LEGO Fun to Build: The first LEGO game? (Before LEGO Island!)

mumboking

Holy what. LEGO Island was supposed to be the first proper, fully released LEGO video game, being preceded only by the software that came with set 8250 from the same year. But, um, apparently this was the first LEGO video game.

Found a walkthrough:

ProfessorBrickkeeper

This is quite interesting, and I hunger to known more. It's a shame it seems to have only been released in Japan, although that would certainly explain why we didn't know of it's existence. Unfortunately, that may make it more problematic finding the developers who worked on this. I also checked and there seem to be no copies of this game for sale, although I did find a .zip of the game on some website which I intend to boot up in an emulator in the coming days. Also, from what I can see, the marketing agency Advance seems to have done the work on the cover image, which is quite reminiscent of old LEGO posters and catalog covers they did. Anyways, this is quite a neat discovery, and may end up reshaping some of what we know about LEGO's digital attempts and perhaps the Darwin project. (Who worked on 3D LEGO media, but who until now were always assumed to have pioneered the idea of a LEGO video game)

EDIT: Check out 29:00. A 2D digital LEGO builder in 1995!

And if you thought Alcom hated LDD's FOV...

Also, from what I can see, the marketing agency Advance seems to have done the work on the cover image, which is quite reminiscent of old LEGO posters and catalog covers they did.

The entire game is based almost exclusively on 1995 art assets from Advance - not necessarily meaning they had direct involvement, just that the creators of the game had access to their work.

MaelstromIslander

I remember seeing something having to do with lego island that looked kind of like this; It was in a corner veiw like LDD, only that the only buildable area was a green baseplate and there was a black background. No idea when that was released.

Anyway, Linking Leroy didn't link with the bricks correctly and failed. However, he was in 1992, this was 1995. So there was much more before LEGO Island and even this.

Waiting for someone to link a game before Linking Leroy, maybe even in between that and this.

lol username

e9Wjhv0.gif

Well then.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

So, any more Japan exclusives we don't know about?

I remember seeing something having to do with lego island that looked kind of like this; It was in a corner veiw like LDD, only that the only buildable area was a green baseplate and there was a black background. No idea when that was released.

Sounds like Bricks: The Ultimate Construction Toy. It's not official and has nothing to do with LEGO Island. We discussed it a bit >here.

Anyway, Linking Leroy didn't link with the bricks correctly and failed.

... Uh, what...? Linking Leroy was part of a C64 demo team's demos. They knew some guys at LEGO. That's it. Sounds like you're getting a bit confused here.

This is pretty incredible. It actually looks like LEGO Island 2 in 2D form, seeing as the player delivers pizzas and plays all sorts of random minigames in various worlds.

MaelstromIslander

... Uh, what...? Linking Leroy was part of a C64 demo team's demos. They knew some guys at LEGO. That's it. Sounds like you're getting a bit confused here.

Hm, i remember someone saying it was scrapped :/ Or, at least the commodore version i guess.

Sounds like Bricks: The Ultimate Construction Toy. It's not official and has nothing to do with LEGO Island. We discussed it a bit here.

Yep, thats it. And thats also the topic i found it in. Didn't know it was unnofficial though.

Also, LEGO no Sekai is 2002. But i guess this is kind of turning into the topic of "lets search for some japanese games we don't know about"?

lol username

Hm, i remember someone saying it was scrapped :/ Or, at least the commodore version i guess.

... What on earth are you talking about? It was a part of a C64 demo made by some guys who knew some other guys at LEGO. It's not on other platforms.

Also, LEGO no Sekai is 2002.

Are you just repeating info you've read (or more frequently misread) from other topics here...?

As for this thing, it's interesting that it exists, but the game itself, eh. Feels like somebody just said "here make us a LEGO thing" and then sent the devs a bunch of stock images.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.