game not starting

*_lars_*

hey

it is possible this topic already exist but i am totally new on this site so i dont know and please excuses me for that

i found my rockraiders game back and really want to play it back

installation was not a problem but when i want to start the game it was complaining about a missing d3drm.dll file

i read there that i have to copy the file from the disk to solve that problem but now i have a new one

when i now want to start the game, the loading screen appears on my screen and disappears after a few seconds.

but NOTHING happens after that,

really nothing

can somebody help my please

i use windows 7 professional 64bit

thanks in advence

ps   please forgive my bad english, i live in belgium

First off, you need this file: http://www.driverskit.com/dll/d3drm.dll/494.html

Go all the way down to the bottom where it says "download d3drm.dll". Use that link to download the file. When the file is done downloading, locate the file, right-click it and click cut, then navigate to the LRR game directory. Paste the file in the game directory.

Next, while you're still in there, right click on LRR.exe and click copy. On your desktop, click Paste Shortcut. You do NOT want to use the Standard and Advanced mode shortcuts as they will not work - you want to start the game without any launch parameters selected.

Finally, a few things to note:

• LRR will not run on AMD graphics cards with drivers later than version 13.1.
  • Sonic charges are known to crash. I never had an issue with them, but other people have.
  • The game has to run in 16-bit color mode - no exceptions. You will need to switch your display to 16-bit color before starting the game.
  • If the game continues to crash, you will need to set compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (this seems to be the sweet spot for this game). While you're at it, disable visual themes and display scaling on high DPI settings.

If you still have trouble with the game, there's not much else you can do. This game is just REALLY old and was designed to run on Windows 98 Second Edition.

If the game starts crashing when loading levels, I can't help with that - I'm having the same issue on Windows 10.

Edited by Phoenyx

i did make the shortcut from the EXE file but still no movement

only the loadingscreen and that's all

after work i will try to put my pc to a windows XP compatibillty mode

after work i will try to put my pc to a windows XP compatibillty mode

​Ya don't need to set your PC to Compatability mode. Grab your shortcut, right-click and select "Properties." Go to the "Compatibility" tab and setting it to run in compatibility for XP SP2 should be a breeze. While you're at it, tell it to "Run as administrator."

(I don't think you can set these if the shortcut is in a different drive: like say LegoRR.exe is under D:\ but the shortcut on your desktop is C:\ : the shortcut needs to be in the sme drive)

If ^that^ went completely over your head, ignore it l405G.jpg

Oh, and I take it you do get a box on startup (on clicking the shortcut) that has stuff about 'Fullscreen,' 'Windowed,' "Device' or whatever? You want to make sure you're using "Direct3D HAL." The other one has never worked for anybody.

(It doesn't matter at this point in time whether you choose fullscreen or windowed).

The game has to run in 16-bit color mode - no exceptions. You will need to switch your display to 16-bit color before starting the game.

​No it doesn't: that's to get it to run in windowed (or if you're using Win 8+, which he isn't)

Phoenyx, I take it you have tried telling the videos not to play (via DontPlayAVIs?)

​It's not really advisable to be downloading .dlls from websites. It's better to obtain the .dll from the disc.

Besides, it would seem that lars has already solved the .dll issue.

​M-mm. Nope. The .dll on the LRR disk didn't actually help LRR on one computer.

Strangely though, the .dll from LI1 worked fine l405G.jpg

the box don't appear  so i cant pick DIRECT3D

and compatability mode don't work

somebody a idea?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.