Drome Racers in-game-only models in LDD

Toa_Of_Justice

Toa_Of_Justice

I made some educated guesses as to what the hidden areas looked like on the Stealth Roadster. There are several significant differences between my LDD model and the one from the game:

• The front flexible axle should be a single 14-length piece, but since that piece doesn't flex in LDD, I used a couple of 7-length flexible axles.
  • The tips of the flexible axles can't be colored in LDD. (As far as I know, they aren't colored in official sets either--it's always the whole piece that gets colored.)
  • The corrugated tubes inserted into the door panels aren't the right length, but I'd make sure to use the correct length if this model proves to be most popular.

With that out of the way, here are pictures of the Stealth Roadster! Click on any one of them for a larger picture.

stealthroadster1.jpg

stealthroadster2.jpg

stealthroadster3.jpg

stealthroadster4.jpg

Color variants (all possible to build in real life):

stealthroadsterblack.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadsterblue.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadsterbrown.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadstergold.png_thumb.jpg

stealthroadstergray.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadstergreen.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadsterlime.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadstermediumorange.png_thumb.jp

stealthroadstermetalgreen.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadsterorange.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadsterpearldarkgray.png_thumb.j stealthroadsterred.png_thumb.jpg

stealthroadstersilver.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadstertan.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadsterteal.png_thumb.jpg stealthroadsteryellow.png_thumb.jpg

LXF File

Personally, I think the silver variant looks the best, considering the other silver elements that exist in every other color variant of the Stealth Roadster. I also like the metallic green and teal variants.

The Tremor shall be next! Believe it or not, I once built a real-life version of the Tremor, but I took it apart long ago. It looks pretty easy to build based on the screenshots I took, but I would still appreciate a few screenshots with the side panels removed (and if possible, the front end without the steering rack).

• Like 1

The doors of the Stealth Roadster are asymmetrical. They're attached differently, and one of them is half a module closer to the front of the car than the other. I shoved the camera inside the seats for some of the screenshots.

Spoiler

Edit: Tremor:

Spoiler
  • Like 1

Toa_Of_Justice

The doors of the Stealth Roadster are asymmetrical. They're attached differently, and one of them is half a module closer to the front of the car than the other. I shoved the camera inside the seats for some of the screenshots.

Thank you for the screenshots of the Stealth Roadster and the Tremor. I am baffled as to how (and why) they made this door closer to the front of the car than the other. If I had my way, I would have either attached both doors like this one, or just stick with the method I originally used. But since I'm trying to be accurate as possible, I would appreciate it very much if you (or someone else) could at least give me a hint as to how the door closer to the front of the car is supposed to be attached. To me, it looks like it's just floating in space with part 32291 attached to it.

My guesses for why include: lack of available pieces to work with, some hidden functionality (perhaps one of the doors was hinged on the prototype model), or just artistic license.

On the other hand, the Tremor looks much simpler to build, though there may be a few areas (such as where the side fairings attach) that I'll have to make slightly differently from the in-game model because some of the techniques used in the virtual model don't seem possible to replicate in real life.

But since I'm trying to be accurate as possible, I would appreciate it very much if you (or someone else) could at least give me a hint as to how the door closer to the front of the car is supposed to be attached.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Probably just magic.

• Like 2

Toa_Of_Justice

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Probably just magic.

If that's the case, I think I'll just build both doors like the one that is farther from the front of the car, for the sake of making the model buildable in real life.

Toa_Of_Justice

Here is Stealth Roadster version 2, now with more accurate doors and a couple of minor tweaks.

Click any image for a larger one.

stealthroadster_v2_main.jpg

stealthroadster_v2_reardetail.jpg

I hid the rear fairings in the above image so you can see how I attached the doors. Below is a look from the inside, with a seat hidden.

stealthroadster_v2_doordetail.jpg

stealthroadster_v2_top.jpg

LXF File

• Like 2

Hi Toa of Justice,

very nice work! Glad to see that someone is still interested in Drome Racers in 2015!

I thought you could be interested in what the cars look like in real life :)

Dune Striker, additional parts needed:

Tremor:

I´m not quite happy with the front...

Could you please give me a parts list and some detail shots of the Torq Racer? Would love to build this one, too :)
  • Like 1

Toa_Of_Justice

Thanks for the compliment and the real-life model pictures, dromestars! :rracer:

Dune Striker: You did a fantastic job with this one. My version only needed the two gray half-pins in addition to the parts from Power Crusher, but I can see why you added the 5L axle and frictionless full pins. They allow for better suspension functionality and added strength near the front. Those are improvements over my version for sure.

