Your Favourite Stories

Jimbob

Here's a difficult task. Pick your all-time favourite story in each of the below categories. You absolutely cannot choose or mention a second/tied place, you must choose one to outrank them all. If you can, please provide a short reason why and a small image too.

The categories are: Book (including comics), Game, Movie, TV and Physical Game (Dungeons and Dragons, etc.).

You do not have to give an answer for each category and you may also choose a series if you wish, e.g. if you thought Star Wars was the best (ongoing? We shall see) saga, you can choose the entire line of movies. I'd be very interested to hear everyone's choices.

Book - Batman

Admittedly I haven't ready many books/comics. However, I have read a fair few of the Batman comic series, particularly those featuring artwork from Jim Lee, so I would have to choose that as my favourite. Unlike many other superheroes, Batman predominantly features villains who gained their "superpowers" through supposedly scientifically-possible means, rather than inherently being supernatural, including Batman himself achieving his position through training and wealth, and this is a large factor in me liking this above other comics which I have little interest in. Plus Batman is Batman.

Batman_0605.jpg

Game - Mass Effect (Series)

What an incredible series of games with a powerful story that puts you in the centre. While the gameplay may be difficult - to the point of being almost unbearable at times - in the first game, it has a vast improvement in the second and is neatly polished in the third. But that's not the topic here. The story is so vast and enthralling, I'm sure I needn't explain it to anyone that has played it. The aliens are diverse intricate and the characters have rich backgrounds that are a joy to explore. If you haven't played this game - do it.

bioware-the_team_1600x732_marked.jpg

Yikes, this was a tricky one. I had five contenders for top place, but in the end it had to be Avatar. Perhaps I was as equally stunned by the visuals as I was the story, but regardless I was sucked into this film after seeing it in 3D at the cinema more than any other. I don't know why though - it's blue aliens with tails attacking humans in some whacky world. But there's something about Jake Sully's adventure through the world of Pandora and the Na'vi culture, almost finding himself as a new man, that stuck with me. Futhermore, the environment born from James Cameron's mind is so rich and colourful too, and the subversion of your typical "good humans versus evil aliens" is marvellous.

TV - Firefly

I have too much to say about this show to put into writing here, so here's a brief summary: an incredible cast that breathed life into a range of wonderful characters; a sci-fi future universe devoid of aliens, featuring humanity as its own villain; episodic stories that drawn you in and bring on such thrilling emotions; and a couple of intriguing underlying themes that are finally concluded in the film. Firefly may be difficult for some people to get into at first, but if you endure the first couple of episodes I can almost guarantee that you will absolutely thank me for it. There is no other universally-approachable and highly-engrossing story I can recommend more than Firefly.

firefly-cast-science-channel.jpg

Physical Game -  Warhammer 40,000

This story is mentioned somewhat regrettably, actually, as while the universe is huuuge, the company behind it is one of the biggest hairy butts known to mankind. They never used to be, but I won't get into that. Warhammer 40,000 is set, as its name suggests, around the year 40,000. Specifically, players create and recreate the countless billions of events that occurred leading up to the year 40,000. There are so many races, some of which are inspired by other franchises, that every player has at least one they can engage with. And that's the sorry side of it - this hobby is incredibly expensive, but the story is so marvellous that once you're in it can be difficult to get out. Perhaps controversially to this topic's point, I'd recommend that if you aren't into Warhammer 40,000, you don't get into it. At least until Games Workshop reforms a lot.

fall_of_damnos_by_majesticchicken-d3iuw5

MaelstromIslander

Book Series:

Jim Spaceborn. Why you may ask? Because it has Blacktron and Classic Space pitted against eachother. The characters are well done, they actually took time to do SOME character development on Jim, and honestly the story is pretty good IMHO. Frank Madisen also broke the rules of LEGO Minifigures by making his own breed, which interests me even more. He stayed loyal to the spaceman color's meaning (Red is pilot, white is explorer, blue is security/command, yellow is scientist, and black is spy) and I love the artwork.

Game Series:

I'm usually not that engaged with most games but i'd say Assassin's Creed, because i can actually go on massacres and kill all the redcoats unlike LEGO Racers' imperial grand prix. I like the story (well, not a lot of it, the apple of eden crap is strange and i fail to understand it) and I love how theres a new character every game. I only own Black Flags, Liberation, and III, but i'm hoping to get the rest. I also like the gameplay, and how some enemies actually give a challenge unlike TT Games. The ship mechanics are amazing in AC4:BF, and theres nothing i like more than ship battles (i've always loved ship battles, especially when its stormy).

