Sick Bricks

lol username

This popped up in my news alerts today.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-02/19/sick-bricks

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2015/02/15/sick-bricks-lets-play/

http://sickbricks.com/

tl;dr, the first paragraph of the first article:

For starters, it offers an integrated brick-based toy-video-game hybrid ahead of Lego dipping its toe in the water with Minifigures Online and Ultra Agents. It includes upgradeable characters with a Skylanders Swap Force-style mix-and-match mechanic that also brings in toy vehicles as well as heroes. It comes with its own tie-in TV show. It also creates a battling and puzzle experience in the style of a Lego video-game that feels less limited on a tablet that TT Games' smartphone and tablet efforts to date.

I always wondered when other companies/brands would start trying to do the whole "LEGO video game" thing too.

Can't say I'm a fan of the art style or overall aesthetics/theming. It feels like some confused adults went "Uh, kids like gross characters and fart jokes and zombies and ninjas, right? Let's just smash all that together!" At least they summarized it quite well with the name "Sick Bricks".

Well, I now appreciate LEGO's minifigure design, themes, and overall tone a lot more than I did before. What if LEGO hadn't recovered from its downward spiral in the early 2000s, been bought by other companies, and turned into something like this? I'm so, so glad we don't live in a universe where that happened.

Maybe if I watch the Sick Bricks TV show, I'll gain an appreciation for the LEGO Ninjago TV show, too...

"Like I always say, you can never solve your problems with violence!"

*brutally attacks policeman with fire hose*

Honestly the writing is pretty freaking good in that clip, but the voice acting, animation and visual style kind of kill it.

While we're measuring it up to Ninjago, that show looks nice but the characters are flat and unrelatable and the story is unengaging and relies on an ever-growing system of increasingly absurd retcons. Though I have to say that the most recent season was fun to watch, if you just put those issues aside and enjoyed the dynamic between Clouse and Master Chen, and Pythor's reappearance.

Maybe if I watch the Sick Bricks TV show, I'll gain an appreciation for the LEGO Ninjago TV show, too...

Silly jamesster, you don't need to watch Sick Bricks to gain a newfound appreciation for Ninjago.  Just watch Legends of Chima.

Ugh, this whole thing reminds of Garbage Patch Kids... and we all know how well that turned out.  For some reason, some marketing team out there thinks that kids like gross and unappealing stuff (which makes you wonder about the childhoods of said marketing team).  Only this time, it's "recycled IN SPACE LEGOS!" which makes it totally original.

Yes, that instance of "LEGOS" was intentional, because I doubt that the people who made this give two bricks about the difference between a brand name and a noun that can be pluralized.

Quisoves Potoo

For some reason, some marketing team out there thinks that kids like gross and unappealing stuff (which makes you wonder about the childhoods of said marketing team).

Don't most young boys like gross things? I didn't, and you clearly didn't; in fact, I suspect that few of us here did; yet I think such things most definitely have an allure for most pre-pubiscent males, hence "potty-humor" and its prevalence.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.