LEGO Stunt Rally development artwork

k-g

MaelstromIslander

The original name and logo we whipped up for the pitch. The game kept the name for much of the development period.

Thats not too bad of a name. Why'd they change it though? It seems perfectly fine to me.

lol username

This is great stuff, thanks for sharing!

I especially like the sketches. It'd be fun to try building those vehicle concepts with real LEGO, or as close as you can get with real pieces.

I'm pretty sure everybody loved the punk guy - he was one of my favorite minifigures in LOCO, and when I finally got Stunt Rally I was glad to see him there too. I am slightly disappointed that the final game doesn't have a skeleton opponent though - everything's better with skeletons. :P

Looking forward to whatever else you have! :D

Oh man, these are incredible :D Thank you for sharing.

It's really great to see how a game shape, but it's even better to take a look at some of the developer in-jokes during the game's development. Sid having an empty manners bar got me chuckling :D

It's always fun to look at old development stuff from games. I like seeing how the game was planned and compare it to how it actually came out. Thanks for sharing. :)

MaelstromIslander
On 18/03/2015 at 2:40 AM, jamesster said:
I am slightly disappointed that the final game doesn't have a skeleton opponent though - everything's better with skeletons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rwxs1gH9w

On 18/03/2015 at 8:34 AM, rioforce said:
It's always fun to look at old development stuff from games. I like seeing how the game was planned and compare it to how it actually came out.

Me as well.

Still though, thanks for sharing. We'd love to see some more artwork. Theres nothing i love more than early development content.

@Pereki: No, I'd never seen the punk minifig, but you're right, his design was probably inspired by "our" punk.

@MaelstromIslander: The name change came from LEGO, and I don't recall the reason they wanted to change it.

@Jamesster: Yeah, I don't know why we didn't put Eamon the skeleton (I seem to recall all the skeletons in Loco were called Eamon?) in LSR... 

MaelstromIslander

8804_1to1_Rocker.JPG

Yo dawg, we heard you like punks, so we put punks in yo punk so you can punk while you punk, you punk.

On serious terms, he looks exactly like Sid. Only that theres a slightly different shirt illustration, and the hair design is different. Plus, Brickimedia says that he IS based on Sid Vacant.

So the answer is yes, the minifigure is based on him.

The name change came from LEGO, and I don't recall the reason they wanted to change it.

So LEGO wanted it to be Stunt Rally? Hm. I thought it was one of the developers who decided to change it.

It actually stinks how there isn't many LOCO people in the game. We could've had Eamon! And maybe we could've had the Super Station Master too! And maybe even more stuff! And maybe even more stuff on that stuff! With even more stuff on that stuff on that stuff!

(Saying "Stuff" sounds weird to me now)

These are some awesome pieces of dev artwork k-g, thank you so much for taking the time to dig these up! It's interesting to see how the game evolved from its first pitch.

It actually stinks how there isn't many LOCO people in the game. We could've had Eamon! And maybe we could've had the Super Station Master too! And maybe even more stuff! And maybe even more stuff on that stuff! With even more stuff on that stuff on that stuff!

Well hey, this is a modding community, why don't we mod them in?

MaelstromIslander

These are some awesome pieces of dev artwork k-g, thank you so much for taking the time to dig these up! It's interesting to see how the game evolved from its first pitch.

Well hey, this is a modding community, why don't we mod them in?

Huh, why didn't I think of that?

Well, one of the problems there is, i don't have LEGO Stunt Rally, and even if i did, i wouldn't know how to mod it.

lol username

@Jamesster: Yeah, I don't know why we didn't put Eamon the skeleton (I seem to recall all the skeletons in Loco were called Eamon?) in LSR...

Haha, yeah - nearly every skeleton was indeed named Eamon.

MaelstromIslander, you seem a bit... Uh, oddly passionate about wanting more characters in a game you don't own... :P

If you wanted to mod things, I'd expect the trickiest bit would be to create new pre-rendered videos for the character victory screens, their taunts, etc, without them looking out of place along side all the other pre-rendered videos. I personally wouldn't deem it worth the effort, as there aren't any existing characters I'd want to replace. I'd rather make custom track piece models, once we figure out the model format.

MaelstromIslander

MaelstromIslander, you seem a bit... Uh, oddly passionate about wanting more characters in a game you don't own...

I could get Stunt Rally, you know, so even though i don't own it now, i could own it later on in time. Like how i got LEGO Island.

lol username
On 19/03/2015 at 3:16 AM, MaelstromIslander said:

MaelstromIslander, you seem a bit... Uh, oddly passionate about wanting more characters in a game you don't own...

I could get Stunt Rally, you know, so even though i don't own it now, i could own it later on in time. Like how i got LEGO Island.

