LEGO Worlds News And Discussion

Ayliffe

​"Thanks to jamesster for the news."

Kinda ironic how you're posting on RRU a link to a blog of which all the information was provided by you... l405G.jpg

Warning: Excessive cynicism. l405G.jpg

I'm not hyped for this. I was interested in Lego Dimensions, but they turned that into a money-making venture and it doesn't even have a PC port (probably because it'd be hacked really easily l405G.jpg). And it's TT. I've made one too many rants on the subject of TT games, but I shall dump this here: clicky clicky. I'm not so interested in the combat system, something which TT has repeatedly failed at over the years, but of the glitches. LI was fun because it glitched, didn't have any automatic killboxes, but didn't crash. LTH (Lego The Hobbit) wasn't fun because it glitched, had automatic killboxes, and more than its far share of crashed. (It crashes on the TT INTRO CUTSCENE. How is that possible?!)

Furthermore, what's WB got to do with anything here? My only guess is they're here for a) the money-laundering (like LD), b) licensed figures, or c), both. As much as I would like option B, I suspect it's C. Alas, Lego IMAO has been pushing its licensed themes too far and being unable to create anything much that's new. What else would WB be doing in this/

Also, why is everybody drawing similarities to Lego Creator and saying "Ooh goody, a modern version?" I don't want a game with OP dynamite that destroys THE GROUND (baseplates) and everything you've done! I don't want a game that refuses to run on the holy grail of old Lego game OS's: XP. I don't want a game that corrupts saved level files (cough, LC:KK, cough)!

Now you'll say "Oh, but this'll fix those bugs: it's a new release!" Uh uh. Unfortunately, this is TT. TT likes bugs. TT likes crashing your game in the intro cutscene. TT likes making one level utterly unplayable.

While a full Lego Creator would be something good, I doubt three things:

1) Whether it's feasible. LDD doesn't like large models (okay) and TT goes for "quantity over quality." Or "quantity over bug-free-ness," for that matter.

2) Whether TT would bother doing it. Why create another sandbox game when there's so many classic titles out there on the market? Okay, it's Lego, but if you want to do stuff with Lego nip out to the shop and buy a $10 Lego set. Far easier and better: see next point.

3) Whether the bugginess would be small enough to be playable. Going to point #2, a Lego set out of the shop won't crash and delete your save files, won't corrupt your wallpaper on doing so (unlike LTH which got rid of my desktop background), won't have functions that don't work as intended (unless you get something with flick missiles), won't have things that are just utterly boring but necessary to proceed... and so on. My review on LTH covered most of them, and LLoTR wasn't any better except it crashed slightly less of the time.

(Yes, I know Bionicle Heroes is a TT game I've laudated, but the reason for it being a good game was a) it wasn't licensed and b) the devs needed to get only 7 characters playable, enabling them to spend more time on enemy models and more importantly, worlds and enemy behaviour.)

