Xiron's 3D LEGO Island Comics

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

What's this? An IXS comic? Why yes!

I kid you not, this comic took me the whole day to make (not exaggerating), and I scripted it out yesterday. The posing, render times, the figuring out how to do X thing in program, writing out the text in a way that was readable and distinguishable, it does chew away quite a lot of time all this. So, don't expect me to pull out a comic every few days, likely only every once in a while.

Edit: On average it takes me 12 hours to make a regular sized comic.

Pepper's Driving Test

This comic takes place before Pepper got his license in the game, evidently.*

9764923d3c736b59c1caaf7d8732ab30-d8lrp6w

*I may change Nick's font. Do you have any suggestions for a font?

• Like 2

I think the fonts are okay, but I'll try and ask my brother (who practically has a PhD in fonts :P) for suggestions.

I love the comic - great punchline at the end and the aesthetics work really well. I look forward to the next issue!

I got that one without the explanation. 10% of the game is loading screens. It probably took Papa two and a half hours to make that pizaz.

lol username

It'd be funnier if you didn't end the comic by explaining the joke (well, actually, it doesn't even explain it, and is thus pointless). The funny part of the comic is the visual gag with the pizza sign/CD/loading screen, not stating the fact that it took/will take a long time (which should have been done in, say, the second panel, to set up the joke in the first place). I'd say the panel specifying the mechanical noises and the ! over his head was unnecessary clutter too. As for the first comic, I don't even. Thus, I'm suspending your joke license and officially declaring this topic as unfunny until these problems are corrected. Make me laugh, boy.

And fix dem vertex normals. Geez, it's almost like these comics were just made for fun by a fan or something.

• Like 1

[5:39:10 PM] Segatendo: You can move my comics topic to member projects (or wherever) if that is the decision of the one-way discussion in the PM.

Per Xiron, this comic has left Early Access.

Edit: You're still Segatendo for me on Skype, I should fix that.

Fluffy Cupcake

1. It'd be funnier if you didn't end the comic by explaining the joke (well, actually, it doesn't even explain it, and is thus pointless).

2. The funny part of the comic is the visual gag with the pizza sign/CD/loading screen, not stating the fact that it took/will take a long time (which should have been done in, say, the second panel, to set up the joke in the first place).

3. I'd say the panel specifying the mechanical noises and the ! over his head was unnecessary clutter too.

4. As for the first comic, I don't even. Thus, I'm suspending your joke license and officially declaring this topic as unfunny until these problems are corrected. Make me laugh, boy.

5. And fix dem vertex normals. Geez, it's almost like these comics were just made for fun by a fan or something.

1. Well it was moreso for those that haven't played the second game. Anyway, as per various comments, I removed it.

2. I'll do a bit of modifying on that. Expect changes later. Edit: Updated.

3. The point of that panel was that it started rotating all of a sudden, and the director wasn't expecting it. Perhaps I can remove the pink text though.

4. Well that's good that you don't even, no need to suspend my license over it though. :(

5. But... I am a fan, and I am doing it for the fun of it. :P I see what you are getting at though.

10% of the game is loading screens.

I think you under estimate the loadings.

Per Sega, this comic has left Early Access.

For the newbies, Segatendo was I.

Fluffy Cupcake

Pepper The Car Thief

Click to see at full scale

3c2cfad23358f6a44284313da44f92d6-d8noaha

This week's comic was based off something le717 said to me.

Me: My RRU avatar has a secret meaning behind it. [My avatar was Panel #6 from Comic #1 without any text]*

le717: Nick is getting onto Pepper for willfully stealing the police car

le717: You should make this the topic of your next comic. :P

If you have any ideas for comics throw them my way! I may just do it!

That is, if I don't have any ideas of my own I want to do first. =P

Alright, so I'm a little late this week. The reason this is late is because after jamesster's comment on poor vertex normals (which I agree, but I did manage to improve!), I became so obsessed with improving shading, that I burnt myself out and had no motivation to work on the comic during the weekend at all. It was only earlier today (one hour left of Sunday for me now) that I encouraged myself to continue on with my current goal of one comic a week.

My one little nit-pick about the comic this week is that I should of had Pepper's arms down in the final panel, but I think it works decently as it is now anyhow.

