Let's Make a Game

Jimbob

rioforce Could you handle the level elements? So perhaps a tileable ground object and a tileable platform to stand on.

Environment elements (like sky, clouds, grass, dirt, etc), right? I'll start drawing up some of those right away. ;)

EDIT: Are you going to have some paralax movement in the enviorment? If so, I'll need to draw some extra elements to work with that (which won't be a problem at all, it might make it easier).

...is it finished?

Eeeeeeh, the frames of the running animation as you've seen are ready, yes, but, apart form an idle pose, what other sequenced pictures/animations do I need to make? Like jumping, ducking, punching, what?

rioforce Could you handle the level elements? So perhaps a tileable ground object and a tileable platform to stand on.

Environment elements (like sky, clouds, grass, dirt, etc), right? I'll start drawing up some of those right away. ;)

EDIT: Are you going to have some paralax movement in the enviorment? If so, I'll need to draw some extra elements to work with that (which won't be a problem at all, it might make it easier).

Yep, you got it. Everything the character walks on, and the environment surrounding them. If you're happy to do a parallax background, go for it!

...is it finished?

Eeeeeeh, the frames of the running animation as you've seen are ready, yes, but, apart form an idle pose, what other sequenced pictures/animations do I need to make? Like jumping, ducking, punching, what?

An idle pose would be good, a jump one would be awesome too but it's not necessary. I think I'll leave it at that for now, I don't want to make this too complex to start with.

MaelstromIslander

I'm unable to make my own animations for the enemies, so Jimbob you might have to do it yourself. I'll go make some images of the enemies with their limbs detached so you can animate them.

Edit: Here you go.

gallery_8961_436_4466.png

gallery_8961_436_5453.png

You wanted a goomba, i gave you a goomba/kirby/subspace soldier. I also gave you a snakeman with a laser gun. I'm pretty satisfied with the coins' shading and lighting. Trampoline... Not so much.

Maelstrom those are some really nice coins! I LOVE the shading on them!

• Like 1

This is just a suggestion as a way the coins could be animated;

SxLCaxu.jpg

1. The coin glints/light goes across the surface of the coin.

2. The coin slowly rises, rotating along the way.

3. The coin drops, loops to 1.

MaelstromIslander

This is just a suggestion as a way the coins could be animated;

SxLCaxu.jpg

1. The coin glints/light goes across the surface of the coin.

2. The coin slowly rises, rotating along the way.

3. The coin drops, loops to 1.

That was basically how i thought they would be animated. Acquiring a coin would make it start to turn transparent, and glide up for a few seconds before turning completely transparent.

That's a cool idea, however it's not something I could animate myself, I'd new Mael to draw its 3D rotation. If you're up for that Mael then great, but otherwise I'm happy with it as a flat 2D image.

MaelstromIslander

That's a cool idea, however it's not something I could animate myself, I'd new Mael to draw its 3D rotation. If you're up for that Mael then great, but otherwise I'm happy with it as a flat 2D image.

I just tried to do the rotation right now; I encountered a lot of issues, like the coin turning lower quality and the numbers going backwards. It'll just have to go up and down for now.

Edit: I'm done.

gallery_8961_436_9179.png

Thanks Mael, I'll get to work adding those new animations in.

For those that didn't see it in the shoutbox, I've put together the current assets into something with basic function. Move left and right with A and D or the arrow keys, the coins will add to your score. Check it out in the first post!

MaelstromIslander

Thanks Mael, I'll get to work adding those new animations in.

For those that didn't see it in the shoutbox, I've put together the current assets into something with basic function. Move left and right with A and D or the arrow keys, the coins will add to your score.

RRU Game

Holy crap, that animation is smooth. Seems ben has more skill with making animation sequences then i do.

Just thought I'd post a bit of concept art I tossed together yesterday using a couple of WIP elements I am working on.

Concept1.jpg

Everything is put together is layers, allowing for a parallax camera movement (where the background moves slower that the foreground). I blurred the background and extreme foreground to simulate a depth of field effect. I also made the greadient sky and a small vignette it give it some style. The grass is not done yet. I just painted that grass on in photoshop, I have yet to create an actual grass texture (I have an idea of how I need to do it, but still need to try it out). The flowers are not done yet.

All feedback is appreciated. :)

• Like 2

That looks really nice, rio!

Everything is put together is layers, allowing for a parallax camera movement (where the background moves slower that the foreground).

Just like Retro gaming, its still clever to this day.

I'm going to go make a Flower Goomba now, so that it fits with the theme. :P

Will it be Green with Red stemmed White Flowers with Glasses and a long torso?

*Joke about Infoperiac*

MaelstromIslander

I'm going to go make a Flower Goomba now, so that it fits with the theme. :P

Will it be Green with Red stemmed White Flowers with Glasses and a long torso?

*Joke about Infoperiac*

I meant to say Boomba, but instead i said goomba. :| Yes, they're called boombas, because they look like bombs. (The red flying one is called a Kaboomba because it has dynamite as its main weapon)

And yes, how could i leave out an infoderpiac reference

Edit: Done.

gallery_8961_436_7408.png

"And, you can change flowers!"

Edit: Done with the infoboombiac.

gallery_8961_436_479.png

It took a long time to make and i still don't like how it turned out.

Idle:

EfbdKGN.png

Sorry to double post, but I noticed something about the game;

When you hold 'A' to go Left, then you hold 'D' the RR will go Right.

BUT

When you hold 'D' to go Right, then you hold 'A' in an attempt to go Left, the RR will keep going Right.

I don't know if its a bug but I don't think the character should even be moving if both direction buttons are held. Maybe, if possible, you could code it so that when the player holds both 'A' and 'D' that the RR stops/stays still?

• Like 3

MaelstromIslander

Idle:

EfbdKGN.png

Sorry to double post, but I noticed something about the game;

When you hold 'A' to go Left, then you hold 'D' the RR will go Right.

BUT

When you hold 'D' to go Right, then you hold 'A' in an attempt to go Left, the RR will keep going Right.

I don't know if its a bug but I don't think the character should even be moving if both direction buttons are held. Maybe, if possible, you could code it so that when the player holds both 'A' and 'D' that the RR stops/stays still?

Finally, we have an idle animation.

And lots of games have it that a certain key is "more powerful" than the other, mostly the keys that make you move. So this isn't new to me.

Edit: I've created new coins, Platinum and Adamantium, and i've also created gems (Emerald: 700, Sapphire: 800, Ruby: 900, Diamond: 1000, Onyx: 10,000)

gallery_8961_436_45874.png

Haha, those flower enemies are great Mael! And the Infoboombiac... Haha. xD Thanks for the new collectables too, Mael.

Nice work on the idle image Ben, I'll insert that into the game. I won't do any more updates until I have more to work with though.

Regarding the Right movement overriding the Left movement, while it isn't uncommon in games (very much Flash games from my experience) it's just a result of lazy coding, and should be easily fixed.

• Like 2

I think I need a little direction regarding the enviornment textures. Should this game be set on earth, the moon, under the earth, or somewhere else? I know my mockup had mountains on it, but I threw it together in a few minutes, so I don't even have to use that. I might change it to be in space or underground so it is easier to make the textures for.

What do you all think?

I'd say go for whatever you want for this first run, I can't clarify enough how basic I'm asking this game to be. It's not even a whole level. And again, if people do wish to continue work on this afterwards, then we can start discussing a unified theme. :)

Just to say, if it was a Cavern setting, it would fit the RR character, but thats not the point of this game, its not to "make each element fit into each other, design wise".

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.