Tremor: Another fantastic job. Your choice of wheels and color scheme is outstanding. I am still working on my digital version. I've been having trouble getting the flexible axles that make up the cockpit to fit just right, but I never thought to modify the front end as you have done. (I just might have to borrow your technique, or create something much like it!) One of the features of the original Tremor I really like is the independent rear suspension. If you mounted the rear wheels (and rear suspension arms) on separate axles, your model would have that feature as well. (When I post my digital version of the Tremor, I'll be sure to show how I implemented the independent rear suspension.) But joining the rear wheels on a single axle does add strength to the chassis, so that's OK too. How well does the steering work on your model?

Torq Racer: Here is the parts list. (You will need Microsoft Excel or another program that can open .xlsx files.) As for detail shots, if your computer can run LEGO Digital Designer, I highly recommend downloading that program and then using it to open my LXF file of the Torq Racer. That will let you look around the model as much as you want, take it apart, and even generate instructions. But if for some reason you can't download LDD, please tell me which areas you want me to focus on (or kinds of angles you need) and I'll take some detail shots for you.

Thank you very much for the links! LDD is just amazing!

I´m also glad you like the models.

I think the Dune Striker was actually planned to be an alternative model to the Power Crusher but didn´t make its way into the instructions.

The colour scheme on the Tremor was rather random... In the beginning it had the independent suspension (with these dark grey crossaxle with stop) but the have more friction and bend up before the shocks are even involved.

The steering worked very well after I had fixed two points of the steering rod to the chassis.

For the front end, i will try to get a  "Technic 2M Beam" and remove the bushings.

There will be some Brick...shopping necessary anyway :)

I`ll upload some pics when it´s finished (which is going to be in April due to holiday).

• Like 1

Toa_Of_Justice

Thank you very much for the links! LDD is just amazing!

You're welcome. :) I think LDD is amazing too. Ever since the beta version came out I've been using it very much!

I think the Dune Striker was actually planned to be an alternative model to the Power Crusher but didn´t make its way into the instructions.

That makes sense to me.

The colour scheme on the Tremor was rather random... In the beginning it had the independent suspension (with these dark grey crossaxle with stop) but the have more friction and bend up before the shocks are even involved.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I understand why you joined the rear wheels.

The steering worked very well after I had fixed two points of the steering rod to the chassis.

I fixed two points of the steering rod to my chassis as well.

I made two versions of the Tremor. The first was made with a more accurately shaped front end, and the second with a more creative front end, whose shape is somewhat inspired by your version. Both versions have some minor differences from the official in-game model (which were needed for stability, appearance, and buildability).

Click any image to see a larger one.

Version 1

tremor.jpg

tremor_front.jpg

tremor_rear.jpg

tremor_side.jpg

tremorblack.png_thumb.jpg tremorblue.png_thumb.jpg tremorbrown.png_thumb.jpg tremorgray.png_thumb.jpg

tremorgreen.png_thumb.jpg tremorlime.png_thumb.jpg tremormdorange.png_thumb.jpg tremororange.png_thumb.jpg

tremorred.png_thumb.jpg tremorsilver.png_thumb.jpg tremortan.png_thumb.jpg tremoryellow.png_thumb.jpg

LXF File

Version 2

tremor_v2.jpg

tremor_v2_front.jpg

tremor_v2_rear.jpg

tremor_v2_side.jpg

Black

Blue

Brown

Gray

Green

Lime

Medium Orange

Orange

Red

Silver

Tan

Yellow

(I would have inserted thumbnails like before, but I got the message "Sorry, but you have posted more images than you are allowed to." Rather than double post, I just made text links.)

LXF File

jamesster, please post screenshots of the Hornet whenever you get a chance.

• Like 2

The first version looks very much like in the game. Amazing!

Ordered many parts for the Torq Racer yesterday, lucky to find a shop that had many needed parts.

• Like 1

Hey guys, new here!

Recently I discovered an old box full of old games I used to play. I spotted a lot of Lego games too, including Drome Racers, which I have played a LOT. I decided to reinstall it too see if I was still able to play it.

After a while I wondered if I could build the models (I had the Raptor kit when I was younger), so I started searching for building instructions and ended up here. After seeing a lot of models already done, I decided to help you  :satisfied:

Hornet2.png

It's far from done though, the rear of the vehicle is not the way it is in the game, but it is buildable this way.

Might not be very stable, haha.

So, here's a list with features that need to be done:

- Lights, they are not possible with the in-game design

- Rubber tubes

- Steering

- Framework in the back

Some more pictures:

Hornet1.png

Hornet3.png

Steering issue, can't place the steering gear...

