Help! Windows 8.1 64bit

Pankayk

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is looked down upon, but I went ahead and got a torrent LRR. I decided to give this a try before i went ahead and paid $25.00 for a copy from someone on Amazon and have it not work. I had the .dll file in it and the "data1.cab" file as well. I've tried different things to get it to work and I can't seem to get it to work. In the .iso file, I mounted it on my PC and noticed that there is a folder called "EXE". In there is another LRR.exe file and another "LegoRR.icd" file. I tried to copy both those files and put it in the main folder where the rest of the files are located. I tried to run the LRR.exe in compatibility mode for: Windows Xp Service Pack 3 & 2, and tried to run it in Windows 98 both with the 16-color bit and admin mode. When I run the exe a box pops up giving me the option for either RGB emulation or Direct3D HAL. I've tried both options in full Screen and Window mode. When I try it in the window mode a window pops up and flashes a few times and closes out like its crashed. When I try it in the Full Screen mode, the screen adjusts and flashes a few times and goes back to normal like the application has crashed. So I'm not quite sure what to do.

I've also downloaded the "universal extractor" and I  extracted the "data1.cab" file. When I tried to run the LRR.exe it says that it's not compatible with Windows even though I've tried to run it in compatibility mode with: XP Service Pack 3/2 and Windows 98 and the 16-bit color mode is selected and running it in Admin mode as well. 

So I'm not quite sure what to do and before I throw some money at a legit copy I would like to get this to work to make sure it'll run on my machine.

Here are some screen shots that might have better insight.

Thanks

Well, as far as I'm aware Rock Raiders has a lot of difficulty running on modern machines, particularly Windows 8. Heck, we have 16 pages of problems about it, far more than RRU's other popular games. So that could be your problem straight off the bat.

If you've tried the plethora of "Win8 + LRR = doesn't work" topics we have and it still doesn't work, you could either give a legitimate copy a go or just leave it altogether. I've never pirated a game myself and don't know what files to expect in a torrented copy, so I can't help there.

I know someone who torrented LRR and it appeared to work fine (to a point): certainly the game was playable, so I don't think the game files are an issue.

When I run the exe a box pops up giving me the option for either RGB emulation or Direct3D HAL.

Good, that's what should happen.

What do you mean by this?

flashes a few times and closes out like its crashed

What is the window actually doing? Spamming between black and white, being an idiot with colours, or what?

One question: Are you using Direct3D HAL for the windowed mode option? Yes? No?

If you are, good.

If you aren't, and you're using RGB Emulation, then switch to Direct3D HAL. There is nobody anywhere that I have seen that has got LRR to work by choosing RGB Emulation.

Oh, and do install DirectX from LRR's game folder (the one labelled DirectX l405G.jpg) as it may possibly help.

Well, as far as I'm aware Rock Raiders has a lot of difficulty running on modern machines, particularly Windows 8. Heck, we have 16 pages of problems about it, far more than RRU's other popular games. So that could be your problem straight off the bat.

If you've tried the plethora of "Win8 + LRR = doesn't work" topics we have and it still doesn't work, you could either give a legitimate copy a go or just leave it altogether. I've never pirated a game myself and don't know what files to expect in a torrented copy, so I can't help there.

I normally don't really torrent anything myself except for anime/manga. But I've been really itching to play this and wanted to see if I could get this to work before I shell out money for a legit copy of the game and have it not work.

Pankayk, on 11 Feb 2015 - 6:28 PM, said: When I run the exe a box pops up giving me the option for either RGB emulation or Direct3D HAL. Good, that's what should happen.   What do you mean by this?

I'm not sure what you you're asking here. When I run the .exe file a box comes up; here is the screenshot.

I've tried both "Devices" with both windowed and full screen and still no luck.

Pankayk, on 11 Feb 2015 - 6:28 PM, said: flashes a few times and closes out like its crashed What is the window actually doing? Spamming between black and white, being an idiot with colours, or what?   One question: Are you using Direct3D HAL for the windowed mode option? Yes? No? If you are, good. If you aren't, and you're using RGB Emulation, then switch to Direct3D HAL. There is nobody anywhere that I have seen that has got LRR to work by choosing RGB Emulation.   Oh, and do install DirectX from LRR's game folder (the one labelled DirectX ) as it may possibly help.

So I've made sure that I do have DirectX installed. Doesn't work unfortunately.

The window only comes up when I have selected Direct3D in Window mode. When the window comes up like it's going to run the game, the window is just white for just a quick second and just closes. Some times it will flash between white and black but it just ends up closing. When I've tried Full Screen under Direct3D mode, my screen flickers between a black screen and my desktop. But my desktop is all discorded because it's trying to swtich to 640x480, but it ends up going back to normal.

Hope this answers what you inquiring.

Thanks for the assistance.

Do you have an AMD graphics card?

If "yes", are you using the latest drivers?

If you answered "yes" to both of these, you're out of luck. No AMD cards bought in the last couple of years or using latest drivers work with this game that I am aware of.

On ^ that note, my nVidia card has issues running LRR. I force LRR to use the CPU's integrated graphics instead of the GPU and it runs perfectly. It may be possible to make that happen for your setup.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.