Here is an unused panel 2. Originally the current 4th panel didn't exist, so there was room for one more panel of Pepper running.

Panel_2.png

How about Gill Sans for Nick's text?

Link?

How about, for a suggestion for a strip, that Mama tries to teach Pepper how to play the piano?

As for the Gill Sans font, I take it you don't have it, so my suggestion of the font doesn't matter.

Yay, another funny and thought-provoking comic. :P I'm sure another pizza as a bribe should sort things out.

Link?

From Wikipedia: "It is distributed with iOS and Mac OS X and bundled with some Microsoft software as Gill Sans MT. More unusual weights, such as condensed, schoolbook and shadowed versions, can be licensed from Monotype." So if you don't have it you'll have to buy it.

But what about Back Issues as a font? In fact that whole website is for free comic fonts it seems.

Also, "I before E except after C" (you wrote "theif" in the title).

Link?

From Wikipedia: "It is distributed with iOS and Mac OS X and bundled with some Microsoft software as Gill Sans MT. More unusual weights, such as condensed, schoolbook and shadowed versions, can be licensed from Monotype." So if you don't have it you'll have to buy it.

Which is odd, because the latest version of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, etc for Windows 7 (at least, I think it does) should have it...

TrussROBLOX

Haha, nice! I always wanted to do something like this (or at least game screenshots made into a comic, not sure if that's what you did). Now that I see yours, I want to do it for LEGO Island but that would be copying and plus I'm too lazy.  :whistle:

Fluffy Cupcake

Which is odd, because the latest version of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, etc for Windows 7 (at least, I think it does) should have it...

Which I don't have any of those installed, nor am I using Win 7. :P

Haha, nice! I always wanted to do something like this (or at least game screenshots made into a comic, not sure if that's what you did). Now that I see yours, I want to do it for LEGO Island but that would be copying and plus I'm too lazy.  :whistle:

>Nope, these were not taken in game. As unfortunate as it is, I only have access to Island 2 and Xtreme Stunts models (via ripping), I can't use things from the first Island game because it is too old to be ripped from (>although there is my WIP Island model). I wouldn't recommend using in-game game screenshots anyway, because you will be limited in many things.

Fluffy Cupcake

Ever wondered how you can see in the tunnels/caves without any proper lights, or at the very least, where the lights we can see come from? Well this week we get to find that out.

Light In The Dark

Larger version here

The guy in blue is a guest to the island.*

76d194c8a630a013bd95bad4cfe3d9a1-d8omexw

Well I don't know what you were expecting, but LEGO does revolve largely around imagination. =P

Here are close ups of what is going on in the background of panels 9 and 15.

Panel 9
gallery_426_517_1472236.png

Oh Pepper, why do you constantly harass the sheep? :|

Panel 15
gallery_426_517_352839.png

Green or Red brick, what do you choose?

• Like 3

The Info's hat is slightly bigger than it should be...

...what if thats how he plans to conqour Lego Island in the next game!?

LEGO ISLAND 4 CONFIRMED

Don't believe that LEGO ISLAND 4 is confirmed?
Here, have an Official Poster;

FmCYysK.jpg

...Oh, nice strip by the way.

Fluffy Cupcake

On panel 15, Is it just me, or does it look like Infomaniac's hands ARE the 'Red Green Bricks'?

Did you look at the pics after the comic? Yes? No? Well it should answer your question.

@Ben: Nice pic. :P

Edit: I couldn't actually tell that was info's hat from mobile. It's even better now that I know it is that. xP

The Info's hat is slightly bigger than it should be...

I didn't do no scaling on it...

I like how The Infomaniac is so fast that he is instantly starting a conversation with Mrs. Post once the blondie blue guy is assisted.

O.T.
"Ha got here first" -Infomaniac

Fluffy Cupcake

I like how almost all the comments so far have been about The Infomaniac.

Infomaniac: The Show Stealer, coming soon to a screen near you. Not only does he steal the attention in games, but comics too!

• Like 3

Fluffy Cupcake

Is it just me or is there someone stuck to the ceiling of the tunnel in panels 13 and 14?

That would be Superman Station Master.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.