Hornet4.png

Well, see the rest of it for yourself, here's the .lxf file!

hornet.lxf

Greetings from the Netherlands,

- MvdL95

• Like 1

Thanks Jamesster for these pictures!

When I look at this model, it kinda confirms my thoughts about the Hornet.

It can't be build IRL, well it might be, but it will be very unstable due to a single link on the steering parts.

I will update the model to a second version, to make it in-game accurate in the next few days.

Meanwhile, enjoy this one. Never found a kit for it. I belive it's 95% game accurate.  :whistle:

G-Force%20Street1.png

G-Force%20Street2.png

I know that the middle 5m panels should have been the 10m ones, but it glitches in LDD. It does in Drome Racers too, if you take a good look. The 10m panels will probably flex enough IRL to make it work, though.

• Like 1

Toa_Of_Justice

@MvdL95: Very well done on the Hornet and the G-Force Street. Thank you for your help. (The G-Force Street, by the way, is the alternate model of set #8470 Slammer G-Force, so if you have that set, you have the pieces and instructions for either model.)

For the tubes in the fairings, I have an LXF template that has scaffolding which will take care of the alignment for you. Just attach your desired fairings to the black pins, then the axles will be lined up for you to slide the tubes onto. (All parts in that file are color-coded according to the reasons in this post on Eurobricks.)

To fit the steering gear in some of my other LDD models in this topic, I cheated a bit and lifted the gray axle/pins in their sockets a little, as well as adding a 1x4 plate to the steering rack. I don't think I'd need to do that in real life though.

@jamesster: Thanks for the screenshots. I see a few spots where the 3D modelers seemingly defied the geometry and/or physics of LEGO elements, especially near the back and in the middle. I like how MvdL95 built those areas.

EDIT: Here's my version of the Hornet. Click any picture for a larger version.

hornet.jpg

hornet_front.jpg

hornet_rear.jpg

hornet_side.jpg

LXF File

Color variants: The darker green and orange versions are not possible to build in real life, but the others are.

hornetblack.png_thumb.jpg hornetblue.png_thumb.jpg hornetbrown.png_thumb.jpg

hornetgray.png_thumb.jpg hornetgreen.png_thumb.jpg hornetlime.png_thumb.jpg

hornetorange.png_thumb.jpg hornetred.png_thumb.jpg hornetyellow.png_thumb.jpg

Here is another version with headlights and taillights.

hornet_headlights.jpg

hornet_taillights.jpg

LXF File

Next up will be the Tsunami Street! That one may take me a little longer than the others, since the #6 pull-back motor (in either variant) does not exist in LDD and therefore I will need to make it. Unless someone else wants to volunteer, that is. Also, I shall let everyone know in advance that the rear wheels and tires used on the Tsunami Street also do not exist in LDD, so I will need to consider alternate rear wheels and tires.

jamesster, please provide screenshots of the Tsunami Street whenever you get a chance.

• Like 1

I could have known it was an alternate model of The Slammer G-Force, hehe. It is one of the few kits I do not have of the Racers series, sadly. God, I used to invest all my savings in these kits as a small kid, haha.

And thanks for your appreciation! It was pretty hard to create the Hornet, I had to improvise a lot. Looking at your shot at the Hornet, it's way more solid and stable than mine, nice job! Had not thought about cheating a little  :B

I wanted to start on the Tsunami Street too, it always was the first dragster I built with my build coins. Too bad they don't have the pullback motor in LDD  :S

Oh, and for those still interested in the G-Force Street, here's the LXF: G-Force Street.lxf

- MvdL95

• Like 1

Toa_Of_Justice

I just finished making mockups of pullback motors 6 and 6a in LDD.

7351c00 - Motor Pull Back Type 6 7 x 5 x 3
motor6.jpg_thumb.jpg
Motor 6 picture borrowed from Peeron.
motor6.png
I tried to make this piece as accurately as possible. An axle can fit all the way through the white holes. The entire part is in a group for convenience of moving and/or recoloring.
LXF File

Not listed on Peeron, but only on BrickLink and mentioned by LEGO in an old FAQ: Motor 6a.
motor6a.jpg_thumb.jpg
Motor 6a picture borrowed from BrickLink.
motor6a.png
The FAQ from LEGO states:

Q: I have a Nitro Burner (8471) but the pull-back motor has a different shape than shown in the building instruction. What should I do?
A: Simply keep building! The new shape of the motor does not affect your Racer. As you can see on page 25 or 43, you can add black TECHNIC beams to either side of the motor and these can be used to build up the Racer.

