Lego Racers on Mac & Wineskin not working; GImages.idb missing

Nyte

Hi folks,

I've been trying to install Lego Racers on my Mac using Wine, Wineskin and Crossover.

With all three, I've failed.

I've had the most success with Wineskin, by adding the -novideo flag and changing the winecfg version to Windows 98. However, when I run the installer now, I get an error that reads:

I/O error occurred
file GImages.idb
File not found

This occurs after my screen goes black followed by a few white rectangles appearing.

I'm at a loss for what to do to solve this and have tried various google searches to no avail.

Anyone any ideas as to what I can do?

Many thanks,

Nyte

Hi folks,

I've been trying to install Lego Racers on my Mac

I think that's your problem. That'll be ten dollars. :P

But on a serious note, as a Mac user myself, the only other solution you could try (I'm not saying it might work) is to get VMWare Fusion and run Windows from that. But since I don't know if Lego Racers is compatible with emulated Windows 7 then trying to get LR running on VMWare Fusion is a bit of a risk, especially if Lego Racers still doesn't work.

Hi folks,

I've been trying to install Lego Racers on my Mac

I think that's your problem. That'll be ten dollars. :P

But on a serious note, as a Mac user myself, the only other solution you could try (I'm not saying it might work) is to get VMWare Fusion and run Windows from that. But since I don't know if Lego Racers is compatible with emulated Windows 7 then trying to get LR running on VMWare Fusion is a bit of a risk, especially if Lego Racers still doesn't work.

Oh, that old chestnut haha. If I had a dollar for every time someone's told me that in reply to an issue, I could...

well, I could probably give you those ten dollars?

Thanks for your suggestion, but people seem to be able to run it using wine (see here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9757&iTestingId=80153) and I'm not sure why I can't.

If anyone had the file GImages.idb from a successful install they could find and send me, that might help?

Just a thought, since I had problems with a dll file that, once I had it, eliminated that error.

grappigegovert

GImages.idb is a file located inside LEGO.JAM, so it's weird that you get that error during the installation.
You could try manually extracting data1.cab from the cd with i5comp/i6comp.

On 4/15/2015 at 1:12 AM, grappigegovert said:

GImages.idb is a file located inside LEGO.JAM, so it's weird that you get that error during the installation.

You could try manually extracting data1.cab from the cd with i5comp/i6comp.

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately, I'm not trying to install from a CD (lost mine some time ago), and I don't know where I might find data1.cab nor what i5comp and i6comp are. Would you mind shedding some light on it for me? Sorry haha

grappigegovert

From where are you trying to install the game then?
Data1.cab is an archive which contains all the data used by the game installer, and i5comp is a program to extract that file. (i6comp is just a different version of i5comp, I'm not sure which one you need for LR)

JrMasterModelBuilder

I was successful in running LEGO Racers on OS X in the past, on versions that did not have the SafeDisc DRM. I didn't use a 3rd-party wrapper, I built Wine from source using osxwinebuilder, but Wineskin seemed pretty solid when last I used it. Setting the compatibility to Windows 98 was definitely a must.

I believe I was also able to run LEGO Racers in a Windows XP VM in VirtualBox. I would be surprised if VMware Fusion cannot run it as well.

I'm not sure that GImages.idb is necessarily missing.  I got the same message when I tried to run the game with an uncompiled JAM archive (not knowing which version of the game I had).  I think that's probably the first file that LEGOracers.exe looks for inside LEGO.JAM, and if there's a problem with reading the JAM archive, that's the first error the game will encounter.  So I don't think that having a new copy of GImages.idb will help, nor does your problem really have anything to do with that file in particular; I think the game is simply unable to read files from the JAM for whatever reason.  

I tried doing so, never was very successful, I'll keep watching this, I'll also be looking for possible solutions for ya. :)

• Cyrem changed the title to Lego Racers on Mac & Wineskin not working; GImages.idb missing

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.