LEGO Worlds News And Discussion

Ayliffe

LimeKiller

... Wait I actually liked The Hobbit... It's my favorite book and I hadn't bought a LEGO game in like six years so I figured why not. And I thought it was alright. At least, I didn't experience any glitches at all.

Anyway, hooray for updates. I haven't been in Worlds for a bit but it looks like I'll get back in now!

Quisoves Potoo

So, it looks like Worlds will be getting DLC packs.

A new folder, "ADDITIONAL CONTENT," exists, with an .xml file that makes reference to "Some Kind of DLC Pack" and "Batman Character Pack," which would be housed in folders "Set 60107" and "Set 60108," respectively.

The newest GAMEGLOBAL.LED refers to several as-yet-nonexistent, corresponding .CPJs.

So, it looks like Worlds will be getting DLC packs.

A new folder, "ADDITIONAL CONTENT," exists, with an .xml file that makes reference to "Some Kind of DLC Pack" and "Batman Character Pack," which would be housed in folders "Set 60107" and "Set 60108," respectively.

The newest GAMEGLOBAL.LED refers to several as-yet-nonexistent, corresponding .CPJs.

Hm, just searched for those two set numbers on Brickset and... well, they don't actually exist yet. My guess is that when those two sets are released, they'll contain codes in the instruction manuals which will unlock the sets in-game, instead of just being sold on steam as extra DLC. Well, I hope so at least...

My guess is that... they'll contain codes in the instruction manuals which will unlock the sets in-game (added note: the editor didn't want me to quote Ayliffe on this, it was being very very silly, as per normal)

Don't be absurd. They'd leak all over the internet.

I could see these DLC packs coming from the beginning. That said, the main game will still be playable and most of the core features we on RRU want: we don't really care much about a Batman DLC (as le717 said above) but we are highly excited to have something with imports from LDD (though no final boss yet, how sad l405G.jpg)...

... I'm just hoping they don't release the main features of the game as DLCs D: 

The DLCs would almost certainly be released solely on Steam: as a quick search of "lego worlds -steam" and the official site seem to say that the only release platform is on Steam... which makes perfect sense as its DLCs are almost certainly totally uncrackable. And TT wants their money. l405G.jpg

The other thing is that this might mean the price of LW, once it exits Early Access, might not skyrocket... hopefully.

Edited by aidenpons

My guess is that... they'll contain codes in the instruction manuals which will unlock the sets in-game (added note: the editor didn't want me to quote Ayliffe on this, it was being very very silly, as per normal)

Don't be absurd. They'd leak all over the internet.

The codes wouldn't be all the same for the instructions - they'd be randomly printed, sorta like the ones that came with CMFs for Minifigures Online. 

Quisoves Potoo

Also, for what it's worth, the newest version of the executable makes reference to Project Douglas, including its TPAGE files.

I just want to post so Ayliffe doesn't get banned for double-triple-TOO MANY posting... l405G.jpg

On another note, I am looking forward to it. TT should get their interface together not too soon, and we've always known they've a Bug Net hiding at the back of the storeroom. Good to see it's finally seeing the light of day, after ten years.

But why does this have to come in my busiest year yet? D: *le717 sniggers "YOU HAVE NO IDEA"* l405G.jpg

First up, developers posted a picture of the first island ever generated by Worlds. We've come a way, folks.

Secondly, most likely due to the constant whining, complaining, impatience, criticism of the developers and attitude of entitlement that plagues the Elimbies Annex (and has gotten on my nerves waaaaaay more than it should have, as many people can testify), a "What we are working on" post has been published. These things won't all be in Update 2, but rather this supplements the planned features list on the store page. Some notable points:

• Underwater exploration is coming, starting with the camera going underwater with you, also "when you dive down you get blue hearts and limited time to explore, while underwater vehicles will have no such problems!"
  • There will not be a separate gameplay mode, AKA Survival à la Minecraft. The reason? "We feel strongly that the identity of the game would suffer." That being said, they "do aim to draw inspiration from modes and mechanics we’ve seen elsewhere, just not in a packaged story or survival mode."
  • We know that many players are reluctant to explore too far for fear of losing their sense of direction and not being able to find their way back, especially if they’ve built something awesome. This can be especially bad if you need to run at low settings. So we’ve been working on showing waypoints in the world, so you can always see where you came from, and a map to allow you to place your own.

• Obviously the camera will continue to be tuned (no mention of first-person mode)

• They are currently making small tweaks the GUI, but in the longer run it will be overhauled (hopefully for the better)

• We are exploring the technical feasibility of adding additional bricks into the Brick Building tool. Hopefully we’ll be able to post a proper technical discussion about this, but we do aim to package up a lot of improvements to brick building in a future update, including the ability to place fixtures and fittings. We also have a couple of new ways to place bricks within the existing build tool.