I recommend you do, the track builder is pretty cool. I suppose we're getting a bit off topic now, but you like the UFO sets right? One of them is in the game:

Nice little touch there, whoever modeled that. :)

MaelstromIslander

I recommend you do, the track builder is pretty cool. I suppose we're getting a bit off topic now, but you like the UFO sets right? One of them is in the game:

-snip-

Nice little touch there, whoever modeled that. :)

Oh wow, that is pretty cool. However i don't have UFO sets (Even though i want Alpha Draconis really badly) that is still a nice touch.

Anyway, back on topic.

I hope he has some Radium artwork. He's my favorite character in Stunt Rally.

Now that I think of it, I have a few of questions, would you know the answers k-g?

1. Were there plans to make the player-created multiplayer maps larger in size, like singleplayer maps? I imagine that maybe it was reduced to accommodate computers with lower processing ability?
  2. What themes did you have in mind for the game at first, or were they always going to be the City, Desert, Jungle and Arctic themes?
  3. A couple of your images show a fan and a magnet not seen in the final game. Were there any other obstacles that didn't make the final cut?
  4. Did you build physical LEGO models of your in-game elements such as cars, scenery, etc? 

lol username

Were there plans to make the player-created multiplayer maps larger in size, like singleplayer maps? I imagine that maybe it was reduced to accommodate computers with lower processing ability?

I can't answer for him, but I'd guess they're smaller so the camera can always keep all four player cars in view at one time. If the multiplayer maps were larger, it'd have to zoom out farther and it'd be a bit hard to tell what's going on.

Looks good! I'm curious why the player could be only playing as 4 characters, while the game featured a lot more characters. Why not unlockable characters? But I understand it partly, A new character adds nothing to the game, while unlocking a new car or track-parts to race on are more interesting. Would that be the reason?

O.T.
Hey I'm a silver member now. This is my 50th post. cool!!

Who says Sid Vacant ?

Also some times ago I did his car, it was my prefered (But I didn"t have good colors ^^):

Anyway when I was youger I played a lot with LEGOs and LEGO PC games, Loco (with a minifig !), stunt rally, rock raiders and creator.... so thanks you for this game !

(Sorry for my mistakes, I'm French)

14283789838164_photo0043.jpg16016540965722_photo011.jpg

@JimbobJeffers: 

1) Jamesster answered that one correctly. :)

2) As far as I remember, the themes never changed. Although perhaps a bit cliched, they were a good fit for the various toy themes.

3) These images were made really, really early. The whole "stunt" angle hadn't even been developed yet. The fan and magnet were just the first ideas we had. The fan made it in, but of course blowing upwards instead of sideways.

4) Yes, stay tuned. :)

@kajeuter: More playable characters would've meant creating many more in-car camera animations. I think for this reason we chose not to make all the characters playable.

@jojo337: Nice model! 

• Like 7

lol username

Did you build physical LEGO models of your in-game elements such as cars, scenery, etc?

4) Yes, stay tuned. :)

Oooh, this is gonna be good. :D

@kajeuter: More playable characters would've meant creating many more in-car camera animations. I think for this reason we chose not to make all the characters playable.

Thanks for the anwser. I'm looking forward to see more artwork.

kaitodaimon

I would truly appreciate it if you would take your time to answer these questions, k-g.

Do you happen by any chance know how to open the mdf and XBF files found in Stunt Rally?

Do you know if the audio were created digitially through a software, or recorded?

In the contract your group created with LEGO, do you remember who got the copyright for the files? The development group, LEGO, or the distributors?

If you would create a LEGO game today, what would that include?

Do you happen by any chance know how to open the mdf and XBF files found in Stunt Rally?

Since he was an artist and not a programmer I would guess not. However, I made some progress on these a while ago, I'll revisit it when I'm not drowning in university work.

Do you know if the audio were created digitially through a software, or recorded?

Almost certainly digital - the saxophones in the desert race music sound very midi.

@kaitodaimon:

1) Sorry, I don't know how to open those files, if they can even be opened. 

2) I don't think the music is synthesized in-game, if that is what you meant. Though I could be wrong.

3) I never saw the original contract, though in nearly all games from a large publisher the publisher will own all the copyrights, including the source code. So it's safe to assume LEGO owns everything.

4) Wow - that's a pretty open question. I like the skylanders concept - I think it would be truly awesome if you could build something with real LEGO, scan it in & then play with it in a large open world on your PC or console.

(Note: Sorry, I'll be away for a week, and therefore won't be able to post any art this coming week).

• Like 2

• lol username pinned this topic
  • lol username featured this topic
  • lol username unfeatured this topic
  • lol username unfeatured, featured, unpinned, pinned and unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.