Lego Racers music project

J Reggie

I'm working on a large-scale project involving the music from LR1.  This project has four ultimate goals:

1.  To create note-for-note transcriptions of all of the .TUN files in LR1 (PC version).  These will not be playable on any instrument, but will form the basis for the rest of my work with the music.  I plan on posting these here in case anyone wants to create their own reductions or arrangements.  

2.  To create playable piano reductions for all of the music.  I will be using my own judgement as to what to change or not to include to make these playable.  I can also add fingering suggestions if people so desire.  The reductions will probably end up requiring around an intermediate level of skill to play up to speed, but I'll try not to make them too crazy.  

3.  To arrange all of the music for the instruments it was originally scored for.  This will be both just for the fun of looking at the full score and also in the unlikely event that anyone wants to play any of these songs in a band (if this ever happens, please send me a link to it!)  Note that some of the instruments I will be scoring for are transposing instruments, so it might get a little confusing if you're not used to reading full scores.  This will also help me in my final goal, which is:

4.  To reproduce all of the .TUN files using high-quality samples and synthesizers.  That way, anyone can use the same songs in Lego Racers without the cheesy 90s MIDI samples (nothing against those personally, but it would be nice to have more realistic-sounding music).  

I'm not sure how long this entire project will take, but I will keep you posted on my progress.  If anyone has any of the songs which they would like to have sheet music to sooner rather than later, let me know and I will try to get to them first.

Here are samples of the first three goals for this project, all of Rocket.TUN (the theme from Rocket Racer Run).

Transcription:

Reduction:

Orchestration:

Yes, please!

This is something I've been longing to do for years, but I haven't had the time to transcribe the music nor do I have the high-quality instrumental samples that I desire (I only have access to standard MIDI samples, which would more-or-less render this project redundant if I went through all the work of trying to arrange it for orchestra only to be unable to produce better-quality sound than what is already offered in the game).

I eagerly await to see what comes of this project, and I wish you the best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I now have transcriptions for four more songs.  It's not that much, but I figured I should post an update since I haven't posted anything in a while.

Whip:

Witch:

Magma:

Docks:

Let me know if anyone wants me to upload any other elements of these, such as the audio, Sibelius documents, XML files, PDFs, or anything else.  So far, the audio for these is just played by Sibelius' piano sound.  

As a side note, these songs are so weird!  I never noticed how many crazy things happen in them until I started transcribing them.  I believe they were composed by the main developer of the game, who might not have had that much musical training and mostly just a good ear.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

I imagine I'll have a rather fun weekend ahead playing around with these transcriptions. I have a rather large (okay, that may be an understatement) library of virtual instruments so it might be interesting to try to change the instrumentation of the tracks, export them at a higher sample-rate, and try modding them into the game, like what you are planning on doing.

You mentioned you had some other stuff you may be able to upload- I don't suppose you could try generating some .mid/.midi files of the tracks? It would save me some of the effort of copying your sheet music transcriptions note by note into Logic for use with some of my Kontakt libraries and other plugins.

ProfessorBrickkeeper, I can certainly upload MIDI.  I'll try to get around to it later tonight, when I have some time.  I'll eventually be using (hopefully) the Reason Orkester Soundbank to make the final product, but that's a long way down the road, as I want to get to all of the transcriptions first.  So if you want high quality music sooner rather than later, it's probably a better idea to do it yourself, as you said.  

EDIT:
Here are the download links for the Midi files.  They may be a bit messy, especially with the velocity, since Sibelius seems to respond differently to velocity.  Also note that I changed the octave of certain lines so that notes wouldn't overlap.  It's probably also all in one layer currently.  Let me know if you notice any mistakes; I'm sure I missed some things or got a note wrong here and there, and it would be great to have input so I can make these as accurate as possible.  
http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/236
http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/237
http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/238
http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/239
http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/240

Have fun!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I know I've been inactive for a while, but I haven't given up on this project.  As is the case with many others, finals ate up all my time a few weeks ago, and then I've been travelling ever since.  However, I do have a few things to share.  I've transcribed all of the circuit intros, along with the Build menu theme.  I can upload MIDI files if people want, but I would need some time to create them.  

builder:

large.builder_0001.png.c5f6f3aba1cdb474flarge.builder_0002.png.185a3ce000a5c6e46large.builder_0003.png.2f87616c51c47e5a2

Circuit1: (This one is entirely playable on piano)

large.Circuit1.png.44a38447637b4a9adeb0c

Circuit 2: 

large.Circuit2.png.2feeef7b5737cd0914809

Circuit 3:

large.Circuit3.png.8f62fae7829b9fe7940e0 

Circuit 4: (This one is kind of lame with just the notes, it relies more on the drums and the timbre)

large.Circuit4.png.a8fc1eff98363e62ea9e9 

Circuit 5:

large.Circuit5.png.460ea8eaddb80fdb49c3e

Circuit 6: 

large.Circuit6.png.d1addd246ca951e09942b

RRacer: (The intro to a circuit race against Rocket)

large.RRacer_0001.png.8ff494d5af03457ac1large.RRacer_0002.png.1ce04f4a55ac829ae4 

When I'm finally home for the summer in two weeks, I'll be able to dedicate a lot more time to this, but I hope you enjoy these for now! 

Shadowblaze

I've tried to write a midi for the building theme, and I have noticed you have made a couple errors. I tried to fix them, and changed some things as I didn't like them. Also, I left behind a couple notes. I don't feel like fixing them though. :P

Here's the download for the midi, and a fancy piano version of it: http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/251

Thanks, Shadowblaze!  It's nice to have a second pair of eyes to look at these things; there are so many notes that I'm sure I've missed a few here and there.  I also put a few things in the wrong octave simply because there were too many things going on in the octave where the lines actually were.  I'll keep editing these to try to get the final product as accurate as possible.  

• 6 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.