Black screen on startup

theheadhunter444

theheadhunter444

It's my first time installing Rock Raiders on my new computer. It's installed but when I start up the game theres nothing but a black screen. The sound for the Lego logo plays but after that theres nothing. According to task manager the game stops responding about halfway through the sound playing. Any sugestions? I am running this on Windows 7 64 bit.

A Lego Logo sound?

From what I remember there is no Lego Splash screen on the PC version, weird...

...Just a suggestion, but maybe you should lower the 64 Bit colour to either 32 or 16 Bit, but only when playing Lego Rock Raiders. You'd probably want to change it back when you are finished with playing LRR.

In-case you don't know where to change the Bit colour, open the spoiler below and follow it;

Right click on an empty part of your Desktop

Click "Screen Resolution"

Go to "Advanced settings" (Tip; "Advanced settings" is not a button, but as words written in Blue which you can click on)

Go to the "Monitor" tab in the new pop-up

Change "64 Bit" to either "32 Bit" or "16 Bit"

Click "Apply"

Close down the settings pop-ups

Run LRR

Give me a shout if it didn't work.

Same thing. The sound plays for the splash screen and nothing else.

Hrm...

...What version of LRR are you launching (as there are three; Standard, Enhanced and "Lego Rock Raiders")?

On 1/27/2015 at 5:07 PM, theheadhunter444 said:

It does the same thing for all three.

When you open LRR, do you get a pop-up named "Mode Selection" (it SHOULD come up when you launch "Lego Rock Raiders", not the Enhanced or Standard versions.

In the "Device selection" part of the pop-up, is there a selection other than "Direct 3D HAL"? If there is, select that and click "okay" to close the pop-up and start LRR.

If this doesn't work then could someone else figure it out? I'm all out of ideas at this stage.

From what I remember there is no Lego Splash screen on the PC version, weird...

yes there is l405G.jpg

Anyway... can your version run without the disk? If it can, try running it without the disk, and if it can't, then disable the AVIs.

Grab the open LegoRR1.wad, open the .cfg with text editor of your choice (Notepad WILL suffice for now) and find "DontPlayAVIs" at around line 100. Set that to TRUE. Save the cfg and recompile LegoRR1.wad (don't forget that last bit).

If that doesn't work... it could help...

theheadhunter444

I tried windowed mode but when I select it it says No supported 32 bit modes found. And I'm running on 16 bit colors

I tried windowed mode but when I select it it says No supported 32 bit modes found.

Have you tried setting the Bit colour to "32 Bit" and then try Windowed Mode?

theheadhunter444

It says the same thing

I tried windowed mode but when I select it it says No supported 32 bit modes found.

It says the same thing

I tried windowed mode but when I select it it says No supported 32 bit modes found. And I'm running on 16 bit colors

That's.... very, very odd.

You're absolutely certain you're running in 16-bit colour? Surely it would say something about 16-bit and not 32-bit... you're not emulating it, are you?

Try running it in compatibility mode for 95 or XP: that might help. Keyword here is "might." Keep it on anyway.

And you did try the other thing I talked about: disabling the videos?

... I fail to see how that would help...

theheadhunter444

You're absolutely certain you're running in 16-bit colour? Surely it would say something about 16-bit and not 32-bit... you're not emulating it, are you?

Try running it in compatibility mode for 95 or XP: that might help. Keyword here is "might." Keep it on anyway.

Well i tried disabling the videos. The game runs but the music isn't playing, the lighting is screwed up, the HUD is missing pieces and the game crashes when I start a mission after loading a save. And I tried running in compatibility mode. No luck.

Well i tried disabling the videos. The game runs but the music isn't playing, the lighting is screwed up, the HUD is missing pieces and the game crashes when I start a mission after loading a save. And I tried running in compatibility mode. No luck.

Music isn't playing: oh noes 111111 pls help l405G.jpg It's a ridiculously common bug,

Are you using RGB Emaluation on the Device Select screen for LRR? If you are, don't. Use Direct3DHAL instead.

Care to provide a screenshot of the screwed-up lighting? It's a bit difficult to know what you're talking about.

theheadhunter444

As you can see the entire cavern floor is lit up rather than having the spotlight that follows the camera. The only thing that responds to said spotlight are the cavern walls. Theres also the track object view on the scanner that doesn't have the green effect. And parts of the HUD are missing as well. And I already use Direct3DHAL

This is mystifying me more and more.

Try re-installing it. I know the colour on the tracking is linked to a .cfg value, which is supposed to be green. However you say it isn't. As for the lighting, I'm fairly certain that's also in the .cfg... you didn't change anything but the stuff about videos when you changed your .cfg?

Apart from those, you say the game is playable except for crashes after loading a save. That's a nuisance, but you can get around it by creating a shortcut and adding -testlevels to the Target section (right-click the shortcut and select Properties, and just add -testlevels to the Target section at the very end). That enables all levels, regardless of whether you completed the ones above them or not.

Another question; Where did you buy the game? Or what condition is the game in? Perhaps the copy you got might be broken.

As for the image you released, I'm fairly certain it's playable by the looks of things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.