Let's Make a Game

Jimbob

MaelstromIslander

I'll begin working on a loop track tonight and see what I can come up with.

I'm sure we'd all love to see what you'd come up with. You make some pretty good music.

Here's the mountain background, grass particles, flowers, sky background, and vignette if you want to go ahead and put them in the game:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

I'm going to be working on some terrain stuff later, not sure exactly what I'm going to do quite yet, so the mountains may or may not be used in the end.

Too bad there isn't going to be more than one level, because i'd love one where you get to go into the mountains.

Drill Master

You make some pretty good music.

Thanks! :)

Okay. So here is my first idea. Simply called "RRU Game 1", it is a track composed with the GameBoy in mind. That means it uses sounds similar to what you would hear in a game from that time. I figured since we're making a game and all, why not start from there, then work up if requested. See what you think. Mind you this is a rough track, as it hasn't been fine tuned yet. It's merely what I have so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtIb7mE7EFI&feature=youtu.be

Now, I have no problem if you want me to render it as a full instrumental track, like my current music. Heck, I could go back further and render it using sounds from the Commodore 64 if you wanted me to. I can do that. :P

Thoughts?

Fluffy Cupcake

Thoughts?

I'm not a huge fan on gameboy type music, to be honest...  the sounds just irritate me. The tune sounds fine otherwise.

(and yes I still did give your music a partial listen anyway)

MaelstromIslander

Thoughts?

I think its pretty good IMO, nice melody. And i think it would fit well with the level designs due to its "happy"-ish sound.

Here's the mountain background, grass particles, flowers, sky background, and vignette if you want to go ahead and put them in the game:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

I'm going to be working on some terrain stuff later, not sure exactly what I'm going to do quite yet, so the mountains may or may not be used in the end.

Thanks rio, that's brilliant! I'm not sure if you plan on making a ground, but whatever the case I'll probably draw up a temporary one when I make the first level of the game.

Too bad there isn't going to be more than one level, because i'd love one where you get to go into the mountains.

What I said was that we should focus on making just one level, and not have any expectations to go any further. That way when we do achieve this small goal we can all be extremely proud of what we've accomplished, no matter how little it may be in contrast to the big games out there. And once that's done, if people are still up for it, there's no reason why we can't move onto a second level!

Okay. So here is my first idea. Simply called "RRU Game 1", it is a track composed with the GameBoy in mind. That means it uses sounds similar to what you would hear in a game from that time. I figured since we're making a game and all, why not start from there, then work up if requested. See what you think. Mind you this is a rough track, as it hasn't been fine tuned yet. It's merely what I have so far.

-snip-

Now, I have no problem if you want me to render it as a full instrumental track, like my current music. Heck, I could go back further and render it using sounds from the Commodore 64 if you wanted me to. I can do that. :P

Thoughts?

I like it, it's a very nice little looping tune! As for the instruments, if you're able to use modern ones that would be excellent and we can compare the two (the visuals are modern in contrast to old 8-bit games, so it may be more suitable). Also are you able to send me this track (or the new one if you change the instruments) as an MP3 file?

Awesome work everyone, truly. Once I have the music and sound effects sorted, I'll get to work putting together the level. On that note - Xiron, are you able to find some sounds any time soon? If not that's absolutely fine, rioforce offered to help or I could grab some myself, but if you can that's great. :)

• Like 2

Drill Master
Also are you able to send me this track (or the new one if you change the instruments) as an MP3 file?

Not a problem. I'll get to work on a modern sound for that track now. 

EDIT: Maybe this would work better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX7iEnShLi4&feature=youtu.be

I kept the original sounds in as a background, and added modern sounds up front.

Excellent redesign of the tune DM, I definitely think it's a lot better now. :D Having the old loop in the background is a cool idea, but it kind of sounds like fuzz to me? Like it's all a bass line that's distorted. I don't know, maybe I'm not hearing it right.

• Like 1

Drill Master

Ok so here's another video. The first segment has the original loop base line in it, and the second segment has it removed with the new base line alone. Both moving lines of both loops are still present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpkz4dxDmLs&feature=youtu.be

See which one you prefer.

Oooh that's pretty tough. I think if it's okay with you though I'd rather go with the new loop (without the old 8-bit track in the background)? But the 8-bit does provide a nice backing, it's just a little too different from the quality of the new track for me.

Could you send me the MP3/whatever file format you prefer? I'll have to convert it to MP3 at 128kbps or less if you haven't already but that's not a problem.

Updated, version 0002 is out! Check out the first post to play it, it may take some time to appear as I haven't made a preloader yet.

Now the game has visuals, the player can be idle, there are sound effects (I took these from freesfx, it's full of free commercially-usable sfx), DM's music is in the background, and there's a new font. Next I'll be adding jump functionality, Mael's enemies and the trampoline.

• Like 3

MaelstromIslander

I see my animations for the coins still haven't been added... :|

Anyway, i like where this is going. Maybe soon my boombas can be added :P

someswedish

Its nice to see that things are progressing well :)

I Might be able to help with some artsy stuff, but for the moment i don't know what i can help with.

i mostly specialize in drawing characters, but i suppose i can also draw small items (such as power ups, coins, icons etc.) and maybe some background details (like flowers, rocks and the likes).

