LEGO Mars Mission Crystalien Conflict Song Ripoff?

eagleeyedan

Sooo, I was listening to Pandora today, and this song, Keep Hope Alive by Crystal Method came on. As soon as it started into the tune (about 40 seconds in), I thought "Wait a minute, that's the Mars Mission song! Darn it 4T2, you ripped it off didn't you." Seriously, listen. They're uber similar. (I don't know how to embed the youtube videos into the post so use the links ;) )

Crystal Method - Keep Hope Alive (1997):

• Like 1

LEGO Universe devs had some clips of "Name of the Game" by The Crystal Method used as temporary music. It was never used in any publicly tested areas of the game, but it was found in a beta version's audio assets (along with a song ripped from the Little Big Planet OST).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A12-KN5UijA

Years later, Funcom received a bunch of LU assets to aid in the development of LEGO Minifigures Online, and, well... This happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJBhExJmEbY

• Like 2

While the composer for the Mars Mission theme did probably take a little too much inspiration from that music, the main melody is so simple that he might hit it accidentally. For example the Mt. Itoi music from Mother and the Victory Road music for Pokémon Red and Blue are quite similar, as they're extremely simple. I myself also did go very close to those a bunch of times while working on my musics.

Considering how both songs involve the word "crystal" and this game is about saving them, I think it's more than just a coincidence...

eagleeyedan

Considering how both songs involve the word "crystal" and this game is about saving them, I think it's more than just a coincidence...

Crystal Method is just the name of the band who composed the songs. They're a long-time electronic music act. Their name is play on the drug, Crystal Meth, I doubt there was any correlation between the two ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.