off​

Uh... Duck off? That's in line with the forum rules and seems relevant. ;)

If there's an audience for this thing then I really don't blame LEGO for producing sets. It'll make both parties money, I may not buy them but I don't see that warranting an insulting dismissal.

I look forward to the TT Game.

I've seen speculation that Angry Birds could become a part of Lego Dimensions, so that remark may (unfortunately) come true...

I look forward to the TT Game.

I've seen speculation that Angry Birds could become a part of Lego Dimensions, so that remark may (unfortunately) come true...

​I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen. Curious to see how the sets turn out...

I see two problems with this;

1. Not a lot of people pay attention to Angry Birds nowadays, and LEGO should have made maybe a few sets back in the game's hey-day, where practically EVERYONE knew, and was addicted to, Angry Birds

2. The new film looks worse than the jokey war-like "trailer" that the devs released when Angry Birds was picked up by a swarm of people. The look of the film now makes me want to...   ...I dunno, get brain damage, believe I am one of the birds from the game, build a giant catapult and launch myself into the air and land on hard Tarmac.

Edited by Ben24x7
  • Like 2

Everyone in this thread be like

Eh, I don't really care. I don't like Angry Birds but other people do, and I''m not going to deny them something they're interested in just because I'm not a fan of it.

Edited by Fushigisaur
This new editor SUCKS
  • Like 3

Everyone in this thread be like

-truncated-

Eh, I don't really care. I don't like Angry Birds but other people do, and I''m not going to deny them something they're interested in just because I'm not a fan of it.

​I don't mind their choice of license, nor do I mind the blatant cash grab. I'm just tired of all the licensed themes TLG has been pumping out over the past several years. What happened to creativity?

Edited by Phoenyx
  • Like 2

​I don't mind their choice of license, nor do I mind the blatant cash grab. I'm just tired of all the licensed themes TLG has been pumping out over the past several years. What happened to creativity?

​Creativity? Isn't that what Creator, Mixels, Bionicle, Ninjago, and Lego Worlds are?

EDIT: And The Lego Movie?

EDIT 2: But yeah, this is obviously a cash-grab. :P

EDIT 3: And wow, I think everyone is overreacting with the swear words and stuff. I mean seriously, you don't need to say the worst of bad words every time something like this happens, even if it does get censored out.

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

​Creativity? Isn't that what Creator, Mixels, Bionicle, Ninjago, and Lego Worlds are?

​Yes, but that's still nowhere near as many unique themes as LEGO used to have.

​There's also Technic & Mindstorms & Ultra Agents & Elves. But even in licensed themes Lego has plenty of creativity in how the Star Wars ships or Superheroes sets are built. And there are of course the standard themes that aren't necessarily super-creative but are non-licensed, like City, Friends, Castle, Classic, and Pirates. There's also that Lego Fusion game. Actually, it feels like Lego has the same amount of creative themes as back in the 90s. They just have licensed themes as well now.

EDIT: Going to go check that to see how true it is...

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

a) did they forget that the visual style of angry birds was kind of important to the franchise when they made the movie? because that bird is now a 3d fuzzy banana. 3D GUYS, SO IMPORTANT WHEN TAKING FRANCHISES TO THE NEXT LEVEL

b) dear lego, hi, I love you but you are kind of dumb at choosing licenses. please stop

in summary, toast.png

Edited by Pereki
  • Like 2

RacerRabbit

Judging by the movie screenshot, I sense many big-figs shall be included in this line. I don't like the sound of this idea but a tiny little part of me is intrigued as to what the models will look like. Hopefully, there'll be a catapult for minifigs. That could be fun. Right?

​For reference, this year LEGO has 18 original in-house themes, 9 licensed properties, and two that combine their IPs with others. That means that licenses almost take up a perfect third of LEGO's current product range - a considerable percentage, but at the same time it's pretty clear that they have yet to overwhelm LEGO's business strategies.

• Like 2

Goes without saying, but it isn't like I'm good at that kind of thing anyway.

Edited by McStudz

Quisoves Potoo

I don't see how this is any more wonky than Minecraft or Mixels, and those seem quite popular.

I think my excessive use of the "Like" button here has portrayed my thoughts quite nicely.

What I am interested in is "how are the characters going to turn out?" There's only so much you can do with head moulds, and you can't greatly increase/decrease the size of the resulting figure.

Plus, are they even going to use minifigures anyway?

Ayliffe deserves to be promoted to News Reporter. I'm not joking: this is one time when I'm 100% serious, and I think you've done an excellent job so far and a nice shiny red name will make you feel all the better. l405G.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.