• "Also tying in to making exploration and discovery better, we are working on a procedural system for generating towns & settlements."

• The biggest news here is more details on multiplayer. Starting with the obvious, their engine was initially designed as single-player, local co-op, not online play. Worlds is thus having them reconsider and rewrite a lot of their engine to work in online multiplayer. Maybe this means we can except online play in future TT games, but who knows. They are also adding local co-op with splitscreen. This one is interesting to me as I kinda expected this to be present already. It seems they were actually going to cut it out completely and replace it with online multiplayer. The problem now is such co-op brings performance issues, which have always been present, but by the nature of Worlds, I can see that being a bigger issue now.

• Update 2 info will be coming out next week. :D

CommanderRed: One thing I ask: can skeletons make less noise? They scream when they attack, they scream when they're attacked, and they scream when they are defeated. It's just a little annoying.

ttcrose: Absolutely not....

• 2 weeks later...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/332310/discussions/0/535152511376169751/

Update 2 details!

• Underwater – Explore and build underwater. If you find yourself running out of air, try the sub or one of those characters that can breathe (or doesn’t need to breathe) underwater…

• Discoveries – For the first time, players will have to do a little more work to discover some of the characters and creatures. This is the first step to what we believe will be a more rewarding Discovery system. But what if you already have everything? Well, you’ll still see the same things but there’s also a new option to reset your save game – without affecting your worlds or brick builds, naturally – so you can start discovering again from scratch.

• Map – Never get lost again, unless like us you can’t actually read a map... Anyway, you can’t miss it – it’s got some great features like adding and removing waypoints ( also appear as beams in the world) and different zoom levels. You can tune it up or turn it off too, and just have the beams – let us know how you use it.

• The Camera Item – Snap happy users can take screenshots using the in-game Camera item to capture their favourite builds, creatures or rocks! Warning: taking a picture of a LEGO Jacket Potato doesn’t suddenly make it interesting!

• Virtual Floor – We’ve added a new sub-feature to Brick Building and Tools. This option is an easy way to build in the air, or add detail to a specific layer, or to keep some of your hard work protected while you go crazy creatively. We also slipped in a ‘free’ related feature on the mouse that allows you to place individual bricks in free space at the cross-hair cursor, rather like when using a controller, without altering the way it works normally.

• LXFML Export update – We’ve updated the LXFML export tool to now include props! Any props you place will now be stored within the model data, meaning you’re able to pack up your house and place exactly as it is anywhere you like! We wouldn’t recommend putting your perfect house too close to the Junkyard though, it’ll halve the value!

• Tracking Camera – We’ve added a new Camera Mode. This is a more rigid setup that requires the player to control rotation and distance a lot more, as opposed to the regular Chase Camera.

• GUI – The grids in the various menus have had a little bit of a summer clean and are now neater on screen and easier to see. This is in advance of a more significant set of improvements, coming soon to an awesome LEGO game near you.

• Info Box – You can now hold the BACK button (on a wired XBOX360 controller) to turn it on and off, instead of having to navigate the pointer. As with the GUI grids, this is a small convenience in advance of bigger improvements.

• Abilities – There are quite a few cool / awesome / funny little things going into this update. We might tease some of them, but for now you’ll have to wait.

• Content – Well, we said above there’s less emphasis on new content, but you can still expect a few new discoveries, plus the winning competition builds. And don’t forget ongoing new animations and audio!

• Fixes – An ongoing focus, especially as we get ready to push out an update, including (but not limited to!) improvements to stability, performance and terrain generation.

• 2 weeks later...
lol username

Update 2 is live!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/332310/discussions/0/521643320368489091/

HOWDY!

We’re delighted to announce that Content Update 2 is now live! We’ve got a plethora of lovely changes, updates, fixes and tweaks for you all to have some fun with! Let’s review what is featured!

Underwater – Explore and build underwater. If you find yourself running out of air, try the sub or one of those characters that can breathe (or doesn’t need to breathe) underwater…

Building Challenge Models! The selected models of the free build challenge will now be in the game as a part of the games base content! A full review of the challenge can be seen here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/332310/discussions/0/535150948593217991/

Discoveries – For the first time, players will have to do a little more work to discover some of the characters and creatures. This is the first step to what we believe will be a more rewarding Discovery system. But what if you already have everything? Well, you’ll still see the same things but there’s also a new option to reset your save game – without affecting your worlds or brick builds, naturally – so you can start discovering again from scratch. We would highly suggest people give this a try (make a backup of your save data if you want the ability to revert!)

Map – Never get lost again, unless like us you can’t actually read a map... Anyway, you can’t miss it – it’s got some great features like adding and removing waypoints ( also appear as beams in the world) and different zoom levels. You can tune it up or turn it off too, and just have the beams – let us know how you use it.