Original FAQ page on the Internet Wayback Machine
The main difference of this motor is that the bottom beam is one stud longer than the previous one.
LXF File

MaelstromIslander

I was originally going to make some recolors of the cow. But apparently every single LDD save file was destroyed for some reason. Now i have to start all over again... Great. Keep up the good work though.

• Like 1

lol username

Getting screenshots of the Tsunami Street today. In the meantime...

The naming convention of the cars is a set number and sometimes a letter if it's based on a set. If it was designed by ATD, the name is something like "ATDTxy", x being the type (D, O, R) and y being a number. The T after ATD probably just specifies that they're Technic.

So here's all the internal car names:

Technic Dragsters

8471_h (Burner)

8471b (Burner Desert)

8473 (Grinder)

Atdtd1 (Tsunami Street)

atdtd2 (Behemoth)

atdtd3 (Mosquito)

Technic Off Road

8468b (Crusher Beach)

8468h (Crusher)

8469 (Raptor)

8469b (Raptor Stunt)

ATd_to1 (Dune Striker)

Atd_to2 (Tremor)

Technic Road

8470b (G-Force Street)

8470h (G-Force)

Atd_tr1 (Torq Racer)

ATD_TR2 (Stealth Roadster)

ATD_tr3 (Pulse Concept)

atd_tr4 (Hornet)

I also noticed some unused textures. There's some very non-LEGO wheel textures and wheel color variations (I don't remember if they ever changed in-game or not). There's also a small handful of "metal" textures, for one car and one chassis at least. Here's a comparison of a "metal" texture with the orange version:

wGvJjHh.png

I might try seeing what it looks like applied to a car in-game via the power of modding.

Edit:

Tsunami Street screenshots:

Spoiler

It's got some weird stuff going on.

• Like 1

Toa_Of_Justice

@MaelstromIslander: I'm sorry to hear that your LDD save files were destroyed. :( I hope that never happens again.

@jamesster: I think a couple of those dragsters (Mosquito and The Behemoth) should have been named with 8473, since both of them are actually alternate models from #8473 Nitro Race Team. And thanks for the screenshots of the Tsunami Street. It seems as if ATD used Motor 6a in that model. You're right about weird stuff going on. I think I'll need to improvise in a few spots, but otherwise it looks easy to build. I notice some of the parts look like they've been feasted upon by pixel-eating termites. :0 Is there a technical term for that?

lol username

It replaces complete blackness with transparency, which doesn't work so well with this piece in the texture:

okdriLq.png

• Like 1

Toa_Of_Justice

@jamesster: I understand now, thank you.

And now, here is the final LDD model I have planned for this project--the Tsunami Street!

Click any image for a larger version.

tsunamistreet.jpg

tsunamistreet_front.jpg

tsunamistreet_rear.jpg

tsunamistreet_side.jpg

tsunamistreetblack.png_thumb.jpg tsunamistreetblue.png_thumb.jpg tsunamistreetgreen.png_thumb.jpg tsunamistreetorange.png_thumb.jpg

tsunamistreetred.png_thumb.jpg tsunamistreetteal.png_thumb.jpg tsunamistreetyellow.png_thumb.jpg

LXF File

• Like 2

lol username

:thumbsup: 

Do you know which one you'll be building in real life? Maybe you mentioned it earlier, if so I don't remember.

Toa_Of_Justice

:thumbsup: 

Do you know which one you'll be building in real life? Maybe you mentioned it earlier, if so I don't remember.

I originally intended to make this topic into a poll to answer that question, but that didn't seem to work for me. I thought I could just count the Thanks/Likes beside each post. However, I just realized that some of the models I posted later on might not be as easily noticed and Thanked/Liked. Also, I forgot to make it clear when I started this topic that I would count those--I didn't even notice those handy buttons at first.

Do you think the following plan is fair?

1. Create a poll (if I have the necessary permissions--or else someone with more permissions can create it for me) with a voting period of 14 days so everyone can go through my topic and vote for their favorite model.
  2. At the end of the voting period, the poll should be locked so the votes can be counted.
  3. Create a second poll (or have it created for me) with a voting period of 14 days to determine the color of the winning model.
  4. Once that second poll is closed, then I'll order the parts for the winning model in the winning color.

Alternate plan:

1. Create one topic for people to post their favorite model and color.
  2. After 14 days, the topic is locked, the votes are counted, and I order the parts for the winning model in the winning color.

About the Dune Striker and Tremor: Since dromestars did such an excellent job with those models, perhaps they should be excluded from voting. He also plans to build the Torq Racer, so perhaps that model should be excluded from voting as well.

If you or anyone else has any better ideas to decide which model I should build, I'm open to suggestions. (How about a commenting period of 7 days to decide how to decide? :P)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.