That said, I'm not going to ignore this completely: I will watch to see if this is the game to redeem all other TT games, but in my mind that probability is ridiculously low and it'll be absolutely buggy. (Remind me, when was the last time TT released a bug patch- oh wait, they never did).

~~~~ This has been your daily rant for the day, proudly brought to you by Grammar-Nazis Inc. ~~~~

EDIT: YOU WILL SHOW TILDES WHEN I WANT YOU TO YOU SILLY EDITOR

Edited by aidenpons
  • Like 1

*prof's opinion*

about being reused basicly not only do they reuse dna but they've stolen ideas from various parts of the classic lego games let me explain

studs are stolen from lixs

power bricks rip are a stolen idea of lego island

gold bricks are a stolen idea of lr2

free play is a stolen idea from legoland

4609129583.png

> IXS doesn't have studs as collectibles. 

> Worlds doesn't have any power bricks that we know of (and LI only had one, which isn't accessible to the player)

> There have been gold bricks in quite a few of the old lego games, and nearly all of the games since 2005.

> Nearly every lego game, old and new, has some kind of free play. Heck, most games in general have free play.

> How exactly can Lego 'steal' an idea from themselves?​

• Like 3

1) Furthermore, what's WB got to do with anything here? My only guess is they're here for a) the money-laundering (like LD), b) licensed figures, or c), both. As much as I would like option B, I suspect it's C. Alas, Lego IMAO has been pushing its licensed themes too far and being unable to create anything much that's new. What else would WB be doing in this?

2) Also, why is everybody drawing similarities to Lego Creator and saying "Ooh goody, a modern version?" I don't want a game with OP dynamite that destroys THE GROUND (baseplates) and everything you've done!

3) Remind me, when was the last time TT released a bug patch- oh wait, they never did

1) Or maybe because WB owns TT Games? From TTGames.com:

TT Games was acquired by Warner Bros. in 2007. The company is proud to continue its mission to be the leading publisher of interactive entertainment for young gamers and their families as part of Time Warner Inc, and to develop exciting new content for children with TT Animation.

2) Who said they would add that? When we say it may be a modern LEGO Creator, we refer to the concept of an open-world, sandbox video game with possibly (ideally) interaction, not game-specific mechanics. We have not had such a sandbox game (and LDD is not a game (oh wait)) and that is what we are excited about.

3) Correction: LEGO Star Wars II received a v1.1 patch. Therefore on a technicality TT Games has released a bug patch, but the general point you made still stands.

Edited by le717

Seaborgium

Also, why is everybody drawing similarities to Lego Creator and saying "Ooh goody, a modern version?" I don't want a game with OP dynamite that destroys THE GROUND (baseplates) and everything you've done! I don't want a game that refuses to run on the holy grail of old Lego game OS's: XP. I don't want a game that corrupts saved level files (cough, LC:KK, cough)!

What you seem to be saying is that people think "oh this is just like Creator, this will be great!". I don't believe anyone thinks that this will be a repeat of Creator. People are comparing this to Creator in that it appears to be a and box style Lego game.

No one thinks there will be overly powerful dynamite(which I happened to love) or that the game won't run on XP or that the game will corrupt saves. The reason Creator had those problems(except for the dynamite) was not because of design but because it was programmed on a much simpler system a decade-and-a-half ago.

When people compare it to Creator, they think "Lego, for all the poor memory space and simpler systems sixteen years ago put a lot of effort into making a sandbox game? Imagine how cool it would be if they did that now with modern computers awesome capabilities!"   

Sixteen years ago, Lego tried to make a sandbox game. Such a game(at least aimed at small(ish) children) was revolutionary. Imagine just how awesome a Lego sandbox game would be now.

Also, Creator was great fun. I loved making robots and spaceships(which you could FLY!) and dynamite turrets. I really don't understand the bile you have towards it.

(Yes, I know Bionicle Heroes is a TT game I've laudated, but the reason for it being a good game was a) it wasn't licensed and b) the devs needed to get only 7 characters playable, enabling them to spend more time on enemy models and more importantly, worlds and enemy behaviour.)

"Laudated"? What pray tell does "laudated" mean? Did you mean "lauded"? Because I checked the OED online version and "laudated" ain't a word, sonny-boy. Now take off that fancy "Grammar-Nazi" badge.

• Like 1

What you seem to be saying is that people think "oh this is just like Creator, this will be great!". I don't believe anyone thinks that this will be a repeat of Creator. People are comparing this to Creator in that it appears to be a sand box style Lego game.

No one thinks there will be overly powerful dynamite(which I happened to love) or that the game won't run on XP or that the game will corrupt saves. The reason Creator had those problems(except for the dynamite) was not because of design but because it was programmed on a much simpler system a decade-and-a-half ago.

When people compare it to Creator, they think "Lego, for all the poor memory space and simpler systems sixteen years ago put a lot of effort into making a sandbox game? Imagine how cool it would be if they did that now with modern computers awesome capabilities!"   

Sixteen years ago, Lego tried to make a sandbox game. Such a game(at least aimed at small(ish) children) was revolutionary. Imagine just how awesome a Lego sandbox game would be now.

Also, Creator was great fun. I loved making robots and spaceships(which you could FLY!) and dynamite turrets. I really don't understand the bile you have towards it.