The Camera Item – Snap happy users can take screenshots using the in-game Camera item to capture their favourite builds, creatures or rocks! Warning: taking a picture of a LEGO Jacket Potato doesn’t suddenly make it interesting!

Virtual Floor – We’ve added a new sub-feature to Brick Building and Tools. This option is an easy way to build in the air, or add detail to a specific layer, or to keep some of your hard work protected while you go crazy creatively. We also slipped in a ‘free’ related feature on the mouse that allows you to place individual bricks in free space at the cross-hair cursor, rather like when using a controller, without altering the way it works normally.

LXFML Export update – We’ve updated the LXFML export tool to now include props! Any props you place will now be stored within the model data, meaning you’re able to pack up your house and place exactly as it is anywhere you like! We wouldn’t recommend putting your perfect house too close to the Junkyard though, it’ll halve the value!

Tracking Camera – We’ve added a new Camera Mode. This is a more rigid setup that requires the player to control rotation and distance a lot more, as opposed to the regular Chase Camera.

GUI – The grids in the various menus have had a little bit of a summer clean and are now neater on screen and easier to see. This is in advance of a more significant set of improvements, coming soon to an awesome LEGO game near you.

Info Box – You can now hold the BACK button (on a wired XBOX360 controller) to turn it on and off, instead of having to navigate the pointer. As with the GUI grids, this is a small convenience in advance of bigger improvements.

Abilities – There are quite a few cool / awesome / funny little things going into this update. We might tease some of them, but for now you’ll have to wait.

Content – Well, we said above there’s less emphasis on new content, but you can still expect a few new discoveries, plus the winning competition builds. And don’t forget ongoing new animations and audio! We’ve also updated the interactions and functionality of a few items. Hopefully you can SEE the improvement…

Added Language support – we have now included support for the following languages:
Italian, Japanese, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Dutch, Chinese, Mexican Spanish

On top of all of the above we also have the following patch notes for Bug fixing:

•    Various crash fixes (including the most commonly reported)
•    Resolved an issue where placing lava was causing FPS drops 
•    Resolved a physics issue that was causing certain creatures to be launched into the sky
•    Resolved an issue where certain post-process lighting effects would stop working over time
•    Corrected text in certain control scheme information boxes
•    Resolved an issue that was causing steam screenshot feature to take 2 screenshots instead of just 1
•    Resolved a graphical issue caused by returning to the front end with certain characters active
•    Fixed certain creatures missing skydive animations
•    Resolved an issue that was causing the base of characters feet to appear to be filled when in certain contexts
•    Resolved an issue with flying vehicles clipping into terrain when attempting to land
•    Undo/Redo functionality within the paint tool should now be working correctly
•    Stopped an exploit that allowed players to break the maximum place able water container size
•    Werewolf’s ground slam now has audio attributed 
•    Resolved an issue where props would reappear after being deleted and reloading the world
•    Resolved various issues related to the physics of small parts
•    Changes made to the maximum allowable number of spawned vehicles, as well as how the game handles this limit
•    The tree of the creator house now correctly has parts when broken
•    Resolved an issue where creatures spawning in caves would ping to the surface
•    Stopped the Werewolf’s superjump ability from being activated when interacting with props
•    Various GUI interaction improvements (Changes largely deal with accuracy of detection)
•    Fixed an issue where characters would get stuck in a specific facial expression
•    All creatures should now spawn parts when destroyed
•    Fixed an issue that allowed planes to spawn in caves
•    Various missing audio files added (Specific character contexts where missing their associated audio)
•    Elephant should no longer flicker
•    Resolved an issue causing certain bricks to be rendered invisible
•    Resolved an issue where resetting to skydive whilst in the werewolf’s superjump context would cause the player to lose control of the active character

If your download hasn’t started, or if you’re unsure, then you can force it by right clicking on the game in your Library and going to Properties. From here, select Local Files and ‘Verify Integrity of Game Cache’. The download will then begin if you don’t already have it.

We look forward to hearing what you all think! Meanwhile, I need to go and let a few guys out for some fresh air and tidy up their cages desks. Have fun!

Thanks,
The LEGO Worlds Team

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update 3 announced!

Hello one and all, it’s that time again: Update Announcement O’Clock! So without further ado, here are some of the upcoming features in Update 3!

Quest System Improvements
Several Characters now also have quests AFTER they’re unlocked. This will allow us to author more interesting quests down the line and even allow for us to create random events that occur within the worlds. Perhaps you’ll find some spooky goings-on?

