LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin Announced

lol username

Apparently today is International Ninja Day. Neat. LEGO and TT Fusion are taking advantage of the date to announce a new game:

med_gallery_61_4_453507.jpg

In celebration of International Ninja Day, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, TT Games and The LEGO Group today announced the next instalment of the highly popular LEGO Ninjago franchise, LEGO® Ninjago™: Shadow of Ronin™, which comes to the Nintendo 3DS™ handheld system and the PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system in Spring 2015. Developed by TT Fusion, a subsidiary of TT Games, the latest LEGO handheld game delivers an untold story of the LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu TV show.

“LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin will be the most expansive adventure game through the Ninjago universe that we have ever made to-date,†said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games. “Kids will get a kick out of playing as their favourite Ninja warriors battling a new enemy with an exciting array of cool vehicles, mechs and even dragons!â€

There is a new threat in Ninjago, and his name is Ronin. With help from his army of dark samurai, Ronin steals the Ninjas’ memories using an ancient weapon called the Obsidian Glaive. The Ninjas forget how to use their elemental powers, and it is up to the players to help them find their Obisidian weapons, regain their memories and reclaim their powers before Ronin completes his plan and releases an even greater evil on Ninjago.

In LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin players will battle through iconic locales from the TV series, including the Ice Temple, the Toxic Bogs, and a mysterious new island, as well as visit the mountain village of Spinjago, where the Ninjas are currently training with Grand Sensei Dareth and Sensei Wu. Using their Spinjitzu abilities, players can unleash their Ninja’s elemental power to smash their way through enemies and solve puzzles. They can even team up and create multi-elemental builds using the Tornado of Creation.

med_gallery_61_4_804489.jpg

Sources: Gamasutra

Cool that we're getting a game that doesn't have a story based directly on the then-current content of theme it is derived from - that doesn't happen too often. It brings Maze of Shadows to mind - a 2005 game that not only utilized only 2001-2004 BIONICLE models, but was set in a relatively unexplored time period between the proper 2004 and 2005 storylines.

• Like 2

The moderators on the LEGO message boards just released this image with the message below.Invited.jpg

"A message has arrived from the future (2015 to be exact) inviting us all to the tournament

What tournament? When is it? Who is in it? thinking.png

We'll have to wait and see ... surprised.png

Check out the attached for a special sneak peek of Ninjago 2015. wink.png

Discuss your ideas and predictions here. thumbsUp.png"

Source: https://community.lego.com/t5/NINJAGO/Your-invitation-has-arrived/m-p/11781245#U11781245

Update: Also, a trailer and minigame here: http://www.lego.com/en-us/ninjago/ninjaday

The minigame features a short video of Kai fighting some new cyborg character.

There seems to be some sort of new blade they are hunting for, as well as some new characters.

Also, a new Weekend Whip Tournament remix here: http://cache.lego.com/r/www/r/ninjago/ninjaday/-/media/franchises/ninjago%202014/ninajday/tournament_whip_remix.mp3?l.r=-700866828

In all of that there are several ancient temple-like graphics in the background of the game, where Llyod is fighting in the trailer, and also in the end of the trailer where it is just showing the Ninjago logo, the background red image is reminiscent of South American temple art like the Mayans and Aztecs. Not to mention the background of the poster itself has these symbols. Probably something about the Temple of the Anacondrai, based on the leaked set images.

• 3 months later...

Gameplay ahoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V1Dt25oUc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctMBnV5ykrE

After watching these two vids, I'm gonna have to agree that the writing in this is miles better than the TV show (except for Zane's, which is a bit... eh?), and the pre-rendered cutscenes are much better looking than the show itself (the in-game cutscenes... not so much :P ). It also seems to fit in quite well within the canon of the show so far, which is pretty neat-o too.

ProfessorBrickkeeper

I already watched all the gameplay that had been posted earlier this afternoon, and I have to agree with what others have said earlier. The writing is generally better than that for the TV show (although credit where credit is due, the brothers Hageman did do a good job for their part on The LEGO Movie, with a wit I hope to see reappear on the Ninjago movie.) The writing and gags reminded me of that of LCU, which I suppose is no coincidence, and it is as ever refreshing to see TT games creating their own completely new stories. The voice acting has room for improvement, but I guess I have grown accustomed to the voice actors from TV show, and some of the characters have decent enough voice matches. As a whole, this game actually bucks the trend of TT developing games I don't want, and I could only wish to see it become more widely available. It is definitely an improvement from TT's rather stagnant pool of licensed games, just as LCU was when it came out. I suppose it is a testiment to TT game's ability to storytelling (though not necessarily QA testing.) *End of rant*

EDIT: To le717 and others, it would theoretically be possible to play the game as it currently is on a PC by using a Playstation Vita emulator coupled with the ROM and BIOS accompanying the PS Vita version of the game, if legally scraped from the cartridge and converted to something comprehensible by standard computer file systems.

Edited by ProfessorBrickkeeper
  • Like 3

Yeah wow, I'm really blown away by this so far. In the past I've had 0 interest in buying Ninjago sets but I'm just such a sucker for good writing that I'm now seriously thinking about picking up Ronin REX this summer - because Ronin is a seriously legit character. His VA is spot on, too, which is especially nice considering the VAs are one of the weakest parts of the game thus far.

Thought the game totally duped me with the fakeout first two levels. I thought for sure that it was going to completely disregard the show's canon.

I think the "bomb voyage" gag was the first time I've actually laughed at a joke from Ninjago. Jay overkilled it (I guess they had to keep up the tradition of Jay being the most annoying and unlikable person of all time somehow), but ignoring that it was great.

I'll probably get this game, since I still enjoy Tt games and this seems good.

I really liked the first wave of Ninjago sets (it didn't hurt that they appeared in LU), especially because white, black, and purple are an awesome combination of colors. The later stuff really turned me off the theme (nasty colors, and then generally ridiculous figures).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.