"Laudated"? What pray tell does "laudated" mean? Did you mean "lauded"? Because I checked the OED online version and "laudated" ain't a word, sonny-boy. Now take off that fancy "Grammar-Nazi" badge.

​*puts coals on fire* l405G.jpg

1) Furthermore, what's WB got to do with anything here? My only guess is they're here for a) the money-laundering (like LD), b) licensed figures, or c), both. As much as I would like option B, I suspect it's C. Alas, Lego IMAO has been pushing its licensed themes too far and being unable to create anything much that's new. What else would WB be doing in this?

2) Also, why is everybody drawing similarities to Lego Creator and saying "Ooh goody, a modern version?" I don't want a game with OP dynamite that destroys THE GROUND (baseplates) and everything you've done!

3) Remind me, when was the last time TT released a bug patch- oh wait, they never did

1) Or maybe because WB owns TT Games? From TTGames.com:

TT Games was acquired by Warner Bros. in 2007. The company is proud to continue its mission to be the leading publisher of interactive entertainment for young gamers and their families as part of Time Warner Inc, and to develop exciting new content for children with TT Animation.

2) Who said they would add that? When we say it may be a modern LEGO Creator, we refer to the concept of an open-world, sandbox video game with possibly (ideally) interaction, not game-specific mechanics. We have not had such a sandbox game (and LDD is not a game (oh wait)) and that is what we are excited about.

3) Correction: LEGO Star Wars II received a v1.1 patch. Therefore on a technicality TT Games has released a bug patch, but the general point you made still stands.

​*pushes air on fire up to Max* l405G.jpg

Okay, I'd like to say that I never played the original Lego Creator, because as I said before, it refused to run on my machine. However, LC:KK worked... well, up to a point, which is where I get the save glitches from.

1) Was LC:KK actually a sandbox? All you could do was place objects that had functions: yes, you could make your own but there was some form of limit IIRC. It might not have been a physical limit as in "x bricks only," but there's only so much you can do with an awkward interface.

My problem is that having actual Lego bricks gives you a lot more freedom. LC:KK didn't have any form of SNOT (I think) and it certainly didn't have any form of SNIR. With real Lego bricks, I've been able to poke bricks into positions where they're more than a trifle unstable.

That said, sandbox games like Minecraft are popular. But what Minecraft focuses on has a considerable amount of combat. It's not just finding bricks and building, it's holding the fort. Take Terraria too, which has even more of a focus on combat. Good grief, out of all the late-end drops only one form of wood is actually usable for building!

Whereas Lego... IRL form can't really provide much "combat." Yes you can break things apart, but there's no feeling of "oh no all the stuff I have is going to be lost" because there's nothing to take it from you: there is no "opposition" to speak of. You've only got two hands and there's only so much you can do with those (okay, you might be able to get somewhere with your feet l405G.jpg )

That's why I feel that a Lego sandbox game is going to require a considerable amount of devotion to its interface and how it's going to pan out.

Which I haven't seen from TT games. I'll be blunt and say that if TT wasn't developing this, I'd be considerably more interested. I've said enough on TT's bugs which I'm sure I don't need to repeat. l405G.jpg

(This next bit reads like answers to questions/statements, which it is l405G.jpg)

Also, some of us pay considerable homage to the past. l405G.jpg

And I am honestly surprised to find that Lego Star Wars II had a patch. "Shocked" might even be a better word.

WB bought out TT?... Why did nobody tell me this? D:l405G.jpg That explains a fair bit about TT constantly doing licensed games as well...

MaelstromIslander

That explains a fair bit about TT constantly doing licensed games as well...

Especially when those licensed games are WB movies (at least some of them)

And I am honestly surprised to find that Lego Star Wars II had a patch. "Shocked" might even be a better word.

I was as well after dealing with the glitchy nightmare that is the DS version.

LimeKiller

Yes you can break things apart, but there's no feeling of "oh no all the stuff I have is going to be lost" because there's nothing to take it from you

Clearly you have never built anything of substantial height with LEGO. Gravity is a jerk.

MaelstromIslander

Yes you can break things apart, but there's no feeling of "oh no all the stuff I have is going to be lost" because there's nothing to take it from you

Clearly you have never built anything of substantial height with LEGO. Gravity is a jerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GE7QYc9HfM

Also, when you build that with Mega Bloks, the the brick explosions get to it before gravity does.

Edited by MaelstromIslander

REVEALED! AVAILABLE ON STEAM EARLY ACCESS! LOOKS AMAZING! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EDIT: Product description from here:

EXPLORE. DISCOVER. CREATE.

LEGO® Worlds is an open environment of procedurally-generated Worlds made entirely of LEGO bricks which you can freely manipulate and dynamically populate with LEGO models. Create anything you can imagine one brick at a time, or use large-scale landscaping tools to create vast mountain ranges and dot your world with tropical islands.  Drop in prefabricated structures to build and customize any world to your liking.  Explore using helicopters, dragons, motorbikes or even gorillas and unlock treasures that enhance your gameplay.  Watch your creations come to life through characters and creatures that interact with you and each other in unexpected ways.  In LEGO Worlds, anything is possible!  