Updated Skybox
A huge overhaul to the skybox system shows off much improved visuals during both day and night and sees a vast improvement to the natural lighting. From the warm glow of sunrise, through to the twinkling starry nights, your world looks drastically more alive. And fear not, the improved lighting is actually more efficient than the previous setup, so performance won’t suffer because of it.

Vehicle Camera Fixes
We’ve improved the vehicle physics and sharpened up the camera while you’re in vehicles. The controls still remain the same for now – with options to come a little later – but these changes mean the vehicles now handle more like you’d expect when using WASD.

Fixtures and Fittings
Does your house have a noticeable breeze/blizzard/volcanic burn running through it? Not sure we can do much about the last one without some industrial air conditioning, but for the rest there is now a selection of working doors and windows in the Brick Building tool! Time to renovate your existing models and make some new ones too! We’ll add more to future updates, and we certainly haven’t forgotten about other bricks – see the notes below.

More Varied Item Discoveries
Tied in to the quest system, some item discoveries now make more sense. For example, we recently unearthed the shocking revelation that apples are actually found on trees rather than in chests as previously thought, so you’ll have to find a suitable tree and give it a whack. There are a number of other examples, but we’re not telling you all of them, that’s your job to figure out.

Picture Album
Remember those pictures you took with the camera? Now you don’t need to go foraging for them on your computer, you can view and delete them on the front end.

Items Backpack
We’re adding a very simple but much quicker way to get to your items. Like many of you, we feel it’s important for gameplay that we don’t keep them embedded in the menus any longer, especially now they’re becoming more fun and useful. 

Minimap Update
We’ve added a nice little feature to the minimap. If you click on it (mouse & keyboard only for now), you will be given a 3D overview of the areas in the world you’ve visited, similar to the preview when you choose your world on the front end. It’s great for tracking progress and finding your bearings!

Content
There are several new characters (which are SPOOKILY relevant to the time of year), vehicles and props available to discover and unlock too. Make sure to consult with other players to see where they can be found – some of them are really quite rare!

When?
We’ve now entered our pre-rollout push for these new features in which we’re just taking a bit of time to make sure everything is working as intended without any side-effects, so we’ll be sure to let you know once the update is live. It does mean that (as usual) we can’t give a firm date, but hopefully not too long!

What’s Next?
However, that’s not all that we want to share with you. We’re also keen to share some additional plans with you all that we’re looking to include in Update 4, and well beyond. We’ll provide a more detailed ‘Stuff we’re working on’ thread here sometime soon to go into more detail, but we’d like to give you a rundown on some of the features that are still in development so that you’re able to see where our focus lies. In no particular order:

• Further camerawork improvements.
• More Bricks – you’ll be pleased to hear that we’ve have had tests up and running, but we need to resolve the side effects which will take a bit of time.
• Quests – More quest types and variety, including creative quests and further improvements to the adventure ones. And, better quest rewards – studs are cool for now, but we want players to be surprised or feel a sense of progress, or maybe both at the same time, so we’ll share more on this soon.
• Ongoing work on a system that supports towns and other structured layouts.
• GUI & input improvements – categorisation in the tools, better controller support, remapping options and so on.
• More Build tools – we’re looking at the best ways to quickly build walls, and you guys have given us heaps of other ideas and inspiration too.
• Multiplayer – both local (split screen) and online.
• AI & behaviour improvements, including underwater creatures, creatures of flight, more interesting NPCs, better fighting for players that crave action and so on.
• Ongoing landscape generation improvements – not just new biomes but improved use of water, more structural variety and of course all without compromising performance – the tricky part!
• Better integration of the character customiser.

As you can see, there’s lots to do, and the aim is to really kick on with our discussions with you guys once the dust has settled from the next update. This will include some new Dev Diaries, Tutorial Videos, Demo Videos, Build Challenges, etc. We’re also trying to find a moment where we’re all sat together to potentially do some sort of Q&A/AMA, so keep an eye out for that.

As always, feel free to discuss your thoughts here, and we’ll be sure to answer what and where we can! And once again, we want to thank everyone for their continued responses and feedback! It’s been very fun reading and watching everyone’s various comments and videos!

Many thanks,
The LEGO Worlds Team

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update 4 has been announced!

Highlights:

• Split-screen multiplayer
  • Moar bricks
  • "A fun new item to help bring colour into the world." (???)
  • "An explosive new prop to play with." (EXPLOSIVE ACTION)
  • "More additional quests." (I love  the word choice. The Redundant Department of Redundancy called earlier on the telephone not too long ago.)
  • "Improvements to Brick Building controls, especially on controllers." :D Maybe Alcom's complaining worked?
  • "A proper way to put items away." Hmmm..

More details and full release notes will come when the update is shipped.

Of course, no announcement is complete without an LUser and/or "That's not what I expected would be in this update!!!!" crashing the announcement.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.