Keep in mind I'm going to be very busy from with education soon, so i might not have as much time to contribute with this project, but i'll try to put some effort if you can find something for me to work on.

That's awesome. You made those flowers actually look good! I did notice a looping issue on the mountains. I'll have to fix that. How did you do the ground? Is it one long image? I like the way the ground looks, but I was thinking of adding a bit of texture and smoothness to it. EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. ;)

However, the font in the corner reminds me too much of LEGO Island 2. Maybe a font like Rancho would match the style more.

I see my animations for the coins still haven't been added... :|

Anyway, i like where this is going. Maybe soon my boombas can be added :P

I will get there, it just takes time. Although I may have to exclude the coin animations depending on how much lag it puts on older PC, we'll see. :) Yep, your enemies are up next!

Its nice to see that things are progressing well :)

I Might be able to help with some artsy stuff, but for the moment i don't know what i can help with.

i mostly specialize in drawing characters, but i suppose i can also draw small items (such as power ups, coins, icons etc.) and maybe some background details (like flowers, rocks and the likes).

Keep in mind I'm going to be very busy from with education soon, so i might not have as much time to contribute with this project, but i'll try to put some effort if you can find something for me to work on.

Awesome, thanks for the offer!

That's awesome. You made those flowers actually look good! I did notice a looping issue on the mountains. I'll have to fix that. How did you do the ground? Is it one long image? I like the way the ground looks, but I was thinking of adding a bit of texture and smoothness to it. EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. ;)

However, the font in the corner reminds me too much of LEGO Island 2. Maybe a font like Rancho would match the style more.

Haha, thanks, unfortunately I resized the images in Flash (which doesn't use any decent algorithms) so they're a little pixellated. The ground is just one long image, yes, I drew it very quickly as a placeholder until something decent comes along.

Yeah, that was intentional - I wasn't sure what font to use so bailed and went with an LI2 style. Rancho looks pretty good, I appreciate the recommendation.

Next I'll be adding jump functionality...

Need me to make a pose of the RR for that?

If you can create an animation that would be brilliant. Nothing complex, just a few frames of him moving into a jump, then a single jump pose, and then a few frames going back to the idle pose (I can just reverse the first ones), if that makes sense. If it's too much then a single jump pose would be fine. :thumbsup:

OLoGngy.png

The white writing underneath are just quick animation notes. One thing I'd suggest, if possible, is to loop the two pictures in the "Floating" bit when the character falls/flies/etc.

As for the game's current progress, I finally got around to playing it, and its on a good path from what I see.

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake
there are sound effects (I took these from freesfx, it's full of free commercially-usable sfx)

Speaking of, would you prefer sounds that can be in commercial? I'm asking because this is a non-profit game, so it doesn't really matter at all, at least not at this point.

However, the font in the corner reminds me too much of LEGO Island 2.

My thought exactly, but that doesn't mean there is a problem with the font. Dafont is always a good place to look for new fonts, anyway.

Great work on those drawings Ben, they're just what I need!

there are sound effects (I took these from freesfx, it's full of free commercially-usable sfx)

Speaking of, would you prefer sounds that can be in commercial? I'm asking because this is a non-profit game, so it doesn't really matter at all, at least not at this point.

I don't mind whether they're free for non-commercial or commercial use, I've just used that site before. So long as the creators of the sounds require nothing more than a link as credit. ;)

Fluffy Cupcake

So long as the creators of the sounds require nothing more than a link as credit. ;)

What if it is like... say, from another © video game though?

So long as the creators of the sounds require nothing more than a link as credit. ;)

What if it is like... say, from another © video game though?

If it comes from another video game, it's probably a copyrighted sound effect and is not royalty free (with the exception of some video games that use public domain sounds).

Yeah, just to be on the safe side I'm looking for sounds that are royalty free.

I've got the jumping programmed, which is a bit harder than it might sound, and have drawn some random environment objects to test it out on (e.g. crate, house) to check that the player can properly move about vertically. Once that's done I'll add the enemies, and we should have a finished prototype!

• Like 2

It is complete. In just 10 days, we have produced a working game from scratch! :D Check it out in the first post (again, it may take a little while to load) to play it.

I have also released the full source code and assets there too, including credits for the sound effects, however to view the code you will need a copy of Adobe Flash Professional - you can download 30-day trials for the non-subscription versions here. In case anyone's concerned, it's legal as they're just trials which lock after the 30 days, hosted on another server.

I'm certainly pleased with how it's turned out. With the exception of the sounds, we produced everything from scratch and already have a functional game which, at least in my opinion, isn't too bad. To everyone who took part, give yourself a pat on the back, and take this free Energy Crystal. We achieved what we set out to achieve, and more!

Let me know if you can find any bugs. Really muck about with it. If you can make the player move off-centre, fall through the floor or something else, please post here including steps to reproduce it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.