LEGO Stunt Rally development artwork

k-g

lol username

Hahahaha, oh man. I don't know what I was expecting but that's hilarious. xD

Poliwhirl, Pikachu and Meowth! :D

That's actually some nice drawing.

Why did you draw Pokemon faces on them anyway?

You mean you don't draw Pokemon on your fruit?

"Playable by fruit" has surpassed "cow car" and "testercall" as most hilarious things done by LEGO game devs. Stunt Rally really has made its place in history.

The orange test... Wow, I wouldn't be surprised if that became another one of RRU's memes.

EDIT: It's now part of my member title for the time being. :D

• Like 2

MaelstromIslander

Cows and oranges! They're everywhere![/bOB]

I would pass the orange test myself but i don't have stunt rally. Also if mega hurtz got beaten by an orange then my only reply is "wow".

Sorry hurtz, you lack the citris acid to beat the orange test!

k-g, thanks for sharing! That really is a nice to read story.

The orange reminds me of two things:

1. the annoying orange on youtube
  2. the pumpkin car in LEGO Harry Potter (I believe it was reused in another game)

Once we figure out Stunt Rally's model format, I'm totally modding an orange back into the game.

WHAT, we do not know yet? I should have a look in that.

lol username

WHAT, we do not know yet? I should have a look in that.

Will had a good amount of it figured out (he posted some wireframe renders on skype) but not yet enough to do any sort of modding. Maybe check in with him to get what he has so far?

Fluffy Cupcake

"Playable by fruit" has surpassed "cow car" and "testercall" as most hilarious things done by LEGO game devs

Which game is testercall from? I must of missed it somewhere.

I still think the cow car is just as good as the fruit (perhaps because I've never played or watched a Pokemon which is what the faces were, making me indifferent?), but lets keep the beef talk down. Right now it's the fruit's time to shine!

While I've never played Stunt Rally, the development stuff you've been showing k-g has been quite interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Shadowblaze

I still think the cow car is just as good as the fruit

Is there any history behind the cow, or is it just an easter egg? Because if so, then the orange is better.

I've never played or watched a Pokemon which is what the faces were

You've never seen Poliwhirl, Pikachu or Meowth? That seems unlikely.

MaelstromIslander

I've seen pikachu (Seriously who doesn't know who pikachu is) But i kind of had a hard time trying to notice the face on the orange is his. I have no idea who meowth or poliwhirl (then again i don't know a lot about pokemon names or characters.)

oh i also made a poster:

gallery_8961_436_18242.png

• Like 3

Fluffy Cupcake

You've never seen Poliwhirl, Pikachu or Meowth? That seems unlikely.

You better believe it. And to top it off I have people on another forum talk about Pokemon here and there all the time. I just ignore the conversation. :P

Cow history? I can't say there is one we know.

Which game is testercall from? I must of missed it somewhere.

LRR. It does the same thing as -testlevels, and is still in the game.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I never thought I'd see something like this! The amount of old developers posting here is staggering.

I know this was a while ago, but obviously the yellow truck is based on the set 2148 - I take that was a change on the part of Lego themselves. So the default vehicles aren't the only ones from real sets. The Baron's hot rod seems to be inspired by set 6538 Rebel Roadster, only bigger.

Edited by Ostoya

lol username

Very nice. I imagine those may come in handy for anybody trying to re-create these cars.

By the way, what ever happened to the PlayStation version of the game? How far in development did it get?

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, sorry for the long absence.

@jamesster: The short version of the story is that IG didn't have the manpower in house to do both the PC and PlayStation version. We started working on both simultaneously, but after some time progress on the PS version fell behind, and the job of creating that version was given to another studio (I don't recall which studio). The screenshots that surfaced are from that version, so that studio got further than IG did on the PS version, but I don't know any more than that.

@JHUYSER: If I recall correctly, LEGO media just sent us a crate with LEGO (we also had some from the development of Loco). I don't recall seeing any specific LEGO sets (other than the prototype sets they sent us to include in the game). 

lol username

Haha, the way the sticker is cut out for Lucky's face on the prototype minifigure is a bit unnerving.

Thanks for all the pictures!

• lol username pinned this topic
  • lol username featured this topic
  • lol username unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...
ProfessorBrickkeeper

@k-g That is a lot of awesome stuff, the sort of stuff which makes doing research into classic LEGO games worth the effort. The hand-drawn stuff and some of the high-quality original textures are particularly cool!

• lol username featured this topic
lol username

Wow, great stuff here, and lots of it. Thanks for digging all this up! :D Really cool to see how ideas were explored and solidified.

• lol username unfeatured, featured, unpinned, pinned and unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.