Help needed: How to view maps

RocketRacer

RocketRacer

I'm currently working on a project where I'm recreating some parts of certain maps and I need a better way to view the maps. Is there a way to explore the map better (maybe with some 'no clip' or 'ghost' hack or something of the sorts) or has anyone ever found a way to open the map files on other software?

Side note: Any one knows how to window mode the game without the 16 bit monitor trick?

Thanks!

RocketRacer

If you can work without looking at the textures and only the shape of the track model, you can do that with: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>> (LEGO.JAM file extraction required)

As for doing what you want WITH textures, there is no way currently.

For running without 16-bit. I don't think that is possible.

I dont need the textures, actually just the basic 3d view is enough! Thanks alot, I think that will do just fine :D

Now I just need to get the game working on my second monitor (hence why I need window mode)

has anyone ever found a way to open the map files on other software?

Do you mean the tracks files (3D) or the map images (2D).

I could convert the tracks and or the colliding data in .obj files if you are interested in them. Or do you prefere another (simple) format?

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake
I could convert the tracks and or the colliding data in .obj files if you are interested in them.

I'd love that. :D

ProfessorBrickkeeper

I could convert the tracks and or the colliding data in .obj files if you are interested in them. Or do you prefere another (simple) format?

Oooo. I think I speak on behalf of RRU when I say that we would be quite interested in any attempt you make at a tool for importing/exporting/converting the LR1 track models. Personally, however, I would suggest you look into another formats such as COLLADA (.dae) which can support not just basic geometry, but also the vertex colors LR1 uses to fake lighting, and UV texture mapping of multiple textures, should your program preserve them.

• Like 1

RocketRacer

has anyone ever found a way to open the map files on other software?

Do you mean the tracks files (3D) or the map images (2D).

I would really love those .obj files :D

Btw, the project I'm working on is an inspired recreation of some parts of the maps using Unreal Editor 2.0

Fluffy Cupcake

I would really love those .obj files :D

I personally agree when PB said:

formats such as COLLADA (.dae)

is a better option, even though .dae is starting to not be supported by several well known 3d programs, like Blender (they stopped developing it) and 3ds Max (not even included in latest version).

I think I speak on behalf of RRU when I say that we would be quite interested in any attempt you make at a tool for importing/exporting/converting the LR1 track models.

I can imagin that. Exporting/converting is one thing. Currently I have no tool for that. I do it with unit tests. But it should be easy to put a exe around. But Importing. That is another level. It is not done with creating the track. You will also need a matching .bvb and .dbd file and so on.

Personally, however, I would suggest you look into another formats such as COLLADA (.dae) which can support not just basic geometry, but also the vertex colors LR1 uses to fake lighting, and UV texture mapping of multiple textures, should your program preserve them.

.dae file creation once passed my way. I did not like that. I created a file like that from the docu but blender did not open it. Than I exported a .dae file with blender and used that as reference for my implementation. It worked but looked very different to that one from the docu. So I think it is not easy to implement a tool that can handle .dae files (all possibilities). Are there other formats I could use?

Here are most of the tracks in .obj (no collision files, no colores). RACEC2R3 is missing and the left out the TEST track.

http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/243

I have also generated matching .mtl files. But they are not referenced in the .obj files. So I did not upload them. For now they would be useless.

Currently I am only online for a short time slot once per day. So an update or tool may take some time.

• Like 1

RocketRacer

Here are most of the tracks in .obj (no collision files, no colores). RACEC2R3 is missing and the left out the TEST track.

http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/243

I have also generated matching .mtl files. But they are not referenced in the .obj files. So I did not upload them. For now they would be useless.

Currently I am only online for a short time slot once per day. So an update or tool may take some time.

This is actually very useful for me!

bQSKIZ0.png

• 7 months later...
Fluffy Cupcake

Any chance we can get .objs (or another format) with working materials any time soon?

Fluffy Cupcake

When was it resolved?

Although not all tracks are present ( :( ) and vertex colours are missing, because .obj like you said, yes they mostly do. Aside from some fences being a little messy on IGP, it would be grand if the trees stayed intact on the tracks. :P Although I know these are likely objects which is why they aren't there.

When was it resolved?

I thought here:

This is actually very useful for me!

Anyway.

Although not all tracks are present ( :( ) and vertex colours are missing, because .obj like you said, yes they mostly do. Aside from some fences being a little messy on IGP, it would be grand if the trees stayed intact on the tracks. :P Although I know these are likely objects which is why they aren't there.

Here is a file with all tracks: http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/292

I think the textures all need a global uv-flip. Do you have a better suggestion to share the data (with vertex colours)? I do not like .dae and I do not really know other formats. If you want to have all additional meshes added, I will have to look at the wdb files. Is there a special track, that you are interested in the most?

Fluffy Cupcake

.3ds maybe? (I'm not 100% sure it holds colours, but it is a a somewhat common format.) I don't have any particular track in mind no, maybe Imperial Grand Prix.

Fluffy Cupcake

I think I recall reading that topic on the fly (hence my post), and because I'm a doofus I somehow forgot of its existence afterwards.
Thank you!

Just passing through, thought I'd re-mention this I did a while ago, I guess working proof of grappiegovert's GDB to PLY converter and the vertex colours.

Although, all the texturing is manual and I don't really have time or technical expertise to automate it.

I ended up using .dae files, if I remember correctly that format can hold references to the textures too?

EDIT: Ok now I've had time to browse the forums some more this probably wasn't useful. I didn't know there was a track editor tool?! Awesome.

Edited by celynwalters
Premature post
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.