Movie:

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie. It was clever, it was funny, and overall a very, very good movie. Dennis was very well done as a serious character, and fit as a deadly enemy. Every time I watch the movie and its over, i have this strange crave for more of the movie and when the credits roll i say "W-What? Its over?" and go into a five minute depression until i don't really care anymore. Plankton wasn't doing something goofy, and this time he actually obtained the recipe, and as most people say, plankton was a "Monster" in the movie, considering he sent out a mercenary to kill Spongebob and Patrick, and his attempt to kill Mr. Krabs. I could go on and on as I'm a Spongebob Fan but I'm just going to say this is my favorite movie of all time.

TV:

Spongebob Squarepants. What, did you expect me to have watched the movie but HAVEN'T watched the TV show like Ayliffe? Anyway, Spongebob's first season was very funny. Pizza Delivery was hilarious, Jellyfish was one of the episodes where Patrick gets his funny kick (FIRMLY GRASP IT!), and theres so much more on Season One that will make you laugh as hard as the executives who first saw Help Wanted and couldn't stop laughing. Season 2 introduced Your Shoes Untied which is the famed episode of Patrick wearing shoes on his hands. Something Smells was one of the greatest laughing stocks, and featured the famous "DEUAGUAGHAGUHGAU" scene. One of the parts where if you pause at the bathroom part spongebob's face looks like a mass murderer's. Season 2 was very well done, and I even own a box set of all the Season 2 episodes. Season 3, the final "Good" season, has lots of episodes with my reaction of "Ehh... Uhm... Err..." but they do still have some gems in the bag of manure. Spongebob's recent seasons have been downhill recently, especially the horrible Spongebob Movie 2: Sponge out of Water, but with the return of Hillenburg in Season 10 it might be able to go uphill again.

Physical Game:

Uhhh... I don't have any Physical Games that are very interesting... Ehhh... I dunno.

My favourite amongst all is Galidor.

...Apologies, someone had to go there...

Edited by Ben24x7

Fluffy Cupcake
...Apologies, someone had to go there...

​Or not. You can just let the subject die instead of reviving it. This is why we can't have nice things, people think the unfunny is funny.

The Ace Railgun

Hmm...this is a toughy, I think if I hade to pick, it'd be something like this.

Animation - Fate/Zero: The Fate series is a story about a war between magicians who summon servants to fight for the Holy Grail, the ultimate omnipotent, which granting device. Various servants include Alexander the Great, King Arthur, Gilgamesh, and Lancelot.

Live Action TV - Stargate Universe:  This was more of an episodic TV series, that had single episode to triple episode story arcs, and some of them were really good. With my favorite being the episode Darkness.

Movie (Anilmated) - The Place Promised In our early days: a film about war, dreams, alternate realities, and an enormous tower that appeares in the middle of Japan, these ideas are very subtle, and you can miss them if you aren't paying attention to the story.

Movie (Live Action) - Hundred Foot Journey: This film is about a man from the east who moves to France, where his father opens up a restaurant, and where he learns to become a master chef.

Books - The Young Wizards Series: This was the wizarding series way before Harry Potter, and I think what got me hooked on it, was how the Wizards communicated with organic and non-organic beings. My favorite scene would probably be when Kit (one of the Wizards) is trying to talk his TV remote into connecting with the TV.

Edited by The Ace Railgun

Book: Catcher in the Rye. The themes in the book resonated really strongly with me, which is kind of funny considering how unlike Holden I am.

Game: Mata Nui. Good art direction, full of character, but most importantly a deliciously rich story with surprisingly well-developed characters.

Movie: The LEGO Movie. It refuses to take itself seriously. We need more of that.

TV: My Little Pony, for basically the same reason as Mata Nui above.

Physical Game: Not much of a board gamer, here. I collect the BIONICLE Quest for the Masks trading card game, so I'll go with that. It's far from being actually good considering all the games out there, though.

Book series: Discworld. RIP Sir Pterry.

Video Game: The Mega Man series. This also counts for favorite comic.

Movie: Ooooh... this is a hard one. I have no idea.

TV Series: Gravity Falls for animated, Person of Interest for live action.

Physical Game: I dunno, Jenga? Rack-o? Sorry? Clue! Gotta like clue. I'll go with Clue.

