Dark Forest Dash ghost

Noob Slayer

I had a quick question regarding the ghost in Dark Forest Dash. If you race on the track, the ghost leaves behind a trail, like so: 

Alternatively, this does not happen in the Demo run with King Kahuka (or otherwise, if you've so modded :P). I was wondering how to get rid of this. Does anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: Here's the mod for anyone interested 

Ooh, that's an interesting question. It could possibly be in the animation files... Have a snoop around the folder and see if there's any .ADB or .SDB files with a name like 'Ghost'. I could check it out later too possibly, I'm a little busy today.

vvvvvvvvvvv

There are files named GHOSTLY.GDB, GHOSTLY.ADB, GHOSTLY.SDB, and GTRAIL.GDB in the Dark Forest (RACEC1RO) folder.

^^^^^^^^^^^ WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

I reckon this is what you're looking for. Try going in there and blanking out the file, you can use the code below if you're not sure how (remember you'll need the Binary File Editor if you don't already have it):

k_27    // Materials
[1]
{
    "ghost" //Replace this with whatever is there currently
}
k_33    // Scale
(float)0.015625
k_2A    // Vertices with Colors (X,Y,Z,TU,TV,R,G,B,A)
[1]
{
    (float)0
    (float)0
    (float)0
    (float)0
    (float)0
    (byte)0
    (byte)0
    (byte)0
    (byte)0
}
k_2D    // Indices
[1]
{
    (byte)0
    (byte)0
    (byte)0
}
k_2E    // Indices Meta
[4]
{
    k_27    // Material ID
    (ushort)0
k_32    // Bone ID
    (ushort)0
k_31    // Vertices Range
    (byte)0
    (ushort)0
    (ushort)1
k_2D    // Indices Range
    (ushort)0
    (ushort)1
}

I received the following error in doing this:

ghost: Material assignment failed.

EDIT: Never mind, I had originally edited the file wrong. I did, however, receive an error.

"Memory could not be "read"."

I did, however, receive an error.

"Memory could not be "read"."

Hmm... If you're sure it's not another error like your previous one >here (if it was an issue with the GDB there'd be a different report), have you tried the steps >here? It may not apply to just Vista.

Other things you could test are:

• -novideo parameter in game shortcut
  • Reinstall the game with 's >alternate installer, then mod the GDB file again

They're just guesses though, I have no idea what to suggest otherwise. Hopefully this'll work for you!

It's not an issue with the SBK file, because the race starts, but the game crashes as soon as I reach the ghost.
I'll try the above suggestions, but it's starting to look like this may just be hard-coded.

the race starts, but the game crashes as soon as I reach the ghost.

Ooh, that's quite interesting, I've never had an error where the game crashes mid-race. If you really want to make the ghost trail disappear and the suggestions don't work, just mess about with all the GHOST/GHOSTLY binary files and see what happens. It's how a lot of modding is figured out. ;)

Crashing mid game is probably quite simple to explain. (This is just my theory). The ghost is not loaded (or uses part of the code) untill you get within a certain distance. (Many games have object render distance to decrease cpu power)

So here's something interesting: I edited the GHOSTLY.GDB file with the above coding . . . 
AND THE GHOST DISAPPEARED COMPLETELY.
I had to ask myself if pigs started flying.

(Many games have object render distance to decrease cpu power)

Don't you mean saving up? Decrease feels like implying that you're setting roadblocks in your CPU.

So here's something interesting: I edited the GHOSTLY.GDB file with the above coding . . . 
AND THE GHOST DISAPPEARED COMPLETELY.

I'm not sure, but could the ghost not just be invisible? In the sense of, all vertice colours are set to 0, and perhaps 0 is the default transparent colour for that texture.

I don't know. I usually warp past that point, and in doing so, I usually collide with the ghost.
This time, however . . . no collisions. I wonder if it was just plain luck?

...Someone should make a mod that replaces a flying object with a pig.

You, sir, win one free Internet.

There was no collision because the GHOST.GDB file has Bone IDs that weren't in the blank file I gave you. Assuming that the hitboxes to the ghost are added according to the position of the Bone models, the game wouldn't find any bone and therefore wouldn't add any hitbox. No hitbox, no ghost collision!

...Someone should make a mod that replaces a flying object with a pig.

Here is the pig. Now you just have to make it fly. ;-)

ZieI8mi.jpg

CRPELVIS hips and legs are sitting on the pig.

Here is the .GDB file from the pig (no bones - no connected textures): http://oresome.rockraidersunited.com/download/183

• Like 3

Guys.
Y U do dis?
Seriously though, I'm wondering if it's the Bone ID's that caused the game to crash when I first tried it.
Maybe I should change the other stuff, but leave them alone.
I'll try that.
*sigh* Here goes nothin' . . . 

IT WORKED!!! It turns out I only had to change everything above the indices meta!!
Now, does anybody have any idea how to get rid of those spark-like things behind the ghost??

Nice one! Great job figuring that out. As for the sparks, try looking for a texture with that effect first. It could be that they're in a weird file (GHB, is it? I can't remember) in which case it'd be a lot easier to just use a transparent texture in their place.

I have a feeling it'll be the GHOSTLY.GDB file, because when I blanked that file out, EVERYTHING disappeared. Ghost, ghost trail, and hitbox detection.
The sparks trailing the ghost might be encoded within this file.

Ah yes, that'd make sense, in which case I assume the sparks are coloured with RGBA values. An easy to work out which entry they are is to first blank out one Bone ID in the Indices Meta at a time (so, set its Vertices and Indices ranges to 0 0), recompile the game and check which part of the model disappeared. Once you hit the sparks, you can add up the totals of all the preceding Vertices and Indices ranges to see exactly where in the file the Vertices and Indices are for the Sparks and edit them, or just leave them blank to remove them completely.

And if you get it working, you can always upload the new GDB in the OP for others to use if they wish. :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Update: there is a BMP file called WIZARDTL.BMP which contains the sparks I was trying to get rid of. I recolored the texture with the transparent color and, lo and behold, no sparks, but in the beginning of the race, those same sparks follow the magic wand around the log cabin. So no sparks there either, but at least I made the ghost look like it does with an AI race

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.