Weird Issue

thedmbarlow

Okay, so I'm trying to put together a modpack for LRR, all the best stuff, so I can play the game again, and review it "as improved by the community." (Partially inspired by Double Fine's lazy handling of GFR, but that's not really relevant.)

Of course, the logical first step is to get the game itself running. So I've been trying to do that. I've installed the game (using the Universal Extractor trick) and installed Cafeteria as well, to make sure I'm using the DLLs that'll work best with the mods I'll be adding later. And... it's not quite working.

I can launch the game using "RGB Emulation" (yeah, I know it doesn't work) and it runs fine (up until the crashing on level select, which seems to be normal). However, when I run the game using "Direct3DHAL" it just crashes out. If I use Direct3DHAL and "Disable Desktop Composition" it crashes the primary monitor out where the only fix I can find is to remove and replace the monitor power supply. 

The .EXE for LRR has it's properties set to run as admin, disable themes, disable scaling. I've also tried both XP and 98 compatibility modes, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions? I appreciate any and all help here.

it crashes the primary monitor out where the only fix I can find is to remove and replace the monitor power supply. 

Well thats the surely the most strange problem I've heard yet.

Do you have an AMD or nVidia card?

• Like 1

AMD. I have an ASUS HD7750-1GDR5-V2. 

Also, yeah. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy (I built my PC after all) and this one made me almost spit my coffee when I realized what was happening.

AMD. I have an ASUS HD7750-1GDR5-V2. 

Also, yeah. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy (I built my PC after all) and this one made me almost spit my coffee when I realized what was happening.

Yeah, new AMD firmware and drivers seem incompatible with RR. I have an AMD R9 series and no dice, bought an old laptop for it instead. You however may be able to install the old AMD catalyst drivers.... I think 13.1 was the last compatible.

• Like 1

Would you have any suggestion on a method/software for juggling drivers? I certainly wouldn't want to replace my main drivers, I do play titles like Skyrim and BioShock Infinite and Metro and so forth.

I don't know of any software that allows version switching unfortunatly. You could try dual booting, but thats a lot of effort for 1 game. Virtual PC, maybe, not many people have success with this on Windows though... so maybe Linux+Wine?, again, lot of effort.

• Like 1

Yeah, that'd be a bit much effort just for LRR. It just so happens that I'm getting a pair of older machines shipped to me, one tower/one laptop -- I suppose my best solution probably lies there.

Thanks for your help!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.