Jim Spaceborn. Why you may ask? Because it has Blacktron and Classic Space pitted against eachother.

​Small correction: there is no Blacktron in those books. Blacktron wasn't even a thing yet. The bad guys are just generic black-suited spacemen.

• Like 1

Seaborgium

Book: hardly original, but I rather love the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. It is essentially fantasy in its original best form. I also love the original Redwall. The sequels took a steady downhill trajectory after about the fifth book, but the original was wonderful.

Game: Ultima V, or perhaps Beyond Zork.

Movie: Not sure.

Play: Julius Caeser

TV: Doctor Who Season 16, the Key to Time. I loved it when I first watched it in 2003 (I think), and it still is my favorite season of Doctor Who, and of any show really.

MaelstromIslander

Jim Spaceborn. Why you may ask? Because it has Blacktron and Classic Space pitted against eachother.

​Small correction: there is no Blacktron in those books. Blacktron wasn't even a thing yet. The bad guys are just generic black-suited spacemen.

Yes they aren't, but they're the predecessor. Frank Madisen (if i spelled that right) came up with the idea of Kazak's Army, and my guess is LEGO got on the bandwagon and made a theme for it, Blacktron. This makes sense, because if you look at The Unknown Galaxy the vehicles look just like Blacktron vehicles. (as well as the colorscheme)

Sadie Meowsalot

Yes they aren't, but they're the predecessor. Frank Madisen (if i spelled that right) came up with the idea of Kazak's Army, and my guess is LEGO got on the bandwagon and made a theme for it, Blacktron. This makes sense, because if you look at The Unknown Galaxy the vehicles look just like Blacktron vehicles. (as well as the colorscheme)

​Apologies in advance for going off-topic, but I just want to point out that unless an official source confirms the theorized link between Kazak and his troops in Jim Spaceborn: The Unknown Galaxy and the initial series of Blacktron, it remains merely that, a theory.

• Like 2

lol username

​No. Kazak's troops and their design were part of the story Frank Madsen received from LEGO in 1984 (which was also the year black and blue classic spacemen were released; Frank said as far as he knew Kazak's men were just variants of those). Blacktron wasn't released until 1987, and Frank had no knowledge of it until its release (the only time he remembers being given any info on upcoming sets/themes was in 1987, when he was given an early look at the Futuron monorail for use in an unreleased mini-comic).

• Like 2

MaelstromIslander

​No. Kazak's troops and their design were part of the story Frank Madsen received from LEGO in 1984 (which was also the year black and blue classic spacemen were released; Frank said as far as he knew Kazak's men were just variants of those). Blacktron wasn't released until 1987, and Frank had no knowledge of it until its release (the only time he remembers being given any info on upcoming sets/themes was in 1987, when he was given an early look at the Futuron monorail for use in an unreleased mini-comic).

​Then that means LEGO made the concept of Kazak's Army, gave it to Madsen, LEGO then used it later on to make the blacktron theme, thats what you're saying, right?

By the way, i just realized this topic is going off the rails. We should focus on the real purpose of this topic.

​ Apologies in advance for going off-topic, but I just want to point out that unless an official source confirms the theorized link between Kazak and his troops in Jim Spaceborn: The Unknown Galaxy and the initial series of Blacktron, it remains merely that, a theory.

​Thank you. I should've pointed that out, sometimes i make theories to the point where i believe in them when in reality they're wrong (I.E. Governor Broadside being the Bluecoat Governor in Pirates 2015)

Edited by MaelstromIslander

McJobless

My first rule was to eliminate any documentaries or non-fiction content. That made it much harder. Normally I don't choose favourites, so I picked the ones that at the current moment I think have the best stories. I'm sure in a few weeks I'll want to change the list.

Book - Animal Farm - A beautiful satire/criticism of communism, written and read like a children's fairytale. Read it back in 2008/2009, and it has influenced my writing ever since.

Video Game - Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition - Only recently played this game, and I came to understand the depth and complexity of the plot and how relevant it is to our current situation. The freedom of gameplay is also superb, especially for its era.

Movie - Brazil - An underrated classic that takes visual communication to a whole new level. Brazil might just be the way our lives are heading.

TV Show - Game of Thrones (only because I haven't watched House of Cards in a few months) - A deeply political series that remains interesting because of the show's strong inter-personal relationships.

Edited by McJobless
...all of my spolier was upside down...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.