LEGO® Worlds is currently in Early Access, so be sure to keep coming back for news on updates and plans for future development, as well as discussions with the people behind the scenes. You can also find out more information at www.LEGOWorlds.com.  

Explore and Discover the Surprises within LEGO® Worlds 

• Uncover hidden treasures in environments that range from the fun to the fantastical 

• Make your worlds come to life with customizable characters, both friendly and fearsome 

• Race, soar, zoom, and ride on a variety of vehicles and creatures from diggers and helicopters to horses and dragons 

Create and Customize your own LEGO World

• Build any world you can imagine using the brick-by-brick editor tool and prefabricated LEGO structures 

• Modify terrain quickly and easily with the multi-tool. 

• Customize your characters in a wide variety of outfits and options. 

• Play with a select number of real-life LEGO sets, taken from the Classic and current LEGO themes! 

• Export your creations and save them to use again.  

Expand your LEGO World

• Share and play in your friends’ worlds 

• More content, features, and new LEGO play sets to be added in future updates. 

EDIT 2: The trailer is up on youtube! Embedded below:

Edited by Ayliffe
  • Like 2

This game looks too good to be real. Where is the catch? It's only 15 bucks here too.

But that's just the cynic in me talking. I'm super excited for this!

well

sure was a lot of buildup to that game release

Stuff we'll have once the full game is out around 2016:

 Like/Dislike system for tailoring World Generation

 Procedurally Generated Underground Cave Networks

 LEGO ID integration to allow for sharing and uploading of in-game builds

 Additional Biomes

 Painting Themes

 Pre-Generated Towns/Villages/Settlements relevant to the Biome

 Updated AI Behaviors to provide organic feeling to free-roaming creatures and characters

 Red Brick Extras

 Full liquid behaviors

 Additional Minifigure Characters and Creatures

 Additional Vehicles and Pre-Built Models

 Additional Weapons

 Cut/Copy/Paste chunks of landscape

 Underwater Gameplay (including Vehicles, Creatures and additional sea life)

 Character Customizer

 Online Multiplayer”

Online multiplayer, guys.

Edited by Pereki

Oboe Shoes

Actually looks rather impressive. I was really pleased with Lego City and Batman 3, so I'm not going to dismiss it on the basis of being yet another TT game, and I think I'll give it a shot.

REVEALED! AVAILABLE ON STEAM EARLY ACCESS! LOOKS AMAZING! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EDIT: Product description from here:

EXPLORE. DISCOVER. CREATE.

LEGO® Worlds is an open environment of procedurally-generated Worlds made entirely of LEGO bricks which you can freely manipulate and dynamically populate with LEGO models. Create anything you can imagine one brick at a time, or use large-scale landscaping tools to create vast mountain ranges and dot your world with tropical islands.  Drop in prefabricated structures to build and customize any world to your liking.  Explore using helicopters, dragons, motorbikes or even gorillas and unlock treasures that enhance your gameplay.  Watch your creations come to life through characters and creatures that interact with you and each other in unexpected ways.  In LEGO Worlds, anything is possible!  

LEGO® Worlds is currently in Early Access, so be sure to keep coming back for news on updates and plans for future development, as well as discussions with the people behind the scenes. You can also find out more information at www.LEGOWorlds.com.  

Explore and Discover the Surprises within LEGO® Worlds 

• Uncover hidden treasures in environments that range from the fun to the fantastical 

• Make your worlds come to life with customizable characters, both friendly and fearsome 

• Race, soar, zoom, and ride on a variety of vehicles and creatures from diggers and helicopters to horses and dragons 

Create and Customize your own LEGO World

• Build any world you can imagine using the brick-by-brick editor tool and prefabricated LEGO structures 

• Modify terrain quickly and easily with the multi-tool. 

• Customize your characters in a wide variety of outfits and options. 

• Play with a select number of real-life LEGO sets, taken from the Classic and current LEGO themes! 

• Export your creations and save them to use again.  

Expand your LEGO World

• Share and play in your friends’ worlds 

• More content, features, and new LEGO play sets to be added in future updates. 

EDIT 2: The trailer is up on youtube! Embedded below:

​THIS IS EVEN BETTER THAN I EXPECTED. THIS IS BETTER THAN LEGO UNIVERSE!!!

I like how there is a bunch of people on RRU who insta-buyed. Including me.

​I wonder if $15 will be the price when the game is ready for mainstream release, because that is an insanely good price for this sort of game.

I really like this game. The brickbuild system is a bit laggy sometimes and driving in a car feels not really how it should but overall the game works very well for a beta game! Can't wait how it evolves over the time :D

BTW, I couldn't find a NDA or something anywhere. Does this mean that we can just upload images/videos from the game?

I really like this game. The brickbuild system is a bit laggy sometimes and driving in a car feels not really how it should but overall the game works very well for a beta game! Can't wait how it evolves over the time :D

BTW, I couldn't find a NDA or something anywhere. Does this mean that we can just upload images/videos from the game?

​There's no NDA for Early Access. Upload as you please.

Fluffy Cupcake

They said it would get more expensive over time, so I would go for it now, instead of waiting.

​Two words. Steam sales.

They said it would get more expensive over time, so I would go for it now, instead of waiting.

​Two words. Steam sales.

​Maybe I should consider